The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Purzell

Purzell No more scooters. :(

Oddometer:
    Hey all:

I posted a want ad in the classifieds too...I'm looking for a kick/electric model TW200 in clean registered condition around Nor Cal. Hoping to spend around $1600 max as that seems to be the fair norm per TW200 forum etc. I have been looking at the usual search places, haven't found anything yet or been too slow. Please let me know what you have, have seen, or have heard of via PM. I appreciate it! :ear

Purz in Sacramento
  2. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know where two of them are for sale. They have been sitting in front of a newly opened cycle store in Angels Camp for a couple of months, They look practically new, so probably more than what you want to pay. I believe some sort of consignment deal. Newly opened store, so not in the book, but if my faulty memory serves me it is called Micheal's Cycles.
  3. Surfn54

Surfn54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a good chain for the TW? Please be specific if possible......Thanks!

sURf
  4. Sycamore

Sycamore d00b

Oddometer:
    just curious here - anybody taken a TW into soft sand (beach or dunes)?
    If so, what's it like?
  5. zomby woof

zomby woof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did.
    It was better than a normal dual sport bike, but you still had to wrestle it through the sand.
  6. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
  7. goldenhtr

goldenhtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Surf, I use a 428HD chain, if you are running stock gearing 14/50 you want a 122 link chain. around 13-15 bucks online. By using a stock chain you will be adjusting it a lot, and replacing it at about 2000-3000 miles. I'm going to go to a O-Ring chain this year.

Tracy
  8. canuckstw

canuckstw n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    a quick pic of the bike in the shop as it's still full on winter here:)

http://tw200forum.com/forums/63626/PostAttachment.aspx

List of stuff done to the bike
    TTR225 Head Pipe
    Pro Circuit T4 Muffler
    Carb shimmed .04
    130 Main Jet
    Idle screw 2 3/4
    Baja design Turn signals/Brake
    Yamaha rack
    Pro Tapper Low Rise AT bar
    Maxxis 6006 Front tire
    Ricochet Skid plate
    DID O-ring chain
    Stock gearing

I've only used the bike about 200km as the trails are very icy and snowy! She is no speed demon on the road but a load of fun on the trails. Riders on snowmobiles could not believe that my friend and I on T-Dubs where that far into the forest trail:)

My next Farkles will be a Touratech GPS holder and Spot Device so my GF can stop thinking the worst when I'm not home on time:lol3

Take care,
    P
  9. smithy1

smithy1 rally bike slut

Oddometer:
    picked up a 2006 w/500 miles last night...
    [​IMG]

Wide pegs, carb jetting are 1st on the list!
  10. canuckstw

canuckstw n00b

Oddometer:
    Sweet looking bike with low miles:) Have fun with the Farkles!

P
  11. Paradox Pete

Paradox Pete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any T-Dub riders know where to get the adaptor plate so I can plumb in an oil cooler for hot weather?
    (A large capacity gas tank would be real fine, too.:ear)

Even before my T-Dub got "hack'd", I had noticeably high engine temps at low speed rock crawling.
    IMO larger oil capacity and keeping the life-blood of any engine cooler is going to help me keep from alot of premature/avoidable wear.

Paradox Pete
  12. goldenhtr

goldenhtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Paradox Pete

Paradox Pete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Surf,
    I am running DID O-ring chain and I don't have to keep adjsuting it despite heavy strain on it from 58 tooth rear sprocket and now an enduro hack.
    I've heard they have a lower friction sealed bearing chain as well that might not have the "drag" that the O-rings might give to the new tough chain.

I buy a few links too long and use a Pro-Motion chainbreaker that is in my tools/spares bag along wiht several masterlinks.

Paradox Pete
  14. Paradox Pete

Paradox Pete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of oil coolers and spin-on filter bases, but I have not been able to find any specific info. on HOW TO adapt the the trhee bolthole oil cover plate for inlet and outlet fittings.
    Mebbe there are somepix on the old chatter from tw200 forum that might be useful, but I can't find em' much less ""drill & tap HERE" kind of info.

Anybody have ideers on "how-to" or who to contact that would know?

Paradox Pete
  15. HenryJ

HenryJ S-10CREWCAB.COM

Oddometer:
    The links are there.
  16. Surfn54

Surfn54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paradox Pete or anyone else.......where do I find a "lower friction sealed bearing chain"?

Any specific details are appreciated!

sURFn
  17. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    My stock chain and sprockets lasted over 11,000 miles.... Why spend all that money on an expensive chain? Just get a cheapo and ride your bike.
  18. smithy1

smithy1 rally bike slut

Oddometer:
    I played with the carb this weekend. Swapped in a 132 main jet, jacked up the needle about 0.040" and removed the plug concealing the idle mixture screw.

Only real thing I can add to this procedure is that I used a sheet metal screw to pull out the plug. I did not use a drill bit at all. I threaded the sheet metal srew into the hole and yanked it out with pliers.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  19. mutt2jeff

mutt2jeff Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer:
    That is simply astounding, given just how bad the chain is. My GF used her tw to commute about 30 miles a day, and she was adjusting hers every week or so it seemed. We put the new chain on, and didn't adjust it more than once or twice over a couple thousand miles, still looks great.
  20. Surfn54

Surfn54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is an old saying...."Penny wise, Pound foolish"......I personally learned that lesson many years ago.
    A cheapo chain is not cheapo, it will really cost you more later. Even if you escaped the consequences this time, somewhere else, it will cost you alot more.

So my question was not "Should I get a new chain?....But rather "where do I find a "lower friction sealed bearing chain"?

Any help will be appreciated.

Surf