1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The yer a peein & taliban tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwdoug, May 11, 2010.

1. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    I headed to Ankara, road was pretty boring, but temp was nice, not so hot anymore.

I passed by this salt lake, I would have liked to ridden on it, but the salt was really rough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then I stopped for lunch at this cafe.
    I ordered the usual thing, a couple of sausages on a stick, rice, & salad. The basic lunch I have had a dozen times in turkey.
    I went to pay, & this asshole wanted 3 times the normal price.
    he wanted to play 'Lets Fuck the Foreigner!'
    I wasnt so keen on playing this game.
    everywhere else in TR, this lunch costs 10-12 lira. he wanted 29. n top of that, he was charging me for the coke, that I bought at the store
    next door.
    Things got a bit heated. I wasnt paying his price.
    A nice guy from the gas station next door spoke a bit of english, & tried to help, but I was a bit pissed, and wasnt putting up with this crap.
    I told him I'd pay the normal price, or he could just piss up a rope & call the cops.
    he didnt like that, & lowered the bill to 20 lira.
    nope. 12 lira or police, I dont care which.
    I'm putting on my jacket & helmet.
    finally he says, ok. 12 lira.
    I tossed the money at hit feet & got on the bike.
    there were several people around by this time, they all seemed to agree that he was trying to screw me.
    they were all shocked when I tossed the $ on the ground, one told me I shouldnt do that, as its very offensive.
    I said 'well, Fuck him, trying to rip me off is very offensive to me!
    anyhow, heres the cafe, the guy turned his head when the camera came out, but you can see the phone number of the cafe.
    So if anyone from Turkey reads this, feel free to call him, & tell the asshole that his picture is 'all over' the internet,
    and the american biker he tried to rip off has contacted the TR tourist board & reported his business. Maybe he wont rip off the next guy that comes thru. :)

[​IMG]
  2. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    awhile later, while going down the road, the bike goest pop----pop----and dies.
    I pull over, & notice one of the wires is leaking a little smoke.
    Turns out a wire I had used to hold one of the coils had broken, & it slipped, touched a terminal, & shorted out the other. I
    grabbed a zip tie & fixed it. hit the switch, & more smoke.
    shit.
    fried the switch!
    So I unhooked the ignition wires from the switch, twisted em together, & was back on the road.

I got to Ankara, & met up with Andi & Mehmet, who had invited me to visit.
    Andi took me to visit some sites around town, but the best one was the Burger King.... a whopper! hahahah

Mehmet & Andi

[​IMG]

We visited Attaturk's tomb, he was the leader during the revolution in the 20's, & its somewhat revered here. The tomb had a nice
    museum in the bottom, but no pictures allowed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    honor guard, lookin over the tomb, we even got stopped before we could enter, & they were searching cars, in case someone wanted to blow up the dead guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they graduated from Monty Pythons institute of funny walks

[​IMG]

then we went to the fortress above the city for lunch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    there used to be a roman fortress here, & when it was built in later years, they used many of the old bricks with roman writing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Did they run out of matching uniforms?

[​IMG]
  6. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    we stopped by a market, here you can buy sacks of tobacco by the kilo
    I bought a pack of Camels while in Turkey, & oddly enough, the packs here dont say 'made with American & Domestic blends'

[​IMG]

Then I found a couple 'Mosque Clocks'
    these have special alarms that go off, telling people its time to pray. and they dont buzz, they have a little speaker that plays
    the 'call to prayer' itself, so its just like being near a mosque, the same quality even, sort of like a strangled cat underwater.
    I put the big one in the bar at the motocamp, & the small one I will save to put under the beds of 'special guests' so they can be woken up at 4am
    so they can wake up, wash their feet, & say good morning to allah.
    I am sure this gesture will be much appreciated, especially after a night of drinking.....
    Also, as Poly acquired a puppy while I was gone, I play it everytime I give her a bone or something, so soon whenever I play it,
    she will come running (the puppy, not Poly) and I can show people that I have a muslim dog.
    hehehehe

[​IMG]

Also, I needed a new switch, we went to a guys car shop, but all he had was an old one that was a bit questionable, so I went to the Turkish
    Home Depot, & got a couple light switches, one for ignition, one for lights, & now its all fixed :)
    (this was a holiday in TR, and no auto parts stores were open)

At the car shop, we had to have some tea!

[​IMG]

parked around the corner was this really cool old Ford Taurus from the 60's, I loved the styling

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    We stopped by a military air museum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    I bet one of these switches would have worked good on the bike, but they would probably
    frown on me removing one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

had to stop by the local harley shop, of course they didnt have a switch

[​IMG]

Monday morning, Andi, cleaned up & heading for work, & I hit the road for Istanbul

[​IMG]
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that you're back with more, let's put this one back on top for a while longer so inmates can catch up, thanks for the updates :thumb
  10. eldomike

eldomike Who Cares Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then I found a couple 'Mosque Clocks'
    these have special alarms that go off, telling people its time to pray. and they dont buzz, they have a little speaker that plays
    the 'call to prayer' itself, so its just like being near a mosque, the same quality even, sort of like a strangled cat underwater.
    I put the big one in the bar at the motocamp, & the small one I will save to put under the beds of 'special guests' so they can be woken up at 4am
    so they can wake up, wash their feet, & say good morning to allah.
    I am sure this gesture will be much appreciated, especially after a night of drinking.....
    Also, as Poly acquired a puppy while I was gone, I play it everytime I give her a bone or something, so soon whenever I play it,
    she will come running (the puppy, not Poly) and I can show people that I have a muslim dog.
    hehehehe

You can bet I'll be checkin under the bed the next time I stay at the Alabama Compound !
  11. kahlgryndiger

kahlgryndiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow ... Andi is looking respectable when he's ready for work :D First time I see him in such a dress :D
  12. quicktoys2

quicktoys2 ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer:
    Doug, you should of called the Police ... the tourist police to be exact. They take this kind of tourist robbery very serious. I believe the number for the police is 155 and Gendarme is 156.

I hate pricks like that .... it probably also happens here in Greece, but for the most part all prices are listed so it is not as easy.

By the time you finish this trip your bike will have more car and home parts on than original Harley parts ........ got to love it
  13. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Doug, I have a couple of questions.

How many miles did you get out of your tires? They are looking a bit worn in this photo, not that I would expect anything different from a dual sport tire under a heavy bike.

Also, since I know you dont have much else to do and are just laying around fat and happy. Can you post a photo of your tool kit please. Just wonder what and how much you carry. Can't be any more than I carry on the oooh raal.

Yankee Dog
  14. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    after 20,000 km's, (12k miles) the front is shot. I'll take a pic of it, along with the tools, when it quits raining, & Im thinking about it.

the rear is about 1/2 gone, its held up really well. In fact, I finally repaird the rear tube last weekend, only because it went flat as soon as I aired it up. doin that once a day didnt bother me much, but every 15 minutes gets to be a pain....
    I didnt even swap the rear with a new one, even tho I have one here. and Ive been to lazy/busy to replace the front.

Doug
  15. rizzlesticks

rizzlesticks disenfranchised

Oddometer:
    OK it took me three days of tab-switching at work and in class to get through all the pages of this, I can't believe I missed this after being awestruck by your ride last year... Amazing ride and report as always, thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Also, this bird looks like it could get grounded with a BB gun!
    [​IMG]
  16. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    Hey COOL! My last time through Bahrain and Quatar in 99 a buddy on my ship bought one of those and drove the whole air detachment nuts! UN-believably annoying.

It ended up being "detained" :deal and when we crossed back over the Mariana Trench, it was granted the honor of a tour in the deepest part of the Pacific.

... along with a broken stairmaster machine that the blackshoes wouldn't get out of our hangar for 2 months.

I like to think they both achieved neutral buoyancy somewhere very very deep and maybe had a few calls to Allah for the sub-sea critters.
  17. asphaltmueller

asphaltmueller nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Oddometer:
    my turkish is way not good enough to have understood the description of the plane, but I think it was a student project to build a plane on the specifications of a pre WWI Bleriot, the first plane which crossed Turkey or so
  18. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    entertaining read, Doug. Thanks so much for the updates!:thumb
  19. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    and it had jap dirtbike wheels, with disc brakes! :lol3
  20. asphaltmueller

asphaltmueller nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Oddometer:
    What Doug didn't mention was that he had a sort of culture shock in Ankara after eastern Anatolia and the touristy Kappadokia; it indeed is like an other country

[​IMG]

and yes, that's her bike

there are few which would dispute that Ataturk was one of the greater statesmen of the 20th century - that he had a taste in cars is without doubt - here his Lincoln; we saw his private Packard, too
    [​IMG]

Keep the rubberside down & may we meet again, Doug, it was great to have you with us

[​IMG]

ps: I asked Doug if it was OK to highjack a little