The yer a peein & taliban tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwdoug, May 11, 2010.

1. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    The question is not how does Doug find the money but how do I find the money. Come on guys, let me in on the secret. What are the numbers I should play? Is there a secret handshake? This working all the time is really starting to suck: I WANNNNNNNNNNNNNNA GO PLAY:freaky :freaky
  2. Hoots Magoon

Hoots Magoon Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer:
    Priorities, Priorities, Priorities. Look around you and decide what you need to live on. Cut out everything else. Do you need 7000 TV channels? Do you need that mocha chocha llama latte? Do you have to go out on Saturday nights? In order to go on these types of trips, you have to live a meager life, sacrifice, and save.
  3. kvsoldseca

kvsoldseca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as discussed, probably not a good discussion for open forums.
    Doug provided some in-site already though.
    If you truly want to know.. best to IM Doug directly. ;)

Also:

4. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    I think JamieZ is the guy who posted some of his travel expense calcs a while back... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315322

It is an interesting question. I couldn't find that much with google ADV searches. Maybe worth a new thread?

Hijack off :augie
  5. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    No secret to how he does it..."A country boy can survive" :-)

Plant me firmly in the "it's none of our business" camp. Enjoy what the man does for this community & try to figure out how to do it for yourself if that's what you want.

Doug...enjoyed meeting you and Poly at Barber, & hope it went well for you. Sorry about forgetting your Dr. Pepper:-)

And thank you for the No Flat stuff!

[​IMG]
  6. WOXOF

WOXOF Just wander'n

Oddometer:
    Peter and Kay Forwood have riden to every country in the world on their Harley Davidson.
    There are posts from them over at HU. Google is your friend.

Nate the Postman on a Honda CT110 from Australia to England.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631

It is not the type of bike, but the desire to go for an adventure.
    So just pick a bike and go.

Now lets get back to Doug's Adventure
  7. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    I already do it that way, which is why I can travel:D

Now I want to have a film crew and support wagons, porters and reservations. It just ain't fair I'm not rich.

Actually, I've followed some people's travels and they earn their living doing that: being a travel writer or photographer or travelling and writing books about it. I lack those skills so I need the numbers.
  8. cynicwanderer

cynicwanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a friend who is an independent TV producer, she just finished trip from LA to Terra Del Fuego for a travel documentary. no support caravan. it was four people (producer/assistant/camera man/audio engineer), in a 4x4 SUV for 6mos and a cell phone. she has done other trips in other parts of the world to produce documentaries, but this was the longest. the trip was sponsored by a TV network (foreign), who provided the truck, etc...

it's a lot of stress, work, planning, last minute emergencies/changes, lots off stress, personality conflicts, running behind schedule, having the network pressure you, customs, making sure stuff doesn't get stolen and then months in post production. even though it would seem an adventure of a lifetime for us, it's really hard work for her. did I mention it's stressful...lol. I don't have the skills/talents needed to get paid doing this either, but if I did, I'd be up for it.

9. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    So get to work and develop them. All writers and photographers where not born. If long term travel were easy it would hold little value. The more value there is the harder the work is to get there. So get your rear in gear.

ps: It is best let someone else evaluate your living "meager". Most are not capable of really being honest with themselves.
  10. Bendernz

Bendernz Torrential

Oddometer:
    Please stop cluttering this thread with the "how does Doug/I fund this travel? stuff. It's his ride report dammit.

If you want to dissect that topic, start your own in ride reports - it would be a heck of an interesting topic given the wider feedback it would attract (hopefully).
  11. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does Doug fund his trips? By charging those you ask questions about how Doug funds his trips. Both the 2 wheeled kind as well as the "other" kind.:1drink
  12. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:

Well...Mr. Doug hasn't posted much lately...

...we're just keeping this thread alive while we wait for the next show to begin!! :photog
  13. eastCOeric

eastCOeric Adventure Cruiser

Oddometer:
    True enough. Is there really any harm in asking, though? If Doug chooses not to answer, then it's none of our business. Accept it and enjoy the Ride Report!
    Thanks for bringing us along, Doug!
  14. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Bear in mind with a camera crew, contract, foundation obligations etc it could turn into a mad, probably stressful rush where leisurely enjoyment is harder to attain eg http://www.worldriderz.com/
  15. ennui acedia

ennui acedia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> "how does Doug/I fund this travel? stuff.

Speaking there-of, indeed it’s a private matter of Doug and we should respect
    his right and privilege. Besides, if you seek you will find enough riders on the
    forum that have crowed plenty on what they have spent, how they have become
    self appointed ambassadors, philosophers, seeking to find themselves, write trite
    books, quitting their jobs and ad nauseam. BORING.
    What Doug has done is very special , unique and genuine, KUDOS Doug.
    BUT specially what everyone has over-looked besides his blog, building his own bike,
    And riding a rigid H.D. is that it’s a foot-clutch & hand-shift . You can go to the
    tip of the world on any bike or even a genetically engineered mule with braces, B.F.D.
    [FONT=&quot]But foot-clutch hand-shift ,,,,,RESPECT. RESPECT, RESPECT:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    [/FONT]
  16. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of a ride report I read several years ago where the Cute Canadian Border guard ask the guy on a KLR coming back from the North country, How he could afford to travel like that. He told her something to the effect that he had a beautiful wife at home whom work hard so he could go play and ride about. She darn near had him stripped searched. :lol3

May as well say something while waiting for Doug to reappear. :freaky
  17. FatTirePlease

FatTirePlease Still rollin'

Oddometer:
    How he could afford to travel to Canada on a KLR?:lol3

Damn, must have an oil well in his back yard!
  18. obee1

obee1 riding is better

Oddometer:
    well said bored and lazy guy. the fact he builds his bikes takes his RR's to the next level. looking forward to more doug. thanks for sharing.
  19. deputy963

deputy963 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really need an update, Doug. I'm going through withdraw here and the symptoms ain't pretty! :huh
  20. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    psst? summer is over, I suspect so is the trip. :cry

:stoned