Theft Recovery 950 Project

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by FabOneUp, Oct 25, 2017.

1. FabOneUp

FabOneUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up a recovered 2006 950 last week and am going to need some help from you guys in the know. I have had a chance to look it over pretty well and have some definite concerns, but nothing too scary....yet. It was in the wrong hands for about 4 weeks. The inmate I got it from believes they were going to part it out and I am inclined to believe him. It is missing several things, but all the major components are there. The worst thing is all the missing fasteners. Only a hand full were recovered.

The first step of making a list of everything missing (that is obvious anyway) and getting a general idea of completion cost and whether or not to abandon the project is already done. I'm keeping it and proceeding based on a projection of about a $4000 to $5000 total investment. That is assuming the motor is good. This will be with all my personal favorite goodies included.

Second step is to get it running. I am just about there.

I also got his recovered '04 R1150GSA that was stolen at the same time. The GS is mostly cosmetic issues and is already running and well. That bike is going to be no problem, but I am seriously going to have to lean on you guys for some (or lots) of the 950 project. I have always wanted one of these killer machines and I am not sure why it never happened until now, but here we go!!! Any help you all can provide with this project is going to be greatly appreciated!

DSC_0464.jpg IMG_2776.JPG IMG_2777.JPG
    Corsica101 likes this.
  2. tdewitt

tdewitt gas'n it

Oddometer:
    That's going to be more then a 2 beer project.
    DirtyADV, chevtech and Whodatschrome like this.
  3. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the pictures it doesn't actually seem to bad.
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    As for fasteners, check on eBay. There are a bunch of salvage yards parting out bikes and thye usually sell the fasteners in a pile for $40 or so. Might seem like a lot of money at first until you start tallying up what they cost from KTM.
    nk14zp likes this.
  5. FabOneUp

Oddometer:
    Ha! Ya, this is one of those projects that could turn a guy into a full blown alcoholic.

I studied the pics the guy sent me and felt exactly the same. Once I saw it in real life, I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't gotten that "Holy crap, what the hell have you gotten yourself into?" feeling yet.

I'll keep looking. All there is now is someone from Italy trying to get 200 plus euro's plus another 60 for shipping! That would blow the budget all to hell.

Look what I found in my oil tank! The oil cap was missing and I guess this was the temporary one made from terry cloth that just fell right in. I sucked all the oil and debris out with a fluid evacuator. The oil looked great otherwise. Glad there is a screen in there though for my initial start up. I am going to run it and warm it up to get an idea of the engine condition.
    IMG_2775.JPG

Two of the intake vacuum plugs are cracked (both on the right side) and one is missing on the front left side and unfortunately looks like it has been missing for a long time. The vacuum port on the left rear has about a 12" hose hanging from it. Here is a pic of the bore scope getting a better view of the open port.
    IMG_2779.JPG
    Montana Maniac likes this.
  6. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try and get as much as possible together and hopefully the list of what's needed won't be too much , things like fasteners can be found on fleabay and such, think your right about cleaning out the oil tank, have you put a battery on it to check milage?
  7. FabOneUp

Oddometer:
    I do have the new battery, but haven’t hooked it up yet. He said it had about 20,000 on it. I have some ignition wiring to sort out before I do hook it up. When they hot wired it they pulled a few wires from the harness connector. This is the best pic I have and it’s not too good. The original switch and pig tail are missing completely. I am hopeing when the new switch gets here it will have the correct color codes so I know where to put the wires back in the connector. The small connector ends are also jacked up and I am trying to source those next. I did see how to hot wire these, but I think I would just rather wait for the switch and fix the connector pins.
    0CCEFD22-A8F0-4C18-B9B4-A1FEE0C6B4B8.jpeg
  8. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fabone my ignition was busted on my 950 but just the lock part, I still have it, I'll see if I can get a decent photo of it and send it to you, hopefully it may be of some help.
  9. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll take one of the loom part as well.
  10. FabOneUp

Oddometer:
    That would be fantastic!!
  11. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @FabOneUp - I think I have a stock 950 headlight around from when I swapped to the Euro light. It's yours if you want it. Give me a day or two to see if I still have it. Got an orange stock front fender too, but it looks like you have the original black one. Anyway, let me know if you want either one.
    G
  12. FabOneUp

Oddometer:
    Yep, I am good on the front fender, but that headlight is very much needed!! I will make it right if you still have it. I'll pray you find it to the parts gods tonight! :bow
  13. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    I have some 'spares' too... shoot me a PM with your needs
  14. FabOneUp

Oddometer:
    Super sweet! I will as soon as I can.

Thanks for the ignition wiring pics mountaincadre. Your timing was perfect. I just got the ignition switch in today and I picked up the pin connectors from my local KTM dealer. Might have it running tonight!!
  15. FabOneUp

Oddometer:
    Here is the ignition kit. The quality is excellent. I only paid $158 USD shipped from the UK. All the locks were drilled and the fuel caps wedged open and damaged. This little kit from Tecnium sorts several of my issues!

Attached Files:

16. FabOneUp

Oddometer:
    It’s snowing out so we gotta crank up the ridiculously clean burning waste oil burner and see if we can get this bad ass KTM going!

Attached Files:

chevtech likes this.
  17. chevtech

chevtech Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a good place to work!

[​IMG]

This is a great kit and I have used so much of it! As far as I can tell they are the same bolts the factory supplies!

https://www.ebay.com/i/152156600836?chn=ps&dispItem=1

:beer

PS I use to own that same red Snap-on box in your picture! Nice box!
  18. FabOneUp

Oddometer:
    :beer Thanks! I built this little shop about 6 years ago and it has since then remained only about 95% done. But it has a good roof, its warm, and has pretty good lighting.

Ive had that Snap-on box for over 20 years! Its been a very good companion. Sounds like your has been too. :thumb
  19. FabOneUp

Oddometer:
    IT'S ALIVE!!! :happay

Had a few issues with backwards terminals on the starter solenoid, a blown main fuse, and no push button start. Once I got that stuff all sorted (except the push button start) and mounted the single left tank, it cranked right up with a solenoid jump. It runs very, very good. I let it warm up and revved the crap out of it to see if I could get any smoke out of the tail pipe. There was none! Tack and display work too.

After it ran for awhile and I shut it off, it started to drip oil from about three different spots! I'll post a pic and see if you can see where it dripped on the table. Scared the crap out of me until I realized it was all coming from one spot...the oil sending unit. Whew! You can tell its been leaking for awhile. It puddled up in the cylinder valley started to run down both sides. The throttle is a little sticky and requires me to hold it shut to get to a complete idle. I'll have to do a little adjusting there when I pull the carbs and do a valve adjustment check. I'll clean em up too and make sure we don't have any debris and check the jet sizing.

The photo's haven't streamed over to my computer yet. I'll post them from my phone.
    DirtyADV likes this.
  20. FabOneUp

Oddometer:
    DF92B3A3-613A-4C25-9A9F-D32CDE9A33E4.jpeg 05D08AE9-C848-4676-8F69-05508F4DE09C.jpeg