These are my Adventures

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TheDecepticon, Apr 18, 2016.

1. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pictures. My wife and I both want to eventually visit Australia. She wants to see the parts with the amphitheater and the big red rock. I want to see the part in this ride report. Who knows, hopefully we will both get what we want, sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, I'll show her these pictures and lobby my case. Wish me luck!!
    TheDecepticon likes this.
  2. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for stopping by for a look. :D Between modern telephones and the scenery in Tassie, it is easy to take nice photos and appear a genius with a camera. :lol3

With over 2700km between Ayres Rock and Devonport in Tassie, it will be a stretch to do it in one trip unless you are here for an extended stay, however; sir, I wish you luck! :clap
  3. GelandeRoadie

GelandeRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, really nice RR. Just been through the NSW and Tasmania trip, fantastic.
  4. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, nice of you to drop in and say gidday. :D
  5. orry

orry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice trip, my wife and I are riding over from WA to Tassie on part of a bigger trip planned starting in april cant wait
  6. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    You will love Tassie! Its hard to know what and where to photograph, everything is such a postcard. The north and east coasts is very populated and quite touristy in spots. The south and the west are unpopulated in comparison and some parts, although not really far from anywhere can feel quite remote. Happy to help with GPX tracks and info if I'm able to cover an area you are interested in. Also have a bit for South Aus, although most is back roads and trails. Trans Australia Trails is a good resource for tracks and routes when you are in the planning stage.
    http://transaustraliatrail.com.au/
  7. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. Brilliant photos.:clap:clap
  8. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dee Cee, I'm glad you liked them. :D
  9. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Nice stuff, it's hard living here, we're just to the south of Mt Roland.
  10. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks KTM Geoff! :clap
  11. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Having been quite hot and camping trips and outings limited, I decided to partake of the Bendigo Ramble put on by Biker Bits of Bendigo. Never having been on a paid/guided ride I thought I'd give it a go. :dunno

Cost was $195.00. This included 2 x morning teas, 2 x lunches, 1 x breakfast and 1 x evening meal with snacks and water along the way. Morning teas included tea, coffee, water, soft drinks, fruit, lollies, biscuits and chocolate bars. Lunch on Saturday was cold rolls with lettuce, tomato, cheese, ham and chicken with tea and coffee, etc. Dinner Saturday night was campfire BBQed sausages, chops and patties with the regular salads and drinks, BYO own alcohol. Sunday breakfast was bacon and eggs any way you wanted them, tea, coffee, etc. The finish in Bendigo was at the park in Kangaroo Flat and was more BBQed delights and salad, etc. I can honestly say it was very well catered and we did not go hungry. :clap Too bad if you were a veagn. :(

The route included quite a few farm tracks to get us out and away from Bendigo but that changed late in the day on Saturday getting towards Melville Caves where there were some cracking bits of narrow, a bit technical hill climbing tracks. Camping was at the Melville Caves Campground which was a pretty good spot. We climbed up to the top to have a look after making camp. Supposedly, a bush ranger calling himself Captain Melville used it as a hide out.
    After a great BBQ dinner it was time for some serious drinking and bullshitting. Was a great time with plenty flowing of both kinds.

Too soon it was bed time and then up again Sunday for a great breakfast then more tighter, slightly technical tracks back towards Bendigo. Too soon it was all over and it was time to do the 650km slab back to Adelaide. The weather ruined any plans I had of doing the silo trail and camping out, but hey, that will always give me another trip to do! All told I did 1700 km in the three days. Had a blast riding back despite the weather that got better the closer I got to SA, so I decided to go for it and got home about 10 pm Sunday night after another 8 hrs on the road plus the morning part of the Ramble. Luckily for me, the decision quite a while ago to upgrade my light and fit a light bar made the night riding so much easier.

We lost one guy Saturday morning as he had an off at the Crusty Demons's Pit. Luckily he went to hospital to get checked, he had a fractured vertebrae. I took my chain guard off on Saturday at the Devils Play Ground, looks like my chain might be too slack as it seems to be the cause of the chain guard breaking. One guy bailed Sunday morning as he got a call from his wife and had to go and the sweep, Alistair, was crook and had to head for home. With all the ins and outs, that left 9 out of 13 of us to finish the Sunday leg.

All I can say is that I had a ball, got to spend three great days on my bike, met a heap great people and had more than enough to eat and drink. I think everyone just clicked, no body seemed out of place and there were plenty of smiles all round. Big thanks to Mark from Biker Bits for putting it on and to Alistair, Mark's mate, for the sweep duties and to Mark's step son, Matt who drove support, what a great kid(bloke)!

Pit stop on the way over, outside of St Arnaud.
    [​IMG]

My campsite at Rush Dam in Greater Bendigo National Park.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The route for the weekend.
    [​IMG]

Checkpoint Charlie on Saturday morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Morning tea at English Bridge.
    [​IMG]

Lunch at the Devil's Playground.
    [​IMG]

Refueling at Bridgewater.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Campsite at Melville Caves.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The view and walk around Melville Caves.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rest stop at Tarnagulla for photos on Sunday morning.
    [​IMG]

Mark of Biker Bits and myself.
    [​IMG]

Matt and myself.
    [​IMG]

My only casualty all weekend!
    [​IMG]

Link to the Biker Bits Ramble video.

I must note that all pictures are mine except for 4 of the Melville Caves Walk, donated by Andrew on one of the XT660z Teneres. :wave
  12. Valleyam

Valleyam South Australian Tiger resistance group

Oddometer:
    Angaston, Barossa Valley, South Australia.
    Been following marks youtube site for a while now an considered going on one of his rides. Not really set up to ride over there at the moment but may consider it in the future. Looks like he is well organised and the rides look like fun with nothing over the top. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
  13. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hi Valleyam, yep, was a good ride. Nothing too hard for loaded bikes and pretty good tracks/trails, good catering, not too many riders and everyone was friendly and communicative. I thought about trailer-ing the bike over and back as it was 1300km of slab but where is the challenge in that! :lol3

Mark is a good bloke as well, what you see is what you get and the same with Matt and Alastair.

Would I go again, definately. :clap
  14. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the same Trip with Mark from Biker Bits back in 2016. It would have been the hottest ever. We were riding around in 40+ degrees.
  15. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Yes he did mention that one. Seems like he has had them all, the hottest, the wettest and ours, the dustiest! I hope your experience was as good as mine! :clap
  16. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it was. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Would do another. Even asked if he could do one in reverse order?
    Mark was also looking at some other Ramble rides but I guess things have changed since then.
    Also on our ride $50 of the money from each rider went to the Royal Flying Doctor.
  17. Sol Erzenberg

Sol Erzenberg Lost somewhere

Oddometer:
    G'day, where abouts is the car graveyard ?
  18. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    OzCr0w likes this.
  19. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    Great reading and pics too. Thanks for sharing