Things Dealers tell Customers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ak_diane, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    ?

Why did you quote these without making a comment about them?

--------------

Anyway, something that people just aren't getting here...

GM's only care if the salesman got you in the door, and if the salesman made the sale. Period. Complaining to a GM after you were stupid enough to ride off with a bike, instead of giving the sale to a salesman you deemed worthy, exacerbates every problem you think you're solving by buying and only then complaining about the salesman.

People wonder why they get the salesmen they get - it's because they are getting the salesmen decades of buyers just like you have cultured. :lol3
  2. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

I just really felt this should be preserved.
    There are parts that would a make great sig line .:lol3
  3. Conedodger

Conedodger Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    :clap That's how it is done!
  4. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One wonders. I recently bought a Husky Stradda at the Long Beach BMW dealer referenced. I talked to both sales people there. Both are nice and competent. The GM took me on a tour of their service area ( it is nice). The OP must give off some negative vibes is all I can think of. When every dealer ignores you, maybe look to yourself for the problem. Possible hygiene issues?
  5. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you can't believe everything but after 50 or so folks experience the "exact" same problem then maybe its not an internet legend.
    I've heard the same dumb ass remark from an ignorant service manager about very well documented issue(on the internet) on four different "brand specific" forums. The company said there was no such issue.

Are you one of those types who think their company or their mouth breathing employee's "never" makes mistakes? Got news for ya. Happens all the time.

I once had a local guy tell me my transmission was going out. Took it to a transmission guru, he hooked it to a scanner and diagnosed as the computer going bad. $200 later for a new computer verses $2000+++++ for a new tranny.
    Some folks would have let the first guy replace the transmission without question. After all, he IS a mechanic with a business! If I hadn't know about the transmission guy I may have let him replace it too. I would hope my mechanic would have made good on it but most business's sure as hell wouldn't eat the cost of their misdiagnosis. They'd be out on the street in no time.
    All that is required for a business to display the ASE certification"plaque" is to have "one" employee certified. The others can be right off the street with zero experience . But they'll never make any mistakes will they? :lol3
  6. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

Why did it upset you that I saved the post?
  7. Gonzoso

Gonzoso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In September of 2012 I saw on cycletrader a new leftover KLR 650 listed for 4,900 bucks at this place Island Powersports in Massapequa long island.

Now I've been calling around all in my area and the closest KLR was 45 minute away in red(didn't want red) and they wanted 7,200 out the door after fees and taxes.

So I fill out the loan app and leave a message with island powersports. They call me back and tell me the 2011 is no longer there, but they can sell me a blue 2012 for just 5,200 bucks.

So they started with a nice old fashion bait and switch. Still a better deal than I could find so I bit.

Talking with the finance guy he quoted me at a 3% apr loan with 3k down.

I show up with my buddy and his Tacoma to haul it back.

I check out the bike, it's beautiful. I talk to the sales guy and he ends up ringing me up for a total of 6,500 out the door with taxes, license fees, NY temp tag, PA plate etc. It's still 700 cheaper than the bike I don't want.

Then they bring me in the finance room and quote me at a 9% APR. Now I kinda flip out in a calm and logical way and got myself a free tank bag. I paid the bike off in 8 months, so the APR didn't hurt me too much.

My problem was they knew I was coming from PA and I had no leverage as far as negotiations go as I had just driven 3 hours with a truck to haul the bike.

Bait and switch, 1,300 dollars in "fees" and lying about APR to get me to come in. That's Long Island Powersports. Still cheaper than getting a new one locally.
  8. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't upset me. Just trying to jog your brain. Remember you said it yourself..
    Yes, there are. Too bad some don't comprehend or believe the "other" sides story. Must be from 45 years of being on one side of the issue. :D
    I can't tell you how many folks I've heard say the service manager was incompetent, ignorant of the brand he serviced and told people they didn't know what they were talking about regarding well documented issues(on the net) they were having.
    But its not their fault right?

So will 45 years of dealing with ignorant sales and service people. :D

See how easily the shoe fits the other foot? :lol3
  9. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

:lol3

Too funny.

Edit to answer your question.

There are parts that would a make great sig line .
  10. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be even funnier if it weren't true. :1drink

I assume you've never ran across an incompetent sales or service employee's? If so, you lead a blessed life. :pope

I'm not saying all are that way but there are a lot out there who don't their ass from a hole in the ground...to believe otherwise is like...
    [​IMG]

:lol3
  11. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering who's the funny guy here.
  12. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

Do you have a direct question?
  13. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes but just thinking that I have to ask it makes my head hurts.

But here we go if it's what you need.

You already said that there are always 2 sides of a story, right?

Now, forget the fact that you've been in sales for the last 45 years and answer these simple questions:

Can you envision that even if:

There are bad customers (those you don't want), bad finance/service/sales/whatever rep can exist?

There are pretty good finance/service/sales/whatever rep, bad ones still exist?

Now, with your own selling background in mind, can you envision that talking about bad experiences on a forum has nothing to do with you and your work? That it's not a against you each time you read something about a bad salesman or whatever?

Yes, there are usually 2 sides of a story. But we only have one. We don't really have a choice here. Why should we automatically reject it? Because you said so? Were you there? Why should we doubt the veracity of these stories? Because bad customers exist?

In fact, here's the most important question:

Can we still share our bad experiences at dealerships or should we stop since it hurts your feeling, having been in the sales business for the last 45 years?
  14. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

:ear
  15. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, you don't have to agree with everything said on this forum.

You are, indeed, welcome to voice your opinion. I'd say more; since you're from the other side of the fence, your experience is very welcome and can help us to understand and see the whole picture differently.

Where you're, IMHO, wrong is the way you pass this "knowledge". You use your experience to judge without knowing the whole story.

You can bring arguments, paint a different picture, share your experience...but all you did here is saying "You are wrong, I know it because I have 45 years of experience in sales so I saw a lot of bad customers".

Your "opinion" does not lead to discussion, it sounds narrow minded by your "experience".

But since you agreed with the fact that bad salesman (or whatever you are) really exist, I think there's hope. ;)
  16. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    I'm not really a long winded poster.
    Remember, I'm also a consumer, and go to the same retail shops as everyone else.

I have made sales that I wish had never happened.
    If a buyer is unhappy, the whole dealership is then subject to try to please this person. Parts, service, cashier, even the janitor must meet his expections.

The profit from the sale is soon eroded from the extra attention and the bad mouthing the unhappy customer is proud to supply.

As always..ymmv.
  17. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually there's THREE sides to every story.

Party 1
    Party 2
    And the TRUTH
  18. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's more accurate to say that there are N+1 sides to every story, where N= the number of parties involved. :norton
  19. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  20. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    This is a MOTORCYCLE forum. Screw the car dealers.

I took my R1200R in for a fuel strip. I had an appointment and rode right past the dealer I bought the bike to take it to MAX.

They were nice. I was waiting, and looking at the bikes. A salesman said "Is there one you would like to ride?" I said Sure, an 800. An F800 R would be best. He said they had a GS or a GT. I chose the GT. I signed a waiver. He put a plate on, described a test route and said "Be back in 1/2 hour".

I cam back and he asked if I wanted to ride anything else. I was eyeing the K1600 but said no thanks. There is no chance of me buying a K1600.

They fixed my fuel strip. No problems. I signed the papers and left on the rest of my 3 day trip.

David