Things done when not riding

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Beet, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Half the houses are rentals so they keep their grass to a reasonable length, say ankle height.
    The home owners, if which l am one, vary our grass from bowling green perfect to knee high like the bloke over the road. In 11 months I've seen him once, heard him twice.
    My lawn has gone to weeds, going to tear half it out in a year or two so l don't care for it much.

14 scarf joints today for my little Skerry.
    IMG20200901160135.jpg
  2. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still plugging away on the garden,way bigger job than I anticipated!:D
    20200905_123441.jpg
  3. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Did your labourer get up for a ski this year Dave?
  4. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    No mate,too busy sorting out the new digs!
  5. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Shit season anyway, I don't think she missed much. Serious garden you got there.
  6. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
  7. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
  8. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Mate its a Yamaha not the water bike equivalent to a KTM a Sea-Doo

used 32 litres for the 100km over the 3 hrs engine time, Ski holds 70 litres, its very economical at cruising speed one up, its a 3 seater so you can chew more especially if its bumpy or windy.

Like with my bikes I’m pretty gentle on the throttle and set the cruise control for between 38km/h and 60km/h depending how smooth it is. That sits the engine between about 4900-5800 RPM, its only a medium powered engined size ski, but a good one.

except for this one bit close to home where I decided to give it the berries :D i think Relive is fibbing a bit though, most I saw on GPS was 75, but it was starting to get blurry so who knows

6B4980E4-AF8D-4434-95F9-F5FF0CF98569.png

Wodger63, mrsdnf and a2zworks like this.
  9. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Shame its not a BMW water bike then - you'd never have to refuel it eh? :lol3

Looks like an awesome area to play in.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  10. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    i don’t live in the flashest suburb or have the flashest house, but the boat ramp into a river that goes into the bay is 1.4km away, and the start of the mountain twisties or dirt is 20min away, while being right near a choice of 3 major arterials and 23km from the city, and at the beginning of the highway to the sunny coast, so its got lots going for it
  11. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    I built a " Badger " Thames Wherry 4 or 5 yrs ago..still haven't got around to making or buying oars for it yet...needs 2 sets.
    Did you use a hand plane for the scarf joins? I made a jig and used a router to do my planks. I built a 9 ft dinghy in the 70's...it never got oars or saw the water either..a couple of young blokes bought it to go prawning.. DSCN0051[1].JPG
    DeLewis, mrsdnf and nevgriff64 like this.
  12. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it looks like I’m not the only one boat building at the moment. Looks great Tenerrod. I’d like to tackle a vessel like that when I’m done building my first wooden canoe. It’s the ideal Covid project - would not normally make the time for this kind of project. Mine is a ‘Gecko 425’ designed by the Wooden Boat centre in Melbourne. Took me three attempts and untold amounts of cursing to get the scarfs joints to my liking.
    7EA273D9-B39A-4798-96ED-D6BFBF9C5EF3.jpeg DFA129A2-F6F9-4A9F-9A81-73AF2D45BC03.jpeg E87DB56F-4DB2-4AA0-9C37-3530616DAA7A.jpeg
    a2zworks, mrsdnf, BergDonk and 2 others like this.
  13. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Yes slowly and carefully is my approach and you're not alone, l re-did my scarf joints back to bare ply.
    DeLewis likes this.
  14. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Scary scarf joins..I thought I might end up with a shorter boat..:eek7
    DeLewis and Tenerrod like this.
  15. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My mate inherited an old wooden canoe from his older brother. He was very excited and sanded, caulked and painted it.

He lived a fair way from the water and couldn't wait to use it but thought he'd better check it was really waterproof.

He figured that if it held water in it would hold water out so he stuck the hose in to fill it up.

Guess what happened.
    DeLewis and Tenerrod like this.
  16. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    :gergWot..
  17. cobrin

cobrin Live to Ride - Ride to Live

Oddometer:
    water inside it compromised the structural integrity?!?!? and now it's in hundreds of pieces.
    UncleGra likes this.
  18. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Unc, that’s a fine looking boat - but a boat that has never been to sea is almost as forlorn as a pub with no beer! Is there somewhere in your whereabouts you can dip an oar or slide in the keel...?? Sheesh, I’d have a paddle if you lived closer :)
  19. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Yep your right Viktor..I was told that it would be a car topper, because it's a lightweight skiff design...B.S. It'll need a trailer, it's 5.8 M long. dont know the weight but it wont be going on my s/wagon. One day I'll extend the trailer I have under my sailing dinghy...and I need 2 pairs of probly 9 ft oars.

Lake Hume is not too far away, had a paddle in my kayak today, its been probly 35 yrs since it's been in the water..that's the red and white thing sitting in the rowboat.
    Motorbikes have ruled for the last 15 yrs..

This movie has a similar rowing boat featured...a bit more heavy duty than and fancyier than what I have.

My father built a 12 ft plywood runabout with a small Villiers Stingray outboard when I was about 14 or so..he never got in it at all, but he let me use it on holidays.
    DeLewis likes this.
  20. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a modern way of saying it shat itself - and it did!

All the nail/screws were pointing in the wrong direction to counter pressure from the inside so it spontaneously dismantled.

However, he was able to reconstruct it before his brother found out and was able to use it a little. It was way heavier than a single person could carry so not convenient to transport - and he didn't have a car.
    cobrin, UncleGra and DeLewis like this.