Things done when not riding

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Beet, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wooden boats suck, gave away my last wooden boat, pity that poor bastard he’ll never find the time to use it as he’ll always be maintaining it. ;)

Seriously, that is some nice craft there fellers, I wouldn’t start a project like that despite how much I’d love to, I know I’d never finish it. I do have full plans for a Norwalk Island sharpie, maybe I should start where @Tenerrod is and work my way up....
    Tenerrod likes this.
  2. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Did those plans for the NIS come from a bloke in Mt. Barker Paolo..?
  3. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. Bought ‘em a hundred years ago when I was still in the Deep South.

Shit they sail well.
  4. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    I like the Nordic folk boat..would need a pop top cabin for me tho..any down the deep south that you know of..?
  5. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    I have ambitions to build a CLC Chesapeake 17 one of these days.
    https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/kayak-kits/touring-kayaks/chesapeake-17-sea-kayak-kit.html
    Of course before I do that I have to finish the CNC router I’m building, but before I do that I have to finish the room in my shed that the CNC will live in.
    I’ve also got a Lada Niva I’m working on, all the bikes need servicing before summer, the coffee machine needs a clean, I should also be spending a day cutting up the big Blackwood our neighbour felled for us a month or two back.
    To top that off we’re in the planning stages of building a new house so I dare say there’ll be no boat building for me any time soon :D
    Paul124ac, Boxa and nevgriff64 like this.
  6. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    You need one of these PP..
    [​IMG]
    tomo8r and prestonpaul like this.
  7. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    I’ d probably put it down somewhere in the shed and never see it again :lol3
    I did manage to clean the coffee machine and mark up the house plans for the draftsman to revise so today hasn’t been a total write off :clap
  8. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Lada Niva? Wow. I had a chance to buy a pretty much brand new Toro many years ago, it had been sitting in a dealership for years then in a shed after the dealership went tits up, had demo miles on it but was 10 years old.Ive often wondered what a Brock Samara would be worth these days. I do have a couple of Fiat twin cams that apparently bolt up fairly easily in Nivas PP.
  9. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    Nivas came out when I first started driving so I have a soft spot for them, I like the whole simple utilitarian vibe of them.
    The Toros were pretty neat, alloy wheels, pin striping and if I remember correctly, Australian developed fuel injection with a haltec ECU.
    The Brock Samaras are worth bugger all now unfortunately, mostly due to the fact that they are Ladas and no one really knows much about them.
    Twin cam fiat motors are a pretty common upgrade in a Niva, not quite bolt in as they need a custom sump and the front diff mounting needs to be changed I believe as they normally mount to the engine.
    Paul124ac likes this.
  10. Small-bore

Small-bore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought there would be more model train enthusiasts on the forum. I started with Lionel and kept with it over the years. Here's a few pics, with some G scale (ceiling layout) too. DSC00584.JPG DSC02218.JPG DSC02216.JPG DSC02212.JPG DSC02219.JPG DSC02394.JPG DSC02396.JPG
  11. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Small-bore thats some years of dedication.
    My question still remains with that stuff.... once you've got it to that point, does the interest fade? Sell it and start again?
    Looks like you've a ton of rolling stock under the table too.

Since I was a kid with a model train set and growing out of it, I've not been interested in model trains. Can still appreciate it of course.
    Would love to do a trip in the cab of a locomotive though..... the Ghan, the Overlander, Indian Pacific. Even a shorter freight train. Anything that follows the route of 4wd and bike trips I've done, for a different perspective of the trip and terrain.
    billyt53 and Small-bore like this.
  12. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoa. That is incredible @Small-bore, I think I could spot a Crown Vic towing that Airstream? A Packard Carribean? Studebaker Hawk? Not going to try and guess the engines, I know just enough to not call a loco a “train”. I’ve still got some old Hornby and Lima stuff under the house in Tas, nothing like that tho.

Don’t know if you watch “Boulder Creek Railroad” on the tube of you? That bloke has some skill, amazing dioramas.
    Small-bore likes this.
  13. Small-bore

Small-bore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. For me, yes, the interest does wane a bit over time. I feel that can also be said with other hobbies too. It was more fun to build (wiring, bending track, carpentry), but I do enjoy sharing it with others. I'm older and not really interested in starting over, but an HO sized setup would be nice... if I was 20 years younger.
  14. Small-bore

Small-bore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I'll check out the Bolder Creek Railroad. Get your Hornby stuff out and start enjoying them... again.
    Paul124ac likes this.
  15. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Yair good one Paulo..now I'm gunna get nothing done..idjut..searching Boulder Creek Railway..
    Nice on Lake Tallangatta yesty tho.. DSCN3527.JPG DSCN3532.JPG
  16. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see it getting used, the old bloke in Wod who passed it to me would love seeing it out there. Best boat I never owned.

There you go, just to set you off down the rabbit hole. Some people are bloody talented. His river Murray scene is a fave, reckon I’ve fished there.
    nevgriff64 and BergDonk like this.
  17. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Looks great. I'm sort of planning a new dedicated shed and getting mine up and running again in the not too distant future too. Sorta gotta now that @Flodder passed on some of his bits and pieces.
    Small-bore likes this.
  18. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still working on the garden cannot believe how much gear is needed to stick a couple of bits of wood together!:D
    20200920_145220.jpg
  19. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Are you Rabbit proofing the garden or is the fencing work just to keep birds out ?
  20. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    The wildlife camera shows we have kangaroos,possums,bandicoots and rabbits, all like the new shoots and we have lost basically everything we have planted,plus of course birds!
    It'll be finished next week to.get the spring planting in
    mrsdnf and Boxa like this.