Things I've learned in first 4 months of R1250GSA ownership

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MikeLSV, Sep 1, 2019.

1. MikeLSV

MikeLSV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my GSA (low suspension 2019) for four months now and 'learned' a few things through trial and error, wasting $, and reading posts. The biggest one is tire pressures - but I'll get to that.

The bike: confidence-inspiring. I don't feel a lot of difference between Dynamic and Road but I also am not a hooligan. Electronic gizmos are fun. I leave ESA in Auto. No issues at all with bike other than a front wheel 'within spec' that isn't quite round. More on that below. I'm at 2300 miles, so not exactly on expeditions but we'll get there.

Big gripes I've been trying to solve for myself (5'8", 180lbs):
    - 'Vibration' at highway speeds - to make a REALLY long story short, my factory front rim (spoked) was slightly out of round and my Bridgestone A41s were very likely over-inflated. A new set of Michelin Anakee 3 later, at tire pressure set using tables and not the computer, and all of the wobble/thumping is gone. Interestingly, front wheel no longer has two weights on it either - but back wheel picked up some weights... I also asked shop to do the 'throttle body' synch and they said they did. Bike felt much smoother after all of this was done. Maybe it was the lighter wallet.
    - Buffeting at highway speeds - tried different helmets, different heights of GSA screen, and a VStream windscreen. None of them did the right trick. I've pondered getting the GS screen and trying it. Have a X-creen inbound. Fingers are crossed. In 'dead wind' the factory GSA screen really isn't bad and I would think a slightly lower seat will help too...
    - Seat comfort for long rides - tried Touratech (comfort low) and Sargent seats (standard sport) and they didn't quite satisfy - have a set of exclusive comfort seats coming from Sierra BMW next week.

Successes:
    - Bought factory panniers - they are great!
    - Bought Bose QC20 - they are a godsend! Below 70 there are no issues, above 70mph with crossing traffic they hiccup slightly - worth it to me.
    - Adjustable BMW rider footpegs (the ones with rubber in middle) - good but don't isolate vibrations as much as I would have thought
    - Anakee 3s. I know a lot don't like them, but the ride compared to Bridgestone A41 is more plush. Yes, they howl from about 55-70 but below that or above they're fine.
    - GSEmotion toolbox - perfect size, stashed lots in it, watertight so far.
    - ZTechniq stabilizer kit - bought for taller windscreen, have kept it on factory GSA screen. Rock solid.
    - HVMP bar end weights - easily took away half the handlebar vibration I felt.
    - Aerostich elkskin gloves. LOVE
    - BMW rallye 3 jacket. LOVE

'Failures (subjective, of course)':
    - Tried Sena 20S speakers in helmet - hated them. Fit, volume, etc just didn't work for me.
    - Tried VStream windscreen (tour) - well made, worked TOO WELL - no airflow. Also was in my eyesight line and I hated that - even in lowest setting.
    - Grip Puppies - Didn't do much for vibrations and I hated the size (I had the slimmer of the 2) of the handgrips with them on. HAVING SAID THIS, really a nice product. I was VERY impressed at the workmanship and care in packaging.
    - Bridgestone A41x - maybe I had a bad tire, maybe I just overinflated them thanks to the TPM and 'temp corrected' settings... but they were / are much harder than the anakee 3s. I presume this is for wear/multi-compound the anakees don't have... I put 2000 miles on these and they are in my garage - I suppose one day I'll put them back on and know for sure.

Slowly but surely the bike is getting dialed in. I wish I had tried 'normal' cold tire pressures based on my own gauges long before I spent so much money on tire balance, new tires, TB synch, etc. I'd say if you are feeling rattled by your bike, this is probably the best place to start. I'd read a ton of posts about tire pressures and chose a solution based on the manual and my interpretation from the myriad of threads on AdvRider and others (MOA, R1200GS).

Cheers,
    Mike
  2. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    \

Glad you are enjoying!

RE buffeting-

I have the three different BMW windscreens (standard GSA tall, GSA Rallye same as standard GS screen, and GS Rallye screen which is the shortest just barely longer than the plastic covers for the screen mount.) I like all three but tend to rid with the shortest one most of the summer due to Texas heat, just finished 3000 mile trip to Iowa Wisconsin Missouri Arkansas (Ozark riding is great!) and very little buffeting with this shortest screen.

I differ from you in that I am 5' 6" and have Low Rallye bench seat so my noggin is lower than yours with respect to the bike.

I know one couple who got rid of the screen altogether but I like to keep bugs off the GPS, and my stubby screen does give a bit of a "pocket" when at the high position if I am riding very fast in headwind so the peak of my Arai XD4 is not in the windstream.

TR
    58508417624__3959F866-6ECD-4585-8DB0-C494653D574B.jpeg 58508426458__5CD22582-D547-4F02-ACBB-B5778782BC28.jpeg
  3. Yeti Man

Yeti Man Yep, I'm that guy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting.

I get my GSA on Tuesday. Just finished a two week ride in Ireland on one, came home and bought one.

Yetters
    side-burn and MikeLSV like this.
  4. wanderlost

wanderlost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regarding the windscreen issue. I am happy enough with mine so far, but on my Triumph Tiger, could never find the sweet spot. Then I got a Madstad Screen and it transformed the bike. I could ride at 80 MPH with my faceshield up and had no wind roar or buffeting. They do make a screen for the GS and I believe have a 90 day return policy if you are not happy. Maybe give that a try???
    MikeLSV likes this.
  5. JurgenB

JurgenB daily rider

Oddometer:
    throttle body sync on the 1250? I thought both throttles are ride by wire, motor actuated and electronically synched??
  6. Jetskifast

Jetskifast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Things have found after two months of ownership.
    Advrider has cost me $10K in add on’s and riding gear for my bike.
    Love bike, 3k miles in trips so far.
    Many more trips planned.
  7. MikeLSV

MikeLSV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what I thought too. Mechanic swore they could tweak electronically. Not too sure how they did that though...
  8. MikeLSV

MikeLSV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation and the pics!
  9. IrishCatholic

IrishCatholic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably a silly question, but how did you enjoy the Ireland trip? I've been considering one for several years.
  10. Yeti Man

Yeti Man Yep, I'm that guy

Oddometer:
    IC

The trip was AMAZING!! Booked thru Celtic Rider (www.celticrider.com) and rode the 14 day Wild Atlantic Way route. Really the best way to see the isle and you get a real sense of what the country and the people are all about. 2020 I will go back and ride a different route covering the central part of the country and a 7 day extension over to Scotland. Two islands, loads of amazing roads and lots of whiskey!

Yetters
  11. German

German Ich liebe Bayrischen Mist

Oddometer:
    My bike came with the Bridgestone A41x and I absolutely dislike them. There is a pretty loud riding noise from the front tire. I am planning on switching to a softer tire soon. Thanks for the feedback MikeLSV I will try to adjust the tire pressure to see if the noise disappears.
  12. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah right. I think they may have just tweaked your wallet. I would report them to BMW if they claim they " synched your throttle bodies " Thats something you could do to Camhead engines and older , not a water cooled engine with ride by wire .
    bobw likes this.
  13. oclv454

oclv454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In your first four months of ownership, have you figured out how to reset both trip 1 and trip 2 odometers? With all this technology, you’d think they could make resetting trip odometers to zero easy.
  14. jackfis

jackfis n00b

Oddometer:
    bring the odometer screen on, move wheel to the right, reset all and voila
  15. Beecher Snipes

Beecher Snipes Fool

Oddometer:
    you mentioned you thought your tire pressures were over inflated. you should check your own pressures with a hand held gauge every week or two not the computer read out. Get a little closer to your bike by doing some of your own work.
  16. MikeLSV

MikeLSV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - that's absolutely what I've been doing. Working like a charm.
  17. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    100% here with you regarding the QC20's .. probably the best set of headphones and micro-phone on the planet and off it when at 30 000 ft above it.

I had the Sena 30 directly after the 20 as I thought it may improve things but it did nothing at all.

I just hook my phone to NavVI by Bluetooth plus the system as a whole and it does everything I need ... Sirius for music .. Apple music for downloaded music when no phone service even though I have a Samsung phone.

Telephone answering .. listening and speaking no issue.

Nav VI talks to the phone which goes through the QC20's.

The Sena was a complete waste of time as it would connect and for no reason, it would change what it did and when it would do it.

Have 2 x Sena 20's and a 30 for anyone out there looking for them ..

I run two 1200 GSA's (One in the US and one in Australia) but have the R1250RT also in the US .. different models/rides and engines but to be honest I notice very little difference between the 1200's and 1250 apart from the riding styles.
    I am not 100% sure what 1250 gives extra as I can hardly distinguish the Shift Cam and I guess it would be the same on the 1200 if it were available.

Warranty is 3 years and to be honest, a good mechanics and service (In some locations) is a good thing.

JVB and Adam C have me doing more to the bikes now though !! .. oil changes .. shaft spline greasing and with the GS911 can do the brake fluid changes whilst keeping the ABS happy although not sure it is really ever required.

Just aswell they are Bose QC20's ... if they were BMW QC20's they would be three times more expensive.
    JimVonBaden and MikeLSV like this.
  18. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been hearing more and more about the QC20’s. There’s no discomfort when used with a helmet?
  19. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the Schuberth E1 and never an issue. They send three earplug fittings and I found the smallest size is the tightest fit and most comfortable even though I have standard ears.
    If I am going a long time through dirt and rough dirt then I just put a small length of thin 3M medical tape over them and then my helmet .. takes 2 minutes and stops any vibration from dislodging them. Just poke a small hole in the tape and then it can let any trapped sweat or moisture can escape.
    They are quite pricey but you can use them 100% of the time when travelling or by the swimming pool etc .. the Sena's have one use !.