Things to do in South Central/South West AK?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by WhicheverAnyWayCan, Aug 24, 2019.

1. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Looking for some ideas of few things to do in South central/west AK south of Anchorage. Best fjord ride? Fishing experience? Or simply places worth visiting for scenic and/or history.

Talkeetna for glacier plane ride is definitely on the list. Assuming the weather is nice and a go, is there still a reason to visit Denali NP? Maybe other than to camp out if weather is nice?

Note: I've been to AK in 2016 but it was a short visit because I still had long trip in front of me (to Argentina) so I have only been to Chicken, Fairbanks, Deadhorse, Palmer (Hatcher Pass), Glennallen, and Tok before heading out. Next trip will be in group of 3-5 riders and we plan to explore Alaska 2-3 weeks. The plan is to start with south part of AK while we still have good road tires before heading up to Fairbanks where I will recommend we ship tires ahead to Dan and get it changed there for the Dalton then for Dempster before riding south to lower 48. It just make sense to get the chance and see AK before assaulting Dalton/Dempster.
  2. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Seward has a good boat cruise, I had relatives do it about a week ago. there is also the sea life center

Homer is beautiful and Anchor Point is as far west as you can drive in this hemisphere without taking a boat ride

the Kennecot/McCarthy ride is a good one. beautiful scenery, big rivers, glaciers, interesting history.... read "the copper spike". touring the processor plant is way cool

as for tires... there are a number of dealers here that will order for you and save the shipping. unless you get some smokin' deals, full retail at a local shop will be cheaper than the best deal + ship it FBKs
    WhicheverAnyWayCan and AKDuc like this.
  3. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Alaska is well known for fishing industry so I was wondering if it is worth going fishing on a charter boat? But the thing is that if we get big fishes it is not like we can take them home with us.. sell it for $? or ? And I checked for Alaska fishing license info.. I couldn't find this on Alaska fishing license page but if I was to go on a charter boat is that considered sporting or commercial? Thanks!
  4. Beezer

Oddometer:
    a charter is sport fishing (for you). not exactly cheap. north of $300 each, closer to 400. and a non-res license....

Nonresident 1 Day Sport Fishing License $25.00
    Nonresident 3 Day Sport Fishing License $45.00
    Nonresident 7 Day Sport Fishing License $70.00
    Nonresident 14 Day Sport Fishing License $105.00.... it goes on from there

can not sell sport caught fish
  5. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you ain't gonna eat 'em don't catch 'em. Large or small.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  6. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Thanks!! That helps make my decision easier.. pointless to go fishing on a charter boat now.

Yep! No need to waste them.. better to just buy for it in the restaurant. :thumb
    Tom S likes this.
  7. Beezer

Oddometer:
    time it right & there is plenty of fish bbq happening around here... when you coming?
  8. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah? So when you gonna be cookin' them thar fish? I'll come over. Salmon is good.

Chinook.jpg
    AKDuc and Beezer like this.