things to do in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by rtwdoug, Apr 7, 2009.

1. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I'm starting this years RTW trip in a couple weeks. Me & the bike will fly from Toronto to Glasgow. I have to drop the bike off on the 26th, as I fly out on the 28th. (much easier to travel from canada than the US)
    I flew out of toronto in 06 also.
    Anything to do there for a couple days? Also, are there any campgrounds close to the airport? a real cheap motel would also be good.

I have a couple of options riding from the US, either entering at Windsor or at Sarnia. either route or border crossing better than the other?

Thanks for any advice,
    Doug
  2. stevie t

stevie t some dude, somewhere....

Oddometer:
    Sarnia is less congested of a crossing when compared to Windsor.
    As far as Toronto goes....depends what you like....lots of shit to do here....not sure about camping by the airport, lots of motels not sure of price...and we have snow and cold here right now.....but should be good by the end of month.

You may want to stay/camp somewhere other than by the airport if you are here for few days....assuming you haven't put your bike a crate yet.

Let me know when you get in and we can do a round the city type of thing.
    You can camp out at my place, no extra rooms but tent no problem, I am about an hour away (by car) from the airport.

steve
  3. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Some people are luckly to RTW once.... you lucky son of a gun!

I wouldn't mind sharing a beer when you're in town. Keep us updated on this thread as per exact dates (26th-27th of which month?).

As for Toronto... visit the CN tower, our penultimate landmark. If you're into Hockey, see the Hockey Hall of Fame (just down the road from the CN tower). You can also catch a baseball game for ~$10 at the Rogers center (which is at the base of the CN tower).

There's also a Harley shop down the road from the CN tower/Rogers center - about 1km away (since you're riding a hog!).

... that should cover one days worth of exploring.
  4. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    We've got great pealers. The Gentlemen's clubs import them from all over the world. May be a good way to preview the countries you plan on visiting.

The beer's good to
    drcool
  5. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a camp ground 10 min north of the airport called indian campgrounds. Not sure when they open unfortunately. If you like beer go to the distillery district in toronto also the rock club scene on queen street and the thug and gino club scene on richmond. Lots of good restaurants around. Note the airport is a jaunt from downtown toronto around 45 min ish
  6. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer:
    Leave. That's what any good Canadian would do if they found themselves in Toronto.

:lol3
  7. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    I think someone is a little jealous..... :stfu
  8. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Toronto's a world class city- whatever you want is here. Everything from an evening of culture at the opera or symphony, to transexuals available on Craigslist for a tryst.
    We got museums, galleries, major league sports teams, 16,000 resturants (some of the best ethnic food from any country you can name).
    whatever floats your boat.
    And the Indian Camprground is in Mississauga not too far from the airport.
  9. kruzuki

Oddometer:
    That's not what you said the first time!
  10. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    I motion to have Moving Pictures banned.
  11. kruzuki

Oddometer:
    That's the spirit!!!
  12. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    thanks for the input, I'll look into that campground. I'll arrive on the bike april 25th or early the 26th. I have to drop it off 2 days before the flight to pass customs & get strapped to a pallet. So I'd like somewhere close by to stay. as an alternate, I may just rent a car for 2 days, I did that in LA while waiting on my bike last time, & I was able to get around, plus I had somewhere to sleep! :lol3

I'm not very cultural, dont drink, & gave up on strip clubs long ago. So I'll have to find something bike related to check out, if possible. I've been to the tower last time, it was cool. Hockey isnt really my thing, but that may be fun to check out.
    I went to see a fight one time & a hockey game broke out in the middle of it.
    oh, I couldnt find the transtesticle ad on CL, but I'll keep lookin....:evil

thanks for the camping offer Steve, but I'll need to stay closer to the airport, in case I have to deal with some papers or something

Doug
  13. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Doug,

Call me crazy, but if you could put a whole wack of your RTW pictures together on a memory stick, I could have a computer and projector screen ready to go. Mix in some worldly food and we'd have ourselves an honest to goodness RTW kick-off party!!!

:ear
  14. stevie t

stevie t some dude, somewhere....

Oddometer:
    pig roast?.....in honour of the hog and hogtown...

oh ya, lots of live music in TO
  15. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Whatda'y guys say... Sunday evening, April 26th.

Either an ethnic restaurant or ____someone's backyard?___ or my building downtown (party room)????

Slide show presentation and great food (pot luck style or restaurant).

Show Dougy what Toronto is of. :D
  16. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    that would be great fun!
    I really enjoy meeting people when I travel.
    by 'ethnic food' do you mean authentic canadian cuisine?
    moosejaw burgers & fried scrod? :rofl
    Horizons Unlimited has invited me to do some sort of presentation at their rally, so I need to figure out how to add pics to some sort of powerpoint thingy anyhow (so he tells me) and of course I dont have a clue, so I'll try to figger it all out :)

Doug
  17. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    No need for fancy powerpoint presentation.... just throw all the pics on a disc.

Maybe throw some up here to entice... as I've seen some on the ADV homepage.

To make this as easy as possible. We can all meet at a restaurant near where you'll be staying. Get that figured out first and I'll get the venue sorted out.
  18. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Doug,

We've made a tradition here to meet up every month or so for an ADVriders dinner.... a culinary tour of the world. What better than a "live" RTW ride report to accompany it!?!?!?!

So... get your accommodations sorted out, thereafter I'll get a nearby venue set-up.
    Dinner's on me.
  19. rtwdoug

Oddometer:

I apologize that I am unfamiliar with your canadian customs,
    but I prefer to eat it off a plate if you dont mind. the floor would also be preferable :lol3

I think I'm gonna go with the rental car, as it worked good last time. I'm gonna check into rates today. So I'll be mobile.

Doug
  20. doughy

doughy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah Toronto... a cultural blast!!!!!

I like Toronto, it's just a good majority of the people that frustrate me... Too many people willling to risk my life for a car length.

But there is a ton of stuff to do, lots of places to see, lots of oppurtunities for adventure...

Give me a PM when your here, let me know what you want to see I can take you or point you in the right direction.