Things to see on Route 66?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Turbo Ghost, Jan 16, 2014.

1. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    milkshakes at kingman
    wow
    cheers
  2. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm from Tennessee! My Mother is from Waukegan IL. so, I've spent a lot of time in that area as well and know the Chicago to St. Louis ride pretty well both as a tourist and a trucker.
    As for hotel bookings, we aren't booking anything except the first night in Chicago. After that we want to mostly camp with the occasional motel along the way for showers. If we're lucky enough to have hosts with available showers then that will help even more!
    Again, thank you to everyone for your input in this thread! I look forward to the trip and the telling of it after!!
  3. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:

I can definitely go for a milkshake!!
  4. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    Oh, as I mentioned, I'm familiar with the Chicago to St. Louis section. I hate going up in the arch as it's absolutely anticlimactic! However, it's an experience everyone should do just to say they have so, I'll take my friend up so he can experience the disappointment like everyone else!
    Now, everything past St. Louis is new territory to me! When I drove truck, I covered everything from the Mississippi river East but, never went West so that's the stuff I'm really looking forward to!
  5. FALAKAR

FALAKAR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Grab a couple cans of spray paint and stop by the cadillac ranch in amarillo, tx.
  6. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thumbs up on US 50. It runs through my boyhood home of southern Garrett County MD.
    Crosses US219 at Red House. Rte 50 is twisty fun but can be dangerous. Be careful

For Rte 66,the famous red barn is still standing east of Edmond OK and there are things to see in Shamrock TX.

7. M6NTL

M6NTL n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello All,
    I'm the 'friend from England' - just checking in!!!
    Don't have a bike as yet, but the search is on, Turbo Ghost is doing sterling work trawling through everything local to him with a moderate budget to buy something cool..!!..

My flights over are booked and paid for, and I'm VERY excited about my trip!

Keep the hints and tips coming, this trip is gonna be a bank breaker, and I want to get the best I can out of it...

Cheers!!!

:D
  8. WantToRideMoar

WantToRideMoar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    US-64 running east/west in northern New Mexico. Absolutely beautiful from the Four Corners national park to Raton and the NRA Whittington Center. The whole stretch is wonderful, but in particular it's best from Taos to Cimarron.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:

There are also some great places between Taos and Bloomfield. But then it really sucks until you get past Shiprock. Fortunately there is a bypass that runs several miles south of 64 thru Navajo land.
  10. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:

Welcome aboard M6NTL! Bout damn time you got on here!! :D
  11. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    At the same time, it is also the worst section. The winding section of road between I-40 and Oatman is probably the original inspiration for the term "30 miles of bad road". The only smooth parts are where a few corners have been patched.

Oatman is fun, and the burros wandering the streets are great!!
  12. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
    Don't break the bank - what starts as the "trip of a lifetime", is often just the beginning of an addiction. I'm 8 trips in and looking forward to the next one...:lol3
  13. this is a RV

this is a RV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About 90 miles east of St.Loius you will find the town of Cuba
    MO Hicks BQ, The Wagon Wheel motel, http://cubamochamber.com/.
  14. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    I have ridden most of RT66. Lot's of tourists from Europe ride 66.

Best states for me are Oklahoma, Missouri and Illinois. There are some old segments that can still be ridden [carefully] and there are some some good paper maps you can buy online. The rt66 museum at times beach mo -just outside St Louis is a good place to map up for Missouri. Be sure to stop at the museum in Galena KS - it's in the train station.
  16. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have traveled the length of Route 66 twice, once in Nov 2010 and again in Dec 2012, both times following as much of the original 1929 alignments as possible. While there are sections that require use of the interstates, it is possible to do the vast majority of it still without being on them. The western states are definitely more interesting and there are several sections of abandoned / washed out road that can still be passed upon with enough gumption.

I very highly recommending taking a detour in Peach Springs, AZ to camp along the Colorado River at the end of the only road into the Grand Canyon. Permits to do so can be purchased from the Haulapai Tribe in town.

Here are the routing instructions that were mostly followed.
    http://www.historic66.com/description/
  17. M6NTL

M6NTL n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips!
    Maybe we should do 66 East to West, then back to TN using 50 for a different perspective...
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    things to see?
    the Interstate, gas stations and McDonalds for most all of it. :puke1

honestly, it's not that appealing except for the short Peach Springs & Oatman sections. it still was a highway after all, not a beautiful backcountry byway. Euros & Harley guys think this is some magical great ride, but like others have said it's either interstate or straight boring 2 lane road next to the Interstate.

if this is a trip of a lifetime, don't waste your $ and time on rt 66.
    fly into Denver, rent bikes and explore all the incredible roads of the western mountain states.
    if you ultimately wish to travel across the country, there are much better roads to see.
    understand once you head east of Denver the roads go flat, straight, hot and kinda boring until you hit the Ozarks.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.145289,-106.018066&spn=8.210269,14.128418&t=p&z=6

honestly, is this

[​IMG]

more appealing than this???

[​IMG]
  19. M6NTL

M6NTL n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm coming over from England, Turbo Ghost is an All American TN resident with a lifelong wish to do Route 66.
    I don't have a huge drive for that particular road, but I'm easy.
    I WOULD however like to go to Vail County CO if the itinerary allows it, my Great Great Grandfather emigrated there from Wales, UK - I would dearly love to find records of him. His son was, we were led to believe, Sheriff of Red Cliff CO. they then moved to Fresno CA, and my father came to England with the USAF in 1959 - he stayed here (darn him!!!).
    I am a dual national, with British and American passports. I have been to Fresno a couple of times, and would love to see Vail...
  20. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
    Heading North to Ouray on US 550 from Silverton....? :wink: