Things to see on Route 66?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Turbo Ghost, Jan 16, 2014.

1. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course it's famous for the Mile dirt track AND the corn dog.
    BUT WAIT there's more:government corruption,
    2 of the previous 3 Governors are in federal prison for bribery and extortion.
    It's a nice contrast to the Abe Lincoln stuff you'll find in Spfld.

Also- the Donner party left from Spfld. There's a tiny marker on the square adjacent to the Old State Capitol.

Ted
  2. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
  3. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Elmer's Bottle Tree Ranch, Oro Grande, CA

This is one of the places we saw just cruising by that I made a U-turn for. Lots of interesting antiques and art in his yard and he's a cool old guy to talk to.
  4. XRangerRides

XRangerRides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are passing through Holbrook, AZ (home of the Teepee Motel)
    grab a bite to eat at Joe and Aggie's Cafe (just east of the Teepees).
    Good food and a Rte 66 mural on the wall outside for a photo op.
    [​IMG]
  5. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thanks!
  6. redwing51

redwing51 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    To each his own, but there are really much nicer roads than Rt. 66. As someone else said, Rt. 66 is a nostalgic "idea" more than anything else. If you like the interstate and kitschy tourist trap places, etc. you won't be disapointed.
    But,I think that the "idea" of Rt. 66 can be found on a myriad of many other back roads and towns spread between Chicago and LA. Those are the places that reflect the soul and idea of "Rt. 66 " more than the actual 66 itself.
    Those are my thoughts, but what do I know...
    Anyway, have a great trip and enjoy yourselves.
  7. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    I agree with you. I do have a huge nostalgic soul though! I think we'll have a bit more than just 66 under our belts at ride's end!

8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    oh heck yeah. there are tons of rt66 type roads all over...and they're great.
    the real rt66 is the lamest of all tour roads, an interstate.
  9. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    As I said above, US 50 is one of my favorites. A real "cross section of America."

Route 60 is also a great route, runs through the central states to the Southwest, most of it non-interstate.

US6, the "Grand Army of the Republic Highway) is still, AFAIK, the longest road in the US. Goes from the edge of Cape Cod all the way to Bishop, CA, in the Eastern Sierras (used to go all the way to LA.)

The "Great Basin Highway" (US 93, I think) is also an awesome road if you like long, lonely desert roads.

Incidentally, if you're really interested in the history of the old US routes, there is a great page that aggregates all the information on where the roads go, where they used to go, when they changed, etc.

http://www.us-highways.com/

Also has lots of links to other "road culture" web sites.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i can understand that, but that nostalgia fades fast when you are going straight for hours next to a semi. the rt66 allure is just a fabricated marketing ploy by towns and stops that were left behind (ie no business to support themselves) when the interstate went through. sorry but real small town Americana is no longer there except for fabricated parts. they just want to sell you some of there stuff now. the original rt66 was the main highway in itself and so it never picked the most scenic way to go back then anyway. don't believe the hype.

if you must just do 2 those 2 sections in AZ and find other better roads to explore elsewhere.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    indeed if i were to pick 1 road and stick to it to cross the US (which there is ZERO chance of that), it would be 50.

12. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    do you realize how hot it is in June? It is too hot to have fun on a bike in my opinion. I live about one block off 66 and watched the weary drive thru.
  13. Tourbus

Tourbus Lost but not worried

Oddometer:
    This is the best guide to RT 66 I have found, full of pictures and a complete set of maps.

http://www.milebymile.com/historic-route-66.php

Missouri is likely the most scenic state of the trip, although the Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Grand Canyon, the Metor Crater and Oatman AZ are worth a look as is Palo Duro Canyon.

My cross the nation trip was New York to SanFransico on the Lincoln Highway with return on RT 6 the Grand Army of The Republic Hwy. Very interesting trip with many dirt and gravel sections.

Is this a ride out and fly back? Coast to Coast and back needs about a month.
  14. ihatemybike

Oddometer:
    *gets on soapbox*
    While it does have long and straight sections, it is not an interstate. The key to making Route 66 interesting is to take as much of the original 1929 alignments as possible, this puts the traveler on interstates very minimally. I've done this twice and it's still an enjoyable cruise that I would do again. There are still lots of interesting things to see and people to meet. There are sections of road long abandoned the will take a skilled off pavement rider to complete without dabbing. Yes, there is a certain kitsch to a bit of it, but it's not all bad. I rather enjoy Delgadillo's Snow Cap myself and that place is just packed with kitsch. There are interesting side trips as well. Meteor Crater is worth a look. Motoring into the Grand Canyon, parking and camping next to the Colorado is quite enjoyable, the stars there popped something incredable and the morning dip in the river was vigorous. There are many abandoned themed gas stations and restaurants to poke around. Many cool old vehicles here and there. Route 66 is deeply ingrained into Americana and thus part of its allure, especially to those from over seas. Time and money, I'd gladly tour it again.

Are there better roads? More fun roads? Sure, but none quite as storied as Route 66.
    *gets off soapbox*

Rather rockin' version of Route 66 performed by Chenoa
  15. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    I'm taking 24 days off and the reason for the timing is that is mathematically the one time I can get that many days off with what vacation I have. Also, the weather is most likely to be the most tolerable. Heat is not an issue with me. I despise cold! I tolerate it well considering I've been riding to work a lot lately with the temps in the mid teens F but, I hate it!! I don't mind riding through summer thunderstorms as long as it's warm/hot!
  16. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:

I think you get it! We WILL be taking some other roads along the way but, I WANT to see the kitsch and tourist traps and the ridiculous! The Snow Cap is a definite stopping point! I love dead chicken!! The Grand Canyon is another must! I wish I had more vacation but, I'll make the most out of what I have!
  17. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:

Cool link! Thanks!!
  18. OKstripe

OKstripe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some Rt 66 sections through OK are OK.

No one has mentioned Seaba Station or Pops yet:

http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.6698

http://route66.com/40.0.html

Seaba Station is a swell little motorcycle museum. If you're old enough to have ridden in the 70's you will love many of the machines there.

Pops is --- Pops. World's supply of soda, fuel up your machine, eat a burger, wonder why... You will see plenty of other riders there if a weekend.

Both of these are not far from the previously mentioned Red Barn.

I should have said Round Barn, near Arcadia. Also, don't want to mislead - you can make about half Oklahoma on some decent old school sections of 66 if you play it right, but yeah, the other half at least is interstate buffeting.
  19. ihatemybike

Oddometer:
    La Bajada Hill west of Santa Fe, NM

Part of the 1929 alignment, this section of road is rough. The arrow points to where the later Northern alignment and the Southern alignment meet on their Western ends going downhill from the East. The Southern alignment is rocky and tough! We drove our lifted Jeep through it in December of 2012 and it took quite a bit of spotting and a little bit of paving the trail for us to get up it. Slow, but fun. I walked the Northern alignment after we made it up and believe that most stock 4x4 vehicles or adventure / dual sport bikes could do it.
  20. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did La Bajada hill on a day ride last fall. It has gotten a little worse due to washouts over the past few years.

There are two routes. One is hard and the other is very hard. I would have called them east and west with the eastern one being the harder. But maybe they are north/south of each other.

If you are going up you have to make a left turn off what looks like the obvious road to get to the easier one.

I made it up the easier one on my KLR. Guys on dirt bikes were having a little trouble with the harder one.