Things to see on Route 66?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Turbo Ghost, Jan 16, 2014.

1. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    He can't be reasoned with or dissuaded. He has the 66BUG and he WANTS to be bored. He LIKES the idea of driving in a straight line looking at trucks on I-44 and 40. The real shame of it is that this could be the RIDE OF A LIFETIME WITH A FRIEND to the GREAT WEST and he will be avoiding that! What a waste... even Marty Milner and George Chakiris were bored on RTE 66. They were FORCED to use it too you remember.
  2. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somebody's not reading my posts! :D I said we WILL be taking some other roads. Route 66 is our main focus but, there will be other roads taken along the way. It appears there is a concensus on 50 being a great ride so, it will be part of the trip. Besides, it doesn't matter where you ride as long as you're riding!
  3. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    If that is the case avoid Oklahoma all together. Veer down to the southern tip of Texas and see Big Bend, Marfa, Alpine and stay at the Guage hotel in Marathon. Don't forget the river road from Terlingua to Presidio.
  4. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    The only real concern for me will be time. I have to be back by July 6 at the very latest as I will have to work the next day.
  5. dickosaurus

dickosaurus Geezer Coalition Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    Looks like a cool place to visit but, their website is a disaster! Can't connect to any of the pics.
  7. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    On a side-note, I just picked up a bike for my buddy to ride on the trip! A 2001 Triumph Tiger 955i! It's a sweet ride!
  8. M6NTL

M6NTL n00b

Oddometer:
    And I am REALLY excited about it, and can't wait to see it!!!
    :clap
  9. melitele

melitele Furkot Developer

Oddometer:
    There is very detailed description of Route 66 in 'Road Trip USA' by Jamie Jensen. I created a trip itinerary from the book in the Furkot road trip planner: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/c1sFSH. You may find it useful to base your trip on.
  10. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    Very interesting! I think you probably rode later in the evenings than we will but, it's definitely interesting to see your mileage average for the trip. That definitely gives me hope we can take our time and still make it home easily. I don't want to be rushed until we hit I-40.
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    The 'idea' of 66 is a LOT better than the experience.

It's your ride, but spending all that money and riding 66 a lot of people will tell you it can be disappointing.

I live one mile north of 66 in Claremont, stop by for a cup of tea.
  12. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    It's looking like we might be taking a right turn at Albuquerque which if you're as old as me will just seem like a baaad idea! My friend has some family history he wants to explore North of there in Red Cliff. We'll probably come back on the tail end of 66 until Albuquerque then I-40 home.
  13. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Actually, going North of ALBQ is probably the only GOOD idea on this thread. You should be riding 2 Goldwings though.... They are the bikes you usually see on this route. You will love I-40, especially around Yukon ,OK just outside of OKC:eek1.
  14. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    I live 5 miles west of Yukon where the tornado hit one block off 66. I mostly see wilted and dehydrated folks on Harleys in the summer. If you are from Germany and traveling thru the area a stop at Fort Reno would probably be fun for you. There is a beautiful church built on the grounds by the German POW's during WWII that is worth a visit. We have tons of visitors every year from the family's of many who stayed here. It is a very interesting story and my dad remembers going to the movies as a kid and sitting next to many a POW during the Saturday afternoon feature. Most of the Germans soldiers were so happy to be here instead of the Russian front.

Many in the community have very fond memories and friendships were made during those times. A few are still ass holes about it.

Most years we have a service that is attended by German Armed forces who show up in uniform to honor those who are buried at the old Army fort.
  15. treebrain

treebrain Bobby Lynch

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has this website devoted to just the kind of stuff you can take back home and talk about having seen. Off-beat oddities and the like. There's even an iPhone app. Hope it helps make your trip a great one.

Bobby

http://roadtrip66.com/
  16. treebrain

treebrain Bobby Lynch

Oddometer:
    Almost forgot. My avatar is from Bagdad Cafe, the movie. If you haven't seen it, go ahead and watch it before you start the trip. Bagdad Cafe, the actual place, is an absolute MUST SEE in Newberry Springs, CA. Sign the wall when you get there. There are bound to be many other riders in the parking lot when you arrive.
  17. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    I like the sound of that! I have German heritage on my Mother's side. I like learning about wartime history! Thanks!
  18. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    Neat! Neither of us have Iphones so, the app won't work for us. It's not available on Android. I'll see if I can find Baghdad Cafe to watch.
  19. M6NTL

M6NTL n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's a splendid repository of information!
    I seem to recall, back in the mists of time when we first hatched the plan to do this thing, that I downloaded a big bunch of Sat Nav waypoints that supposedly keep you riding on the old roadways wherever possible - buggered if I can find the damn things now though!!!

Less than a hundred days now!!!

:D
  20. melitele

melitele Furkot Developer

Oddometer:
    There is a map of the official Historic Route 66 route at scenicbyways.info site: http://scenicbyways.info/byway/2489.html with a bunch of links collected by the America's Byways program when it was still funded by the government (scenicbyways.info is an open source copy of now defunct byways.org; byways.org was a government-sponsored scenic byways website). You can make it into a trip plan and export it as GPX file if you are looking for waypoints.