Things to see on Route 66?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Turbo Ghost, Jan 16, 2014.

1. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out Pops a retro looking gas station/diner that has over 600 types of soft drinks. A very cool neon sign welcomes you at night. The round barn is right past it, also a Route 66 Landmark. Close to Edmond, OK.

In Tucumcari,NM there are some nice old Route 66 lodgings, The Blue Swan is a classic Route 66 Motor Court. Check out Santa Fe, NM since you are close. Like being in another country with it's Adobe Architecture, plus great food.

I drove the original Route 66 in 1966 in a new Chevy Convertible. In high school, it is a memory of a lifetime headed from Texas to California. Still hear the clickity clack of the road. Simpler times...
  2. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's the Blue Swallow :D but it is a fun place to stay.
    http://blueswallowmotel.com/
  3. M6NTL

M6NTL n00b

Oddometer:
    Downloaded that App to my iPad - wowsers, there's a LOT in it..!!..

Not sure I'll be able to use my UK iPad in the States, with my UK SIM - might have to buy a one month data SIM for the trip!!!
  4. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Besides the RT 66 Museums you'll find, just north of Elk City is the Washita National Battlefield Park, well worth a little detour to check out. Palo Duro Canyon good detour, and keeps you close to the route. In Shamrock, you can visit the Conoco Tower which inspired part of the movie cars, Likewise, Peach Springs in Arizona on the old RT 66 was the inspiration for Radiator Springs in the movie. Cadillac Ranch just outside Amarillo as been mentioned I am sure.

Roadsideamerica.com can help break up some of the monotony. We just got back today from Taos and avoided I-40 ( about as close to RT66 from OKC west as possible) as much as we could.
  5. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The movie Cars got me all misty because of the nostalgia it evoked in me!
  6. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another thought I just had, in Joplin, Missouri you can find the garage apartment Bonnie and Clyde were living in when the locals tried to bust them. I think two police officers were killed. Worth a Google and a visit. Kind of hard to find going by the directions on roadsideamerica.com but ask some locals in the neighborhood....or PM me, I can send you directions....
  7. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    Interesting! Thank you!
  8. jnor

jnor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out route 66 in June...is there a way to stay on 66 and 40 without backtracking back to 40 still going forward...We need to cover 6000 miles in a little over 2 weeks 66 is just part of the route...
  9. Turbo Ghost

Oddometer:
    I'm a bit confused by the question? I may be missing something but, I'm really lost as to what you're asking? Also, you say 66 is only part of your route. Which part? A little clarification and more detail would help us help you better!
  10. jnor

jnor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree...I couldn't put it in words that made sense... RT66 is not the main focus, but I would like to ride it as much as I can, but not to the point of riding it to a dead end, then turning around and heading back to 40/44 and taking up a lot of time...If we could get on 66, keep moving forward, then back on 40, and go back, and forth, but not turn around to get back to 40..I guess..what is the longest continuous part of 66 ??

Here's the plan:
    Get on 44/66 at St Louis, take 40/66 from OKC to Barstow, then RT58 from Barstow to San Luis Obispo, then PCH to San Francisco to RT80, 80 to Laramie, from Laramie 287/25 to Colorado Springs, up Pikes Peak, then back up 25 to RT70, and back home to Ohio

Need to do it in 14-20 days
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm confused too. But I assume you are talking about places where 66 diverges significantly from 40. All the places I know, which is from the Texas/New Mexico border to about Barstow CA, you can continue forward. Exceptions would be several short sections of frontage road that dead end.

This would even apply to the difficult La Bajada hill section from the 1920s alignment between Santa Fe and Albuquerque.