Thinking about an overnight trip to Pisgah

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by MTBRALPH, Apr 2, 2020.

1. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about an overnight trip to Pisgah National Forest near Brevard, NC. My plan is to ride the 1290 up tomorrow morning and find a place to primitive camp for the night. Thinking maybe near Shining Rock entrance or off one of the fs roads between Brevard and the parkway. I have a new camera and want to spend some quality photography time with it. It is a three hour ride from home to Pisgah.

Has anyone been in that area over the past three days? I wonder how crowded it is. I am off work for the duration and going crazy. Garden is planted, yard cut, new bike ..... need to ride.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Ralph
  2. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro Supporter

Oddometer:
    The promise of two days of sunshine has us all wanting to ride.

I might join you but privative camping is a thing of the past for me. I do have a nice 12ft enclosed hard tent if that would be possible.

Anyone want to ride up this way (Johnson City) for a meet and greet.
    I plan on being out somewhere.

Vic
  3. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't say for anything over on the Brevard side. But last week I was on Stoney Fork Rd east of Asheville and was shocked with the number of campers all along the road. Cars from all different states. Legal and non legal areas.
    400psi likes this.
  4. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Car campers cant get to spots that a bike can at least. :) I was thinking of doing the same thing but can't pull it off this week. Maybe next week as I haven't scheduled any work yet for the second half of the week.
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  5. 400psi

400psi Cropdusting

Oddometer:
    Are Wash Creek and Yellow Gap open? I haven't been out there in a few years
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  6. a.hoglen

a.hoglen Should probably be "A Hooligan"

Oddometer:
    Courthouse falls has a few camping spots.. nice little tucked away spot.
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  7. Dracula

Dracula aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People here are not happy with the number of out of area visitors, Pisgah has been a zoo. Seems like everyone is heading for the parks.

Here's some text from Dracula's link...

To All Of Our Friends Near and Far:

(Updated April 3)

For over 100 years Brevard and Transylvania County have been welcoming visitors like you to “The Land of Waterfalls.” Today, we need your help as we cope with the impacts from the COVID-19 outbreak. At this time, accommodations in Transylvania County are only open to visitors who are traveling to our area for essential purposes. Below are key details and other up-to-date information on current visitation:

• The Transylvania County Board of Commissioners has enacted Resolution #10-2020 to remain in effect until April 30. Outlined, most notably, is the emergency procedure to close all lodging facilities.
      • “All lodging facilities, including campgrounds and direct-reservation facilities (such as Airbnb and VRBO) with rentals or leases for less than 15 days in duration shall be closed EXCEPT for essential work-related accommodations, accommodations for essential personnel, facilities housing persons experiencing homelessness, any facility being used for isolation and quarantine purposes, or family-related visitation. Current residents at campgrounds are permitted to stay, but campgrounds should not allow new patrons to enter and establish themselves. Lodging facilities include: hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, and short-term rental units such as Airbnb and VRBO. Current residents at lodging facilities are permitted to stay, but these facilities should cancel any non-essential travel reservations for the duration of this declaration. Any employees who work for a Transylvania County business or organization deemed essential in the North Carolina Stay At Home order of March 27, 2020 can stay in any lodging.”
    • Governor Roy Cooper issued a Stay At Home Order for 30 days, effective March 30. This order only allows travel for essential purposes.
    • DuPont State Recreational Forest and Gorges State Park are currently closed to the public, as are all recreation sites in Pisgah National Forest.
    • The Brevard and Transylvania County Visitor Center will be closed until further notice, however we can still be reached via the live chat function on our website or via email.
    We hope to be welcoming you back soon. In the meantime, why not take a moment to reflect on previous visits – and plan for your next adventure in the Land of Waterfalls. We’ve got lots of tools to help you craft your plan here on our website and soon we’ll be introducing additional virtual resources to make planning future visits even easier. To stay in touch, sign up for our e-newsletter to receive direct updates from the Explore Brevard team. We also invite you to join us on Facebookand Instagram, where we will be including updates, as well as images of our special spot to inspire thoughts of your next visit.

We look forward to the day when Brevard and Transylvania County can again welcome visitors with open arms. Until that day arrives, we’ll be saving a space for you here among the waterfalls.
  9. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I decided not to go to the mountains this weekend. I had hoped that most were staying home. It really is a time to hunker down and keep to ourselves.

Stay well,
    Ralph
    Robert OK likes this.