Thinking about moving back to Canada - how is the ADV riding in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Boredsurfer, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in SoCal for 15 years and I am currently in Co Springs so I have been spoiled for ADV riding.... how is the riding in the Vancouver area? On par or better?

Any opinions are appreciated cuz the quality of riding is one of the most important factors in a relocation for me....
  2. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there. We are close to a bunch of good rides here either towards Whistler or into the interior. Another advantage of Vancouver is we are friendly!

Dont ask about our house prices here you might think twice...
    Propfrwrd and Boredsurfer like this.
  3. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    What kind of riding? There's some variety, but it'd help to know what you like.
  4. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Epic ADV and Dual Sport - mountains, elevations, forests, high-speed gravel - single track too but not as much as the other stuff.
  5. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have all of the above. This is mountain country seriously great riding in reach of Vancouver. I am surprised not more have chimed in.

(I ride an Africa Twin with knobblies)
    Propfrwrd and Boredsurfer like this.
  6. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming the OP is moving to Van for work and there is some OK ADV/DS riding in BC as a start :)
    Boredsurfer likes this.
  7. goforth

goforth Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What you meant to say is it’s “on par and wetter”
  8. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any opinions are appreciated cuz the quality of riding is one of the most important factors in a relocation for me....[/QUOTE]

You will be all good for ADV day rides for a couple years out of Vancouver then you will need to do overniters for new ground. Dualsport single track on the coast is steep and gnarly a couple hundred kms east and you will find more flowing trails. The forest service roads here are not as maintained as were your coming from heavy rainfall makes for washout and potholes being part of most rides on the coast.
    Boredsurfer likes this.
  9. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    you can be on your own back there, quite often.
    literally thousands of km's of logging roads, with off-shoots, within a day's ride.
    Vancouver island 1.5 hrs away. another 10000 k's of logging roads, etc.
    lotsa free fsr campsites, as well, if so inclined. usually in glorious locations.
    being close to the water - too much heat is not usually an issue. - you may require proper rain gear.
    Boredsurfer likes this.
  10. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BC is the Mecca of riding, on or off road. Biggest downside is the weather. Some of the best does require a couple hrs ride from Vancouver, depends what type of riding moves you.
    filterx, Propfrwrd and Boredsurfer like this.
  11. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    As has been stated, lots of variety. If you head north, Squamish has some great areas - the ride to Indian Arm has most if not all of what you're after, as an example. East has lots of opportunities - I've had lots of fun down in the Chilliwack area, but more recently, I'm keener on the mountains and lakes around Harrison Lake, Lilooet Lake, and Chehalis Lake areas.

Maybe paradoxically, but another area to consider if you've got a few days in WA; riding in the Wenatchee area is fantastic - high and dry, like some of the terrain you may have had back in CA. And it's fairly close. Leavenworth is a great little town to put in for some Bavarian pretzels and a quick drink.

If you end up here, pipe up and there'll be lots of us in the region who can show around.

:beer
    matt.the.ogre and Boredsurfer like this.
  12. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the way you do business Jackie. BC = epic, endless, diversity with trails of every type, and to echo what others have already said - we're a friendly lot that loves sharing the trails.
  13. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What bike or bikes are you going to be on?