Thinking of a snagging a '94 RM 250, thoughts??

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Valvesarefortoilets, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Valvesarefortoilets

Valvesarefortoilets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found a nice street plated RM 250 for sale near me. Been emailing back and forth with the guy and he's interested in trading for my '04 KLR 650. the KLR has 47,700 miles on it and has earned its stripes, but I'm a 2 smoke guy and would rather have the RM. I've never owned a Suzuki let alone an RM, and I'm trying to find out what common problems to look out for when I go to look at it. I have experience with mostly two stroke Yamahas (RD400, RZ350,cs3, yl2, YZ125) and a couple others (Hercules GS175,KDX200) so I have worked/ rebuilt several two strokes before, any suggestions on stuff to look out for or ask about? Thanks
  2. Spikester300

Spikester300 Roll Tide!

Oddometer:
    I had a '97 RM250 and the MX gearbox sucked, top speed about 60 and it was screaming.
  3. Valvesarefortoilets

Oddometer:
    I'm not planning on doing too much road riding with it, just want something i can ride legally in the state forest. If anything I'll do little in town trips.
  4. upnorthhillrod

upnorthhillrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'm no expert but when i was looking for a mid 90's 250 mxer the general consensus seemed to be "run don't walk away from rm's". less sturdy under performers. your klr is worth at least 1500$+, in mint shape the rm is worth maybe a grand.....
  5. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i would agree with UpNorth...

Back when i bought a 2 stroke, i bought a CR250 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Bought a low hour 1997 which was 7 or 8 years old when i bought it for $1500. It was cheap and fun...sold it for what i had in it after 2 years.

Only real drawback was that it was tough to ride in the tight woods. Had to upgrade the suspension to some Race Tech gold valves set up for plush woods riding. Also added a heavier flywheel weight to even out the power delivery.

6. Valvesarefortoilets

Oddometer:
    The big thing about the RM is that it's street plated, which is near impossible here in jersey, that kinda makes up the value gap. I'm not exactly in love with the KLR and its rather neglected in the garage. I really want the bike for the woods, which was not an enjoyable place with the KLR... :puke1
  7. Valvesarefortoilets

Oddometer:
    I will definitely look into improving the tight woods performance once bought, of course anything is an improvement from the big 650 in the woods.
  8. dhallilama

dhallilama Long timer

Oddometer:

how does the "plated" part work in Jersey? i've gone through hoops and did a bit of smoke and mirror work to get bikes plated in CA and Oregon... both states occasionally pull plates. i had a KX that was plated for a few years, guy i sold it to had it for a year and received a letter from the DMV asking for the plate back, along with a new "not for road use" title.

past there, i'd look into the differences between an RM and an RMX... maybe the RM can be easily tamed down/geared good enough for woods work. in any case, i'd think it to be far better than a KLR anywhere other than the highway (not a fan :) )
  9. NDMX743

NDMX743 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They weren't bad bikes. Pretty light feeling, decent power, decent suspension. They didn't win the shootouts but they were competitive.
  10. dhallilama

dhallilama Long timer

Oddometer:
    ... and nimble. at least that's what i remember from riding a friend's, which i think was a '93. RMs always seemed to have that quick/nimble steering along with quick sketchiness at speed. can't really go that fast in the woods, anyway :)
  11. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I was reading about the 96 the other day and I remembered they said this in the article.

The same site had an article on the 93, that I assume wasn't much different to the 94. http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-...-steel/gps-classic-steel-27-1993-suzuki-rm250

I'm still reading through the site, it has some interesting stuff on it. http://www.pulpmx.com/gps-classic-steel
  12. Valvesarefortoilets

Oddometer:
    Back in the 90's they gave out some plates to enduro guys who wants to run in the state forests with their bikes. Don't know how they managed it but they did and bunch got plated till they pulled the plug (quite quickly). Apparently the guy bought it already plated and has had no troubles. I'm assuming since he didn't i wouldn't as he hasn't had the bike that long.
  13. Valvesarefortoilets

Oddometer:
    Thats what i've been reading, I think the bike should be good
  14. Valvesarefortoilets

Oddometer:
    Ya im hoping that the rear shock isnt as bad as they say seeing how its gonna be a woods bike, but im not too worried about speed in the tight stuff. We'll see how I do with the whole no low or top end bit :1drink
  15. Rot Box

Rot Box Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sorta built up a 95 RM250 for woods riding a few years ago. I rode it for a few months and even completed Five Miles of Hell in southern Utah on it and lived to tell about it haha.

The good:

Dyno-Port pipe still offers (or did offer) a cool looking bottom-mid pipe for it :evil

Suspension was really plush. I think with some trail valving/springs it would be outstanding off-road. It was awesome in the whoop sections.

Power was good. Broad power band but a little weak on over rev. That said it was on par with any of the other 250's I've owned.

Applied upper clamps with a Scotts damper was money well spent for desert riding.

The Bad:

The flywheel weighs as much as a feather. No questions asked if you're going to take it on the trail you need a flywheel weight or a truck load of clutch plates.

Razor sharp handling on technical single track which was good. That said Suzuki (any Suzuki--pick one) and I don't get along when it comes to anything over 25mph. I feel like I have to focus way too much on how I'm controlling the bike. Some bikes almost have an autopilot/cruise control if that makes sense.. this one does not. I know everyone is different but I prefer the relaxed neutral--or even 90's euro handling that some of the other makes are known for.

For whatever reason I've replaced more burned out stators on 90's RM250's than I can count. I've yet to find an aftermarket one that's worth a crap and OEM isn't cheap. This bike alone left me stranded twice with a dead stator and I sold it shortly after.

Conclusion: Mine needed the suspension re-valved for the type of riding I was doing. The top end was worn and the cylinder needed to to be coated. I was also looking at buying an OEM stator and having the rear wheel laced to 18" so I could run a trials tire. To invest that much money into a 90's mx bike I wasn't completely in love with just didn't make sense so I sold it. If the price is right go for it. I probably won't ever buy a RM250 again but a lot of that is me not the bike :D

Ugly black plastics were on it when I bought it :puke1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    I raced one for 2 seasons. Light. Love to be jumped and flicked around. They feel like a big 125. The motor is like a big 125 also. Burst motor. All midrange. Suspension is unbalanced. The rear end sits higher then the front. Stink bug affect. Revalving will not fix the issue but you get used to it after a few months.

1994 and 1995 were my best years racing motocross and I raced Suzuki RM's both of those seasons.
  17. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it was an endure rider who had it plated its a good bet that it has susp. mods for woods riding already done and most likely a flywheel weight.By all means buy it.You can always mod it anyway you want.
  18. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I have a Japanese import RMX250S, they never came in officially but I found one a few years back and bought it, they are very similar to the official RMX but have a proper lighting setup with dippable headlight, brakelights and funnily enough a thermostat and catch tank along with a steel tank,
    twinwall pipe and a very heavy steel muffler which I replaced with a RM250 item.
    They runs strong on the road and with a wide range gearbox aren't nearly as bad as a MX bike.
    Maybe a gearbox swap would be something to look at ?, plenty of RMX's still around with blown top-ends.
  19. Valvesarefortoilets

Oddometer:
    Got the bike and I love it. Definitely need to plushen up the rear shock, hits like a mule on the littlest logs and whoops. Other that that its a great bike! I was used to using the clutch a lot from the klr which had high gearing. I love the bike overall
  20. Valvesarefortoilets

Oddometer:
    Thats the next thing to look for, would it match up with no trouble?