1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of moving to AZ

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by karter18, Apr 11, 2020.

1. karter18

karter18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for advice on moving to AZ. Looking at either PHX or Tucson. We need an airport for the next few years so that dictates those two cities. We do a lot of outdoors stuff as my wife is a docent volunteer that leads hikes, monitors wildlife cameras, and works on the native seed farm in So Cal. I do a lot of bicycle riding road, gravel, and mountain. We have five motos including two TW200’s that we like to get out on. Were we live in Orange County we have a great house but the surrounding area IRVINE is getting way to crowded and CA in general is getting on my nerves for several reasons like costs, crowding, traffic, etc.

anyone else make the move out of CA and where. We can consider other areas as long as there is an airport we can fly out of for work. ALBQ? Salt Lake? We have looked around and Tucson seems to bubble to the surface.

thank you.
    Davethestick likes this.
  2. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    You live in Paradise, don't move !!!!!
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Tucson would seem to fit what you are looking for, especially the bicycling portions of what you are wanting. And since it seems like you aren't going to be commuting to work, you can find a place to live with amenities nearby that would limit most traffic issues. Guessing moving from OC you would have a house budget that would allow you a broad choice of house locations in the cheaper tucson market.
    karter18 likes this.
  4. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I moved last year to Lake Havasu. Love it! Only 2 hours 15 min from the Vegas airport (cheaper flights) or 3 hours from Phoenix. Much less bad weather (monsoons) than Phoenix, similar temps. The lake is beautiful.
    Davethestick likes this.
  5. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    You do know how hot it gets in Phoenix-Tucson Az.? 20-30°F warmer than Irvine, year round.
  6. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    My six bits: I grew up in the Bay Area. In 1984 my company moved me to Phoenix and we lived in Scottsdale. 1987 they moved me to Monterey. 1990 we moved to Boston, but we knew we'd eventually be back in Scottsdale after retirement. And we are now after 25 years, so that aught to tell you where I vote you go. And Sky Harbor airport is magnificent for not only easy access but, getting you non-stop almost anywhere.

The general Phoenix area is a big city, but we have outskirt suburbs that might fit your bill. Cave Creek/Carefree and North Scottsdale are the very north end of the valley. Also over 1000' higher than the floor of the valley so it's cooler by 5-7 degrees. The advantage north is you are fairly rural, yet 40 minutes from the airport. We have lots of off-road riding/boating and the mountains begin right there for road riding. In the east valley, we have Rio Verde/Fountain Hills, which is also pretty rural but more of a golf resort community with tougher access to the city.

Southeast is one of my favorite up and coming towns called Gilbert. I recommend looking at it. My spouse and I like to ride bicycles from Tempe to Gilbert for lunch. It's an affordable town right now, but probably not for long. West valley we have the rising communities of Surprise, Avondale and Buckeye. These are growing young communities that are also semi rural. When I say rural, I mean they have lots of new developments but also open land and extensive farms.

For me the main attraction of Arizona is its unbelievable variety in terrain all over the state. Everything from the Sonoran Desert to grasslands and high mountain timber. All within a couple hours ride. There is almost all forms of outdoor recreation in every direction. Plus we have the benefit of big city cultural events and entertainment.

My wife and I live in North Scottsdale on the Carefree line. It is expensive, but we are both seniors. We are surrounded by wild desert. We ride both e bikes and road bikes. I have 4 motorcycles of which two are dual sports. We attend a variety of annual cultural events that is part of living in the valley. These include classic car shows, Arabian horse shows, theater and pro sports.

Tucson is a totally different vibe. It has advantages, though. Its main disadvantage is it is 3 hours drive from Sky Harbor airport.

The main disadvantage anywhere in the desert is our summer heat. Its at least 3-4 months long. We have had a cabin at Lake Tahoe for decades so that is where we go. My wife goes from mid June to mid October. I go there July and August. I hope that helps. Its a high quality of life here. Easy living we like to say.
  7. sonoran

sonoran bigly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like OC the Phoenix metro area is overcrowded. Tucson is a very livable small city with a lot to offer for the outdoor types.
    Chillis and karter18 like this.
  8. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t live there, but the times I’ve visited I really like Tucson and the surrounding open areas. Desert, mountains and such. If it weren’t so blasted hot I would consider a move there.
  9. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    My son is selling his TownHouse in Peoria Az ----PM me for particulars----Now is the time buy before it gets crazy like it was here in 2005
  10. karter18

Oddometer:
    yes, I have done the research. For any of you looking at climates in different areas this is a great resource
    https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/
  11. karter18

Oddometer:
    paradise definition can have many meanings. I am tired of living with 40 million others in a crowded metro area that building is out of control with apartments, etc. having IRVINE next door to where we live is not paradise in my opinion as the Irvine company has ruined that city and the corruption regarding the former El Toro base is BS as they were supposed to build 3,000 houses and it is over 9,500 now. Orange County is turning into LA south which is not paradise IMHO
    el Pete and AZ TOM like this.
  12. ned37

ned37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmmi wonder if the folks in oregon have any leftover signs?
    Gillus and Old Dudes Matter like this.
  13. karter18

Oddometer:
    I understand but work took us to CA from New Hampshire and back again, company laid 300+ people off in November so this is why we are looking for a change to a better area with lower costs. I am originally from Colorado so hopefully that softens the CA stigma a little.....maybe:D
  14. karter18

Oddometer:
    Looking for a house as we need a three car garage. I will PM you for details though to check it out as it would be nice to have a lock and go house. Although if a builder ever built townhouses with three car garages they would sell well I imagine.
  15. karter18

Oddometer:
    Pantah - Thank you for the well thorough response:clap
  16. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just moved in January from 30 years in So Cal... No Regrets
  17. CapeMan

CapeMan Dirt Duffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have any statistics on it but I'd guess that a fair % of us Aridzonans weren't born here. My next door neighbor moved here from the Bay area about 1 1/2 yrs ago and he's already sportin' a "Don't Californicate Arizona" bumper sticker!
    Sledred, Foiler, socalnative and 2 others like this.
  18. mr. thumbs

mr. thumbs Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent 4 years in Phoenix, it's the 5th largest city in the country. Lots of people and everything that goes with that.

May, June, July and August are miserably hot. The rest of the year is awesome but dry.

Homes are less expensive but I'd check their property tax situation and if they have any protections like prop 13.

I'll spend my last days in Orange County or Central CA on the coast. Just can't beat the weather.
    KICKNBACK likes this.
  19. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    Stay in Cali, it's terrible here :jack
  20. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Wow that has really changed, last time I was in AZ , the ride to the airport from Tucson was almost half that, on I-10. But I haven't been there in a while. :)