Thinking outside the box...Post your Farkels!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 27, 2007.

1. mrgizmow

mrgizmow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At 66 I recently became aware that my small adventure bike was to heavy for me to pick-up. Not sure how many seasons of mountain exploring I have left, but since falling is a given I needed a new plan. Tried all the suggested 'pick-up' methods. None offered much hope. Went through my gear and set aside a bit more of the 'fluff' like my 2 meter radio, as I have a Spot. Side bags went, and change my top case to something easy to remove. Here's the bike:
    [​IMG]
    Here it is on the ground:
    [​IMG]
    Here is my solution:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow . . . . .. . . very intriguiging idea, man . . . . .. thanks!

can you describe how/where you stow the rods?
  3. AK Oldman

AK Oldman WANDRN

Oddometer:

Im not near as old as you, being only 65, but the weight of the bike has been a concern for me lately. I love what you have done. Your idea will be stolen!:clap
  4. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Nice:clap

OK, here's the Dirt Nap-Jack that I made, I've posted elsewhere, no vid though

3 pole sections in and old sock, carried in my backpack/hydro-pack.
    Ratchet in a pouch, carried in my tool bag
    [​IMG]
    Ratchet
    [​IMG]
    Assembled, in use
    That magic ring is a piece of PVC pipe and keeps the pole from bowing, I start with it about 1/2 way up, and it moves up with the strap when the end gets to it.
    [​IMG]
    The ratchet is slipped over the top of the pole, and the strap tightened by pulling the handle down, a wrench can be added to lengthen the handle/lever arm.
    [​IMG]
    Any element can be "upgraded" (bigger ratchet, thicker walled/larger/steel tubing) for heavier bikes.
    90% of my dirt naps are onto the left/kickstand side, so I turn the bars all the way right and hook the strap to the left bar end/hand guard.
    I strap the frt brake lever so the bike cannot roll away and only need to get my bike up to about 45 degrees, so I can then "get under it" to lift it the rest of the way.

I have other pole designs, but found this, thin walled steel to work the best.
    :lol3
  5. mrgizmow

Oddometer:
    The rods are attached to a bracket that I no longer use for my rear rack. One rod is 30"X1/2" stainless. The other is 18"x1/2" grade 5 titanium. Was going to use the Titanium for the longer rod. Though VERY strong, it yield a bit more than the stainless. This made the lifting feel awkward. Gerry
    [​IMG]
  6. mrgizmow

Oddometer:
    Kenstone, your jack looks nice, but I am a bit confused. As you have it set-up, it looks like something you use when working on the bike. You reference carrying your set-up so likely it was made for trailside lifting, but I am not sure how. Can you give me a few more hints. Thanks. Gerry
  7. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I'm not a one size fits all guy, this type unit is made/sold but is much heavier and expensive ($300+).
    Yes, it's attached to my lift in this pic, just visualize it being attached to a bike in full dirt nap, as I have described above.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a vid of a similar unit that are sold for lifting a fallen bike:

I don't plan on laying my bike down for a photo op anytime soon, so use your imagination:rofl
    Boxa, shadowchrome and Squily like this.
  8. mrgizmow

Oddometer:
    WOW!! That works really well. That fellow had a great idea. Thanks for sharing that with me. Gerry
  9. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir! . . . .you've given me something to ponder (just what I needed) ;-}
  10. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a tall Ventura rack so here's what I've decided to do when not using it, which is 99% of the time:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cost me $14.95 and I've also bought the next size up ($24.50 from memory) for carrying larger stuff but it looks a bit unwieldy on its own. I've since changed the bolts to lower profile ones and painted the cross brace black, and taken off the sticker. No modification required to the Ventura sub frame.
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Never heard of the bike lift.. think I may make one.

Thanks for sharing
  12. 1P8RIOT

1P8RIOT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only thing I would add to that bike lift is a plate so it doesn't sink into the ground.:beer
  13. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been looking to do this as well, although I hadn't thought of the ring - great idea!
    However, I'm having trouble finding nesting pole lengths. Where did you source your pole?

14. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    They are for/from a tent about 3/4" OD swaged down on one end to slip fit/telescope.
    Some outdoor stores sell replacement poles, or could be bought online...got mine dumpster diving, complete tent and poles in a canvas bag :D
    I have telescoping aluminum tubes as well, cut from the end of crutches I bought at the Goodwill store:rofl
  15. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Universal side stand foot. Two repurposed old license plates. Holster is from the second plate and a little strip of aluminum bar stock. Cable tie attachment to frame. Cost essentially nothing, works great. Slightly more classy than a crushed beer can. And in a pinch the license plates are emergency splints etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mrgizmow likes this.
  16. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Found what I think will be a good pole at Cabela's. It's their 8' adjustable pole. Three sections are about 26.5" and connected with typical spring cables. Then the fourth section is larger diameter to fit over one end, with a tension adjuster. I compared with other sizes in the store, and this length has the shortest individual lengths (although they can also be cut down, of course).
    [​IMG]
    I used two pieces cut from the larger diameter tubing to make a foot and an attachment sleeve on the ratchet (I cut from the last section prior to taking the pic above).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Set up with a ring as per Kenstone's version, although I used a climbing rappel ring instead of PVC:
    [​IMG]
    All seemed good.
    I don't like to take stuff into the field without first knowing it works. So, after thinking about it overnight, I laid down my bike in the yard and gave it a go.
    Unfortunately, I got the balance of strength vs light and compact a bit off on the wimpy side:
    [​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure it will work out when I get a beefier ratchet strap. I'll probably shorten the pole as well, currently over 6', and it was bending a bit.
  17. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Oil Filter protector.
    [​IMG]
    Yes, it is a Campbell's soup can. I just cut a slit down one side, and it slipped over nice and snug. :deal
    No, I have never owned a KLR. :lol3
    calmconviction likes this.
  18. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Nice find on the pole, you'll get there.
  19. Siorc

Oddometer:
    New ratchet. 1,000 pound version, previous was 500 lb. However, I'm using the 500 lb strap. This maximizes length of pull before it fills up the ratchet. With the lighter strap that is about 1 foot, which is enough to lift the bike sufficiently to get some weight on the tires and be able to get under it easily and push it the rest of the way up. I also found I only need two lengths of the pole I got. Works now!
    [​IMG]
  20. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Good to see you have it sorted out.
    Yea, same deal for me, just up high enough to get "under" it, and lift it up the rest of the way.
    No need for a pole as long as the one in the video.
    Remember, I put an inner tube rubber band around the front brake lever and handlebar so the bike won't roll around while I'm lifting it.
    Putting the bike in gear does the same thing...except I have a Rekluse :baldy
    Edit: you might consider 3 shorter poles versus 2 longish pole because it'll be easier to find a place on the bike to store shorter stuff, my poles fit in my Camelback Mule...just sayin'