Thinking outside the box...Post your Farkels!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 27, 2007.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It ain't much, no pictures, but my bikes have no tool boxes, and I don't plan to put any on them, so I need to carry the registration and insurance cards.

I put the card and registration in a baggie, flattened them out - no air - sealed them and put them between the padding and cover of my cross bar pad. It's still there, so it must work.
  2. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put one of these on after hearing too much tire screeching behind me - my bike has a lot of engine braking: http://vololights.com
  3. outdoorgb

outdoorgb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my "$0.12" mod...coffee mug holder for commuting...
    ABS and a hose clamp. Hey, it's a KLR, it better cost less than a buck...

[​IMG]
    RussellM and Clampett like this.
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I have something (perhaps) similar from another company that works using a mercury tilt switch ...
    While it works fine on level ground, it stays on constantly on downhill sections, and is much less sensitive on up-hill sections.

Do you by chance know how the volo unit detects deceleration?
  5. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has an accelerometer that you calibrate with a magnet on level ground. It doesn't have the problem you described. I'm sure the website has a more definitive description.

http://vololights.com
  6. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  7. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 sections ended up fitting well on my bike.
    For the brake I use a velcro strap -- rubber band would be challenging with hand guards on there. Zip ties or a bit of string would work fine too.
    [​IMG]
    kenstone likes this.
  8. Siorc

Oddometer:
    I made a platform to more easily carry cargo on the rear seat. This was made from a spare/defective lid to the Happy Trails top box (replaced because it didn't fit quite right). I put holes in the corners for drainage and bungee attachments. A flat plate of aluminum could also work, or maybe with some angle stock riveted on for edges.
    It attaches to the seat with straps to brackets I cut from aluminum angle bar stock. Appropriate footman loops would also do it, but my local hardware store didn't have them. Strap stays out of the sun so should not degrade. Attaches/detaches in seconds.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    calmconviction likes this.
  9. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been meaning to do this for a while - it's so bloody annoying when stopped for gas and you want a quick coffee and the cup keeps sliding off whatever you put it on. And this is a sublimely simple solution, I have no excuses anymore!
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Gonna steal that idea...
  11. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Thanks - that's the best compliment possible!
  12. FMFDOC

FMFDOC IBA #63181 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bump bump bu bump bump

bump bump.

(shave and a haircut... two bits)
  13. secret

secret Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever considered that the "thinking outside of the box" philosophy has been around so long and used so widely that it now IS the box?
  14. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    At least one.....
  15. Jnich77

Jnich77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn good work!
  16. Playsatan

Playsatan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following on from my last contribution I feel I should say I do have a job and drop some serious money on paid for farkles, I just get annoyed with paying top dollar for products that don't deserve it. That said, here we go again with my next experiment.

Having completed a fantastic tour of northern Scotland on lots of single carriageway roads with a friend I've decided I'd like to keep my bike as slim as possible. Meeting a car, camper, truck coming the other direction on a single road made me glad I didn't have huge metal panniers and I could slip passed where others couldn't. A small peli type case and a dry bag gave me everything I needed for 3 days.

[​IMG]

But what If I want to go further? I've decided I'd like to add some smaller dry bags to the side of the bike to give me some more storage while maintaining the slim profile and carrying the weight lower down. With that I mind I started looking for suitable rails/racks to keep them in place. A day or two searching has shown that there are some incredible solutions available for equally incredible prices. For a guy with a mop handle satnav mount it was never going to work was it?

With a 5 out of 10 hangover I wondered into the garage to look for some material I could work with....what do we have here?

[​IMG]

A couple of spare wall hangers

Cut them to length, used my vice to flatten the ends and then back out with the trusty drill and fit some longer bolts.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Easy side out of the way and hangover was down to a manageable 2/3 it was time to do the more complicated one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clearance is tight but that's what I wanted

[​IMG]

Cost - £2 each I think. I still have to take the rough edges off, paint them and tweak the spacers but I think I'm ready to call them good.
    dgeezer and Squily like this.
  17. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    Just got back from a 3,000 mile trip, and found this to be very helpful. Worked great in conjunction with a mesh bag and bungee net.
  18. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed a Happy Trails mounting plate for a top box. Worked out great to install my doG carrier as well. Added the tie down straps for upper stability. Solid as a rock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camping with the doG last weekend is awesome.
    [​IMG]
    Wierguy and kenstone like this.
  19. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Very cool. I've often thought about mounting a carrier for my dog as well. How well did that actually work? Any suggestions/changes you'd do differently next time?
  20. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have someone fabricate a metal box, pad the interior and bottom. Otherwise no.