Thinking outside the box...Post your Farkels!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 27, 2007.

1. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:

They wouldn't take the time to do something like that.Their bikes are simple with pretty paint jobs.
  2. lord_oblivion

lord_oblivion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found the platform to be very helpful on a two week trip last Fall. However, it was a bit inconvenient to have to puzzle everything together. So I've now added a modified basket. I suppose I'm just getting back to my milk crate roots, but this looks and fits better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was made from a hacked lightweight Sterilite crate. I don't think the crate would hold up without the aluminum platform under it.
    [​IMG]
    thirsty 1 and calmconviction like this.
  4. CDA441

CDA441 Belgian

Oddometer:
    I've just built a small cellphone mount (only mountable in landscape) for my bike.
    Made with a fake gopro mount and a "selfie stick" cellphone holder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a tether should the mount come loose, but it's holding well at the moment.
    I've also mod it a bit using some plastic edging to keep the phone from vibrating out of the mount.
    I'm still looking for a diy sunshade solution.

Total costs: Free, but if you want to make it, you can find everything on AliExpress or Ebay.
  5. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:

Sunshade matieral . . .cheap plastic three ring binders from Staples and Office Despot. Choice of colors, cost around 99 cents. Cut, bend, apply velcro, boom!
    RolyKBiker likes this.
  6. CDA441

CDA441 Belgian

Oddometer:
    That's a neat idea! I'll try it right away :)

Hmm, looks like it won't work because it's too flimsy, I have to take a look at some harder materials.

Update: I have found a way to make this possible by using double sided tape to mount it to the 2 pegs of the cellphone mount.

Here's the sunshade, but it's still very flimsy:

[​IMG]
    bomber60015 likes this.
  7. CDA441

CDA441 Belgian

Oddometer:
    Forgot to post this one too :)

Built a Peli tankbag to keep my stuff dry and theftproof.

[​IMG]

Houses some small frequently used equipment (not pictured: Allen wrench, screwdriver with bits, cardsharp, handkerchiefs and powerbank)
    Pictured: charger, batteries, penlight.

[​IMG]

I'm still planning on powering this box to recharge my action cam batteries by using some 12v DC barrel plugs (just like the Givi S111 powerhub), so it's not that bulky.
    I used a cheap (20€) peli ripoff case (is as big as the 1150) and mounted it on a plate which is mounted to a SW-Motech Quicklock.
    To keep everything dry (no moisture) I've put in 8 silica gel packets.

The downside is ofcourse that in a frontal collision my ribs will turn into mush if I'm not wearing any protection, so I'm wearing a roostguard with extra padding under my jacket.
  8. maxjett

maxjett Ride with Rocko Supporter

Oddometer:
    For easy power distribution I take three SAE ( battery tender) pigtail connectors and solder them together. I can plug it into my existing battery tender lead and I have two additional connections for Detectors Gps etc on the cheap. Be aware to wire the polarities correctly and double check with a meter before using!
    Mark the input lead so you will know it plugs into the existing battery tender lead, the other pigtails will have the female side as the + positive 12 volts. complicate by adding additional fusing. Again check your polarities before using, better safe than sorry. Let me know if you need a picture as I plan to make another one up soon.
  9. CDA441

CDA441 Belgian

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was thinking about those to, but they seem too bulky for my uses, it just has to power a 12vdc to 5vdc regulator to charge usb stuff.
    It seems the barrel plugs will be reliable enough because I don't plan on charging while it's pouring, ofcourse the SAE connectors are a better solution, but I'm also trying some new ways to power things the cheap way :)
    Here's a link where I bought the barrel plugs: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-1m...Panel-Mount-Jack-Plug-FOR-DC/32666821436.html

They are the "screw in" type, just drill a hole, some caulking and it keeps the box waterproof.
  10. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    I zip-tied a cigarette lighter style plug up under the fairing of my V-strom (prior bike). Those bikes have quite a bit of space under the fairing. Never had a problem with it in the rain, although I did tilt it down a bit to make sure there was no way water could sit in it.
  11. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im cheap, so got a friend to weld this up for me:

[​IMG]
  12. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Needed extra space to mount goodies like roll chart holder, GPS, RAM mount ball, no room on the bars.

Stripped an old set of handlebars of the separate crossbar to use the clamps. Took a piece of 3/4 hard copper pipe and sweated a 45 degree fitting on each end, then hammered the ends flat. Inserted them into the clamp place on my bars, added a few small washers to tighten the fit.

Space for all my accessories with room to spare.

[​IMG]
  13. fhfr436

fhfr436 Thirsting for ADV

Oddometer:
    Is this farkel shown in this photo? Presumably it's on the black bike.
    I'm interested in seeing a closer photo.
  14. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, kind of hard to see. Until I get a better pic, just imagine replacing the the 3/8ths separate crossbar from some handlebars with 3/4 pipe, using the nice clamps to secure it
    fhfr436 likes this.
  15. fhfr436

fhfr436 Thirsting for ADV

Oddometer:
    Aah, now I understand what you did.
    Mr.SAR likes this.
  16. drakehouse

drakehouse Burnin' & Turnin'

Oddometer:
    Pruned up from swiming in the sea of life
    Bump

1/4 of year has passed and no one is showing their new creative additions
  17. yellow zebra

yellow zebra Flying Brick

Oddometer:
    OK, I will bite; I hate driving with a Camel-Bak type hydration system on my back, so THIS is how I carry my water around, and for bigger trips, I put TWO of these in the tank bag - easy!

half- SW Motech Enduro Light.jpg fire bucket....jpg 2015-12-22 07.38.26.jpg 2015-12-22 07.38.37.jpg Camel-Bak, half Army drinking bottle WITH added cooking pot. The beauty of the stainless steel cooking pot is when you REMOVE the water bottle on a trip to refill it, the cooking pot KEEPS THE SPACE open, until you reinsert the bottle - simple, but effective!

Chris & Team
    Te Hopo, Squily, RolyKBiker and 3 others like this.
  18. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mini Pelican box zip tied to the GPS bar. Holds a power cable for my phone, ear plugs and will also fit sunglasses (or reading glasses!) when needed.

image.jpeg
    bomber60015 likes this.
  19. Chrometip78

Chrometip78 Hungarian Barbarian

Oddometer:
    EMT support braces for my hemisphere bags.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    yellow zebra likes this.
  20. KI6HNB

KI6HNB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far on the current scoot (CB500X) all I have is a Rally Raid rear master cylinder guard, R&G radiator guard and a Batman action figure to scare off the pothole gnomes.

IMG_2141.JPG
    Eatmore Mudd and STUFF2C like this.