Thinking outside the box...Post your Farkels!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Foldable windshield. Costs $3.00 to make. Political sign painted cut then add industrial Velcro. Cut and add your kids drawings on inside and stickers on outside. Tested to 79 mph on wr250r. Folds between wolf man rack and side panel when not in use. Just one bungee holds it when not in use. Use when cold out or when needed. Look over it and doesn't effect trail riding. Cut shorter if you aren't tall patent pending. Use idea send.05 to dirt patch. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. 2wheeledADVenturers

2wheeledADVenturers So many ADVentures, so little time!

Oddometer:
    LED lighting... I am no longer scared of the night! IMG_20160822_152224.jpg
    FlatDarkGS and bomber60015 like this.
  3. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:
    As an ex-M2 pilot, I ask, respectfully, will the Sportie Stator support all that candlepower?
  4. 2wheeledADVenturers

Oddometer:
    My son's Uly LED lighting. He replaced the factory headlight with a 12" Auxbeam X series light. IMG_20160822_153603.jpg
  5. 2wheeledADVenturers

Oddometer:
    Sure will, main headlights are 18 watts per and driving lights are 18 watts per. If I need the 12" light it's 72 watts but I hardly ever use it. 144 watts total but I'm mainly using 36 or 72 as needed. Plenty left, the Uly system uses 280 Watts not including the headlight and I have 450 total. If I turn on everything I'm into the battery by 2 watts. Like I said I only use the 12" briefly... Or the way I have it switched I can run the 12" light only at 72 watts incase I use my heated vest and grips. It's plenty bright!:lol3
  6. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:

Looks like if you powered em all on at once, you'd loose speed due to all the photons pushing out of the front of the bike . . . .equal and opposite reactions and all ;-}
  7. 2wheeledADVenturers

Oddometer:
  8. 2wheeledADVenturers

Oddometer:
    Palmer Products adjustable windscreen bracket, windscreen, stabilizers, and accessory bar mount. IMG_20160803_112909.jpg In the process of hiding and routing wires for power. IMG_20160803_112856.jpg Is this picture blurry or is it just my bad eyes... Nah, cheap camera...
  9. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    What did you use into the OEM assembly?
  10. shadowchrome

shadowchrome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to a 2 into 1 exhaust system on my 990....
    [​IMG]
    so I made use of the space left from the other silencer!
    [​IMG]
    4" abs, reused the oem silencer clamps and some garage door weatherstrip!
    [​IMG]
  11. 2wheeledADVenturers

Oddometer:
    I used a pair of 4" LED 18 watt, I think for a tractor utility light. Take the housing apart, it has tabs but unsnaps and it's glued in a couple of places, and remove the stock lights. Install the LEDs, they are the same diameter but they are only and inch or so thick and use some hard foam (I had some of the black closed cell foam lying around) to cut and fill in. Wire both lights to the low beam circuit then snap it back together and add some glue. I used a couple of large zip ties in the center to hold it all together just in case. Also do the headlight switch mod also, critical so your low beams won't shut off when you hit the high beams.
    Specter72 likes this.
  12. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:

I've been kicking around this idea for a while (i.e. install some LEDs into the original assembly) but I wasn't sure if a 4" beam would fit right. I have an old assembly with the infamous discolored reflectors lying around so I'm gonna try this mod one day or another. I know the "put the assembly into your oven to unglue it" trick.

Did you keep the LED beam housing? I mean, did you have to disassemble the LED's beam or the whole thing fit into the assembly? I've always been a little bit concerned about heat dissipation though...what's your take on this?

Can I ask why you only use these on the low beam? I guess that you use the bar as high beam?

What about buying one flood and one spot beams and still use the OEM hi/low configuration? Enough light compared to the OEM?

[​IMG]

As for the "low always on" mod, it was done on my bike on the first week of ownership back in 2010.

Thanks!
  13. 2wheeledADVenturers

Oddometer:
    The LED housing had a lower mount I ground off to make the housing perfectly round. I tried just one on low beam and didn't like the output. When I went to both lights I felt more comfortable, both are floods. I'm getting older and losing that night vision capability... My driving lights/high beams are spots and that combo gives me great vision at 75 at night. For off road at night I turn on everything.
  14. Reklaw59

Reklaw59 Faster than your Nan.

Oddometer:

KLR thread is down the hall. :lol3
  15. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Foldable windshield tested on IBCDR. This picture taken at magruder sign. I out KLRed the KLR that is traveling with me with the windshield. Trail and highway tested. Works great when you need it. image.jpeg
    thirsty 1, Mat and Daz the Aussie like this.
  16. Daz the Aussie

Daz the Aussie Mistrusts Squirrels

Oddometer:

You KLR boys really are cheap bastards! :lol3 You sure you're not Scottish?
    Fosters likes this.
  17. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    DIY boot stops/leg pegs/steg pegs
    If your foot takes a hit they just fold back...
    3GenL2.JPG
    3GenR.JPG
    best use of stock death wing tires :clap
    The brackets are made from electrical box covers, my go to bracket material.
    Sorry not on a KLR...but easily adaptable
    :lol3
    lord_oblivion likes this.
  18. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Price is right!
    If it works, all is well with me.

_MG_5450.jpg _MG_5765.jpg
    Seferus likes this.
  19. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. WVa Dualsport

WVa Dualsport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not an "everyday" farkle, but when you need it, it's pretty damn handy. I run a shortened bar cover while on the bike, but it's not in the pics. Saw and mount weigh less than 13 lbs full of gas and oil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]