Thinking Super Tenere Or Strom 1000

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ronandkat, Jun 5, 2020.

1. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of cutting back to one do it all bike, something for a little gravel off-road, but something that will be mostly touring oriented.
    So I may ditch my FJR 1300 and DR 650, in favor of one bike. I initially was REALLY wanting the AT, but ti seems those had problematic fuelling and rusting from what I am reading.. The Strom 1000 was my Second CHoice and still may be, but issues with the clutch "chudder" has me concerned ai may need to buy a new clutch basket or modify the original one right off the bat. I cannot find if it has ever been updated in later models 2016 on up..But I know the 2014 still had it.
    So that leaves me looking at the ST. Probably looking at a good 75% highway and off road being wide trails and some gravel to camping spots. Seems both the Strom and ST fit the bill for this purpose.. Im leaning towards the ST as of right now, but the Strom is significantly lighter by the numbers. Thoughts?
  2. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The S10. Great touring machine that can do off road, and carry everything including the kitchen sink. Reliable, and smooth for what it is. Second gen has cruise control, and if you want, the ES. As far as weight, yes, she is a big pig, but bikes her size are all heavy. What is great about the S10 is, once you get rolling, all the weight "disappears", and she acts like a smaller bike. Also, shaft vs. chain.

The first gen had/has issues with the CCT, and clutch basket. Both easily rectified with replacing them with the gen 2 (2014-) CCT and clutch basket. Replacing the clutch basket was a personal thing due to vibs, not all people were affected by it, and it is in no way a reliability issue. Second gen had all that fixed.
  3. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Gen1 DL1k and currently have a Gen2 S10. I've never ridden the Gen2 Strom, but it would have been my next bike the day it was released if it had shaft drive.

They're both great bikes - there's no bad choice.

Having said that, IMO the Yamaha is a bit higher spec, better built, more robust. Mine has been dropped, flipped, drug around, and run high miles in all weather for about 50k miles. It's never stranded me, and I've never even needed to replace a turn signal or mirror. It has long service intervals, cruise control standard (Gen2), and shaft drive. There are some major values in the used market because it is a bit unloved by the masses.

The Strom I had had fueling problems, clutch chudder, fork clunk - if anyone ever had a problem with a Strom, my bike had it. It had electronic nothing, chain drive, and the turn signals would shatter if you even leaned it over. It was a Gen1 so maybe they've worked some of those bugs out.

Despite that hurumphing of the VStrom, I'd buy another one. The engine was nice, it was cheap.

I'd say it's down to how much you want shaft drive and cruise control.
  4. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    The S10 all day long... Find one that's been flashed.
    Rogue_Ryder and WRC51 like this.
  5. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good points, I like the shaft drive of the FJR as its virtually Maintenance free.. I like the chain drive of the DR because I can tweak the gearing. I have ridden and raced dirt for over 40 years now, Im not really worried about chains but like the idea of simply getting out of my tent after 3 days on the road and not needing to lube or adjust it, so I see that as a plus for the ST that offsets the weight a bit. I think im definitley interested in a GEN 2.. It seems they got the ECU mapped alil better and cruise control would be a plus. SO are there any "glaring" weak points on the ST? As I am reseeraching it it seems they are pretty few.
  6. Jabba

Oddometer:
    Weight- but the way it handles a long highway along makes that weight acceptable. It's the best touring ADV I've ever had.
    Stock suspension kinda blows- as soon as you upgrade you realize just how much it holds that chassis back. Brakes are on the soft side- but acceptable. I'd trade the ABS for a steel braided line Brembo system if I could- though Yamaha's version of linked brakes on this bike is actually pretty nice. Just grab a handful and you get pretty balanced, controllable braking from both ends.

That's about it- my analogy is that the S10 is a 2 wheeled Toyota 4Runned. Once flashed and piped- it's a sportier version of a 4Runner.
    2WheelNeal likes this.
  7. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, the only things I can think of that have EVER been complained about are fork seals and wheel spokes. Put socks on your forks, zip tie your spokes together.

Cam chain tensioner has had a few problems - many choose to swap out to a manual adjuster. I think Yamaha revised it at some point, the newer version is more reliable.
  8. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Gen 2 DL1000 doesn't have chudder @30,000k's. It's also a better road bike than the S10, well for me. Mainly because it's lighter and more agile. I also suspect the DL is more durable than the S10, it doesn't have a shaft admitted but it's generally a proven very robust design and the current ones don't seem to have any intrinsic issues.

Try both, decide then.
    Brokenhorse likes this.
  9. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    If you have 40 yrs of off road riding experience I would suggest the ST. It feels more like a big enduro, and it handles dirt roads really well. Of course that is really dependent on your skill level,
    but it can handle logging roads, and some semi technical terrain. I have heard people say it is top heavy, but that is not my experience. It is a very well balanced bike, yes it is heavy but
    I would not say that it is top heavy. My biggest complaint on my bike is the notchy throttle, when riding off road. Mine is not flashed but a de-cat, reflash, and slip on are in the future.
    It really is a super versatile motorcycle. Great on the hwy, great 2-up, great on forest roads. I too have over 40 yrs of off road riding. I find lately that my ST is the bike I ride the most.
    [​IMG]
  10. Jabba

Oddometer:
    I got the flash done for more power. What I didn't anticipate was the HUGE upgrade in smoothness and ride ability. That throttle snatchiness is just gone after the flash.
    WRC51 likes this.
  11. 2WheelNeal

2WheelNeal F'n Neal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my S10. The 350lbs I dropped going from an Indian Roadmaster to the S10, doesn't make it feel heavy to me. But weight is subjective for each person. All I've done to mine so far is some protection and change oil and tires. Zero problems and none anticipated. It's as stone reliable as the FJR. :ricky

Who's flash did you go with?
  12. De-Silva

De-Silva Been around a while....

Oddometer:
    I have never ridden the Strom, so can't comment on it. Having put over 20K miles on a flashed Gen 2, I can tell you that it is a kickass bike that will tour well, handle the twisties well and manage trails and gravel easily... extremely capable machine. I will never again buy a bike without cruise control! Good luck with your search.
  13. Jabba

Oddometer:
    Its weight is relative to other bikes in this class. But they're all heavy as hell. The idea that the S10 is top heavy is just ill-informed. Look at the design- the twin is laid forward, and the tank dips down to drop to the weight lower. The long swing arm adds traction and compliance off-road. Fortnine did a nice job of describing why this bike is confidence inspiring in the loose stuff.

I had Anthony Corcella do my flash-
    2WheelNeal likes this.
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I've been raving about this for years. Yet there are many who still say the Gen II doesn't need a flash. If they only knew what they were missing out on.
  15. dovetailredux

dovetailredux bakery hound

Oddometer:
    The vstrom handles better and is easier to work on (if that's of concern). And of course is much cheaper to buy. But they're both great bikes.
  16. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    • Both the Strom and the ST are great bikes. If you liked touring on your FJR with its shaft drive and reliability but wanted one that could handle dirt/gravel roads, get the ST.
  17. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The best way to explain it is, the Super Tenere is the land cruiser of the bike world.
    You just can’t beat the reliability