Thinking Tenere 7

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dickensheets, Jul 20, 2020.

1. dickensheets

dickensheets smprparatus

Oddometer:
    Ive been on a Super Tenere for 7yrs. I like it almost all the time.

Ive been touring on a Victory XC last few years. It’s great for me and the GF.

My DR650 is getting long in the tooth. Me as well.

The super sits a lot.

Thinking of parting ways with the DR and Super for a T7.

I need encouragement from folks who’ve done a similar swap. And thoughts on T7.

Ryan
  2. lithodave

lithodave brachy850

Oddometer:
    It's a great travel Enduro for me. But I don't carry passenger.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    It's hard to give advice without knowing what kind of riding you envision doing on the T7.
  4. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The T700 will cover the S10 and DR roles easily as long as you’re still happy touring on the XC... and why wouldn’t you. That things a couch.

Having started on an F650 I know the cramped two up scenario well. My wife and I were squished. I have a 1200GS for that now. So I don’t have to two up with the Tenere now but I’ll try it to see how it does. Plenty of power but two up it’s nice to have at least 100 hp on tap.

DR650 I would lay money down the Tenere 700 would do everything the DR and S10 does with some minor suspension mods.

My buddy’s DR with Racetech kit in rear and proper front springs always felt like riding a donkey. A little rough around the edges, decent off-road, ok on the highway. My Wr250r with stock suspension was miles ahead better in every way but highway.

The Tenere 700 feels like a fat WR250R and while I love everything it has and doesn’t have, with a little suspension if I’m being honest, I think it will surpass my need for the WR. I don’t ride tons of single track. Mostly camp off the bike on Jeep trails and narrow trails.

The Tenere is not top heavy, it’s not slow, it’s soooofrickin smooth, has gobs if low end torque and revs happily. Off-road is predictable, narrow where you want it to be and has just enough wind protection for hours on the highway.

If you’re honest about what you want from this bike, and judging by your stable I can guess what type of riding you’re comfortable with, I would be shocked if you lost sleep over selling the DR and S10 and replacing with. Modestly sorted Tenere 700.

J
    Bike Guy and lithodave like this.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 and the other question if T700 will do as 2up tourer geometry, accommodation and suspension-wise. The logical step would be to go dealership and figure that out or hit YouTube for reviews. There are no T7s on the floor they sell them blind so dealership route is unlikely.

If it doesn't have to be Yamaha check 790 Adventure.. at least they are can be found good luck
  6. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Kinda in the same boat!
    I have owned my ST for 5 yrs now. Love riding the bike, in fact it is the bike I ride the most. Me and my wife want to do some touring, and while the ST is great 2-up it does not compare
    to say a goldwing, which I am considering. I figured this bike would be the best for the wife's comfort. Sooo, I have a 690, and a proper dirt bike. Thinking the T7 would cover what the
    690/ST can offer. It would leave me with 1 bike instead of two, which would be for solo riding for me. Then bite the bullet on a goldwing!
    I have test rode a KTM790S, and was extremely impressed. However I just love the reliability of my ST, and I know the T7 will offer the same.
    All the traction control modes, and different maps on the KTM honestly scare me. I just don't like stopping and constantly fiddling with different modes, heck I never really change the
    modes on my ST. I like the price and simplicity of the T7.
    My right hand still works pretty good for traction. :D
    lithodave likes this.
  7. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    One of the interesting things about the Gold Wing is that is has been around for a very long time and if you do a search on Craigslist with a max price of $3000 you will turn up a lot of nice Wings with higher mileage. Not too much of a bullet to bite. Of course, if you want fuel injection and the other latest electronics, prices vary all the way up to near new, but there is an incredible range of prices.
  8. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe Your plan is sound... and I will probably be following In your footsteps In a couple years.

I have a WR250R, a decked out DR650 and 2015 S10 ES.

I’ll sell the DR and S10 for a T7 once the T7 “newness” is worn off a bit and they are more readily available
  9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    For where I live, the T7 is too big for offroading (mostly single track) and too low powered for sport touring, not to mention no cruise. So my perfect combo is a 250 DP and the S10.

I would think about the T7 differently if I lived in an area with a lot of open desert-type riding and tons of dirt roads.
  10. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    That sounds a good consolidation/downsize. 1 DR650 + 1 SuperTen = 1 T7.
    I wish I had it so easy, but I'm starting in a different place.