Third Annual Latin American Riders' Rallye - ALARR III

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Nata Harli, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    July 22-27 - Northern Minnesota

The idea behind the annual LARR is for those of us who have ridden in Latin America to get together and swap war stories and those of you who think you might be interested (and, believe me, you should) in riding in Latin America to come pick our brains. Bananaman and I kept on trying to get together for a beer after our trips. Our schedules never worked out so Bananaman said "What the hell. Let's just put togeter a rally. That way, we'll both have to show up." So, voila - ALARR.

We are in the planning stages for our third annual rally. The first and second (FALARR & SALARR) were held in Colorado in Rocky Mountain National Park and on some private land, respectively.

However, this year, since we haven't gotten our act together, the RMNP group sites are all booked up and the owners of the private land will be doing work around the ranch so we're scrambling to find another site. Right now we're zeroing in on either Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Previous attendees will get first shot at this event in case we are limited to how many participants this year's site(s) can handle. After an appropriate time for past participants to let us know they will be attending, we will open it up to the rest of the asylum until all slots are filled. We're looking at anywhere from 25 - 100 slots available, depending on the site(s).

For the noobs, this is a very laid back rally. We don't plan anything except maybe some of the meals. Show up, meet new riders, make new friends and get in some riding. A lot of the past attendees have experience riding in Latin America and we are here for you to pick our brains, so to speak.

So, that in a nutshell, is what's going on for ALARR III. Keep checking in here and our "organizing committee" will keep you posted on our progress.

Oh, dates? Probably end of July or first of August, although that might change.

We're looking forward to seeing many of our old friends and hoping we have room for many new friends to attend.
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Reserved for future use...

I have to argue with Nata Harli about the idea. The idea was that he and I were going to ride half-way towards each other to buy each other beer. Pretty soon we had spectators... in order to keep them from turning into a rabid mob, we agreed to meet in Colorado.

Sponsors:

Nata Harli
    Mr. and Mrs. Colomtnbkr
    Mr. and Mrs. GSDiablo
    Me (Bananaman)

Admin Secretary: Bobloblaw

First Level Attendees (Lunatics who braved the snow in the first Rally, and made it back for the Second Rally, way back in the days before we added an e):
    Throttlemeister
    VFRBest and son

Second Level Attendees (Lunatics who were at one of the first two Rallys):
    Muleboy
    Bobloblaw
    Gato Gato
    DaveG
    Luciosq
    Barb
    CCJon
    DRaggs
    Arno

... I'll finish the list later...

Third Level Attendees (Lunatics who are coming to their first disaster):

JJMSP
    DFC
    Dr. Benny
    Owwmyeye
    Sasper

PM me to get added to the list.
  3. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

:deal
  4. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Now that we have two blank pages complete with blank blanks...

The Committee (Nata Harli, Colomtnbkr, GS Diablo, and me) have narrowed the location down to one place. We'll take suggestions until the day we publish our idea.

When you're making a suggestion, keep in mind the Essential Location Criteria:

1) Must Allow Motorcycle Gangs

From 2 on, the order doesn't matter. So I'll just make a long sentence.

Our location has to allow camping, have a source of water or be close enough to water to allow us to bring in a water tank, should have sanitary facilities or be able to host a couple of portapotties, and should allow us to have bonfires until late into the night, not be too far from a town with a grocery store and bar/liquor store... feel free to add criteria, up to and including a 5-star hotel.

Rather than clutter up the thread with proposals (as if my asking you to not clutter the thread will make any difference), please PM any of us with your ideas. We'll consider them until the middle of March, give-or-take about a week, unless one of the commitee members decides to just fucking decide already.

If we do Minnesota, don't worry, it'll be at the peak of biting fly/mosquito season.

Fees: Figure on spending $30-$50, depending on dates. This will basically cover suppers, some drink, some food, portapotty rental, etc. We'll have payment information available as soon as we decide on the venue.

Ask anyone from the last two rallye's and they'll tell you that the food was awesome. Especially the parilla (Argentinian Barbeque!!!), and extra-especially the breakfasts cooked by Greg and Elizabeth.

Everyone who attends will have a presentation to give. It varies, from technical things like what kind of malaria meds to take, to fun things like what color loctite to use on all your KLR bolts. I'm exempt from presenting anything cuz I'm the Presentation Assigner.

Oh yeah- everyone gets a title.
  5. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    Bman will be giving a presentation on starting the parilla very early in the afternoon. Is there a meat market close to the gathering site or do I have to haul the pig on the back of my KLR from Colorado?
  6. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    Starting it in the late afternoon only adds authenticity. No good l To those not in attendance, the food was exceptional and the company only OK.

We had quite a few people from or near Arizona/New Mexico.. Anyone from those areas have a good idea? While the riding in MN/WI is good (nice rolling hills), I love me some mountains. Plus, we need to make those northerners ride a bit more distance. MN would be too easy for bman/gsD.
  7. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    Thats for people we call "fancy pants" around here. We shoot, freeze and eat what we have. I hope people like Bear meat:evil
  8. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    I prefer deer and Nata Harli is one of the best deer hunters I know:D
  9. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to Third ALARR.
    I will try to organize my commitments to be in the US for this year's event.
    Let's try another parrilla (or two). This time we will be better prepared for it.
  10. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I'll let you be in charge of the meat. I'll do the chicken.
  11. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    :poser:poser

True, I'm am the best deer hunter at the rally(e). If you like road kill, "I'm Your Man" (to quote Leonard Cohen)

And, don't forget about the sticker. I'm in the process of designing this year's version and will post it soon.

Anyone who got one last year will agree it alone was worth the price of admission.
  12. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    It is the best looking part on my bike:
    [​IMG]
    You can see it on the front fender! well, sorta, not the best pic
  13. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Time to decide on this year's design.

Número uno

[​IMG]

El número dos

[​IMG]

El número tres

[​IMG]

El número quatro

[​IMG]

El número cinco

[​IMG]

El número seis

[​IMG] (Actually you can't vote on this one. Just a reminder of what life in Latin America is really like. And, besides, I like the picture. It brings back some fond memories. :evil I really miss that bike.)

So there you have it. Pick your favorite and vote. Of course, the sticker design committee is not bound by your vote but we have a democratic rallye and we like to say "Your vote is important". We just like to say it, it doesn't mean anything.
  14. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No way. You are the Leader (meat and chicken).
    I'm just a helper.
    Maybe, we can start cooking the meat earlier. So we can just relax, have a few (more) beers and don't worry about the whole thing.....:wink:
    Anyway, I'm sure it will be fun, as it was last year.:clap
    Looking forward to seeing you guys again.:freaky

15. bananaman

Oddometer:
    maybe we can also have platanos.

:)
  16. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a real cluster fk of screwed up people - cool. :D

If you're doing the MN thing, I suggest that this could also be your excuse for a nice Boundary Waters/Quetico trip, if that kinda thing has been eating at your mind for a while.
  17. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Not only that, but the outfitters will rent you everything you can't fit on your bike. My personal favorite is Sawbill, but the fact that you can camp anywhere in the Quetico makes it hard to decide which is actually better.
  18. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    If there's cuy, count me in.
  19. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    Once I announce its at my place (still a secret), we can work out a swap.
    I might need storage of a vehicle this spring/nextwinter in southern tx. My cabin is 80 miles north of the twin cities and I can help launch anyone who is inclined.
  20. dfc

dfc nonattractive

Oddometer:
    Sure wish I was one of the cool kid's :brow and could attend, I really miss Elizabeth :raabia

She treated me nicely :scratch