Third Annual Latin American Riders' Rallye - ALARR III

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Nata Harli, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Ride_There

Ride_There Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer:
    So that's what the bottom of a GS looks like. Did you learn how to lift it back up by yourself this time?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  2. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    I always wondered what the bottom looks like up close and personal, now I know.

I know how to pick the bike up as I've had lots of experience. It's just that when the bags are on I can't reach the handhold opposite the bars. I know how to retrofit it so I can overcome that but just hadn't done it yet. After all, it was just sitting in my driveway. What can go wrong there? :evil
  3. nightflyer

nightflyer Hors contrĂ´le

Oddometer:
    Don't worry Ken, I've found out it is quite normal for those bikes to take a rest every once in a while. Mine seems really attracted to gravity and falls quite bit by itself...or with my help!!!!

Here, it decided to take a break in Quito, Equator. What to do but wait till it is ready to go again???
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's always the nearly inverted route, it could be worse:
    [​IMG]

Or the stuck after a culvert washout pinch:
    [​IMG]

Its not so bad:lol3
  5. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Mine has napped in my driveway. 3 times. They're actually too tall to ride.

Hey John. How about you tell us about the culvert?
  6. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Once upon a time, my bike was as clean as Ken's.

[​IMG]
  7. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow... Looked like a fun rally! The trails around Greg's place seem great. Damn, I can't believe there was even skeet shooting.:freaky

Stupid ankle injuries, grrrrr...
  8. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    I kept expecting a call in the middle of the night telling me you were lost/broke down :lol3. I really didn't know what too expect(of this crowd) but I can safely say you would of had a blast:freaky
    Are you in Az or Ia these days?
  9. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been in Iowa for the last 2 weeks so I could sell watermelons to the Ragbrai bicycle riders but am headed back to AZ tomorrow. I wanted to come to the rally but figured I might be too tempted to ride a motorcycle or jump in the fire after too much Wild Turkey.

I am moving back to Iowa at the end of August for a couple months of ankle recooperation/surgery.

Glad to see everyone had an awesome time.
  10. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    So while you are on the mend, you can come on up this fall. (I'll hide the wild turkey and motorcycles:evil) You can shoot skeet from the 4 wheeler:gun2
    You are welcome anytime.
    Take care of your bones/body, you only get one set:eek1. Greg
  11. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    That story is near the last of my ole 33 1/3 thread.
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I'll read it!

Meanwhile, other events have gotten me to thinking.

We had a ton of fun and camraderie at the first LARR.

I can't remember if it was at the first one or the second one, but I remember once hearing that Gato Gato had asked someone to kick me in the nuts. I laughed it off. Geoff turned out to be exactly the kind of lunatic I like.

At this last one, at Greg's, a woman I'd never before met told me that she was supposed to punch me in the face, on behalf of Candohome. Since I was at Greg's, and I was under the impression that the woman, and Aaron, are friends of Greg's, I tried to laugh it off. However, it was very uncomfortable.

In general, I don't take threats lightly. For the record, I won't laugh again. Next time I hear something like that, I'll deliver to the messenger an overwhelming response.

I don't go to Latin America Rider Rallys to threaten or intimidate people. I go to share and learn, to meet fellow travelars, to see old friends, and to feel normal.

A new rule is, if anyone at a LARR makes a threat towards anyone else, they will have to leave promptly. If they don't leave promptly, I'll make sure they are removed.

Seriously.

Love,

Max
  13. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    :huh

There are always going to be people who don't get along with one another on this forum, at rallys, or on trips and that's just the way it goes.

If everyone agreed with everyone what kind of fun would that be?

You have to take the good with the bad, everyone can be :asshat from time to time but setting up rules like this is surely not even required ADVers, we are good people.

Most people assume fighting is not kosher unless its rally wide brawl:lol3
  14. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a good time at the rally last week.Would rather have been on a dual sport.But Gayle only travels on the big bike.Thanks to Greg and Elizabeth for putting up with everyone.
    Thanks to everyone who posted pics showing me what I missed by riding my big pig.
    There was going to be a list of attendees with names,handles,and possibly email addresses PM.Just wondering if that is still planned.

Steven,have you headed west yet?Still planning to go South in October?
    John,have you decided if your trip is on this winter?

Ben,Max and Yannick,thanks for sharing your knowledge.I'm not done with you yet.

Doug
  15. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    They make a lot of farkles for them Beemers that may prevent that from happening.When I was young and got my first bike,my mommy put training wheels on it to help.
    Just a thought.
  16. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    But, if I had training wheels on it I wouldn't be able to clean the underside like I can now! :evil

I've actually decided I'm going to get this bike cleaned up and put it up for sale and get a 650 of some kind. KLR, F650, WeeStrom, something like that.

Does Harley make a 650? :lol3
  17. bananaman

Oddometer:
    "No Threats" is an advrider.com rule. Violating it will get an inmate banned. Same rule applies to rallys.
  18. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    What kind of a wanker sends a women to deliver his message and what kind of women agrees to deliver the message. These people need to grow up.

If someone has an issue with a rally attendee they can do one of the following

1. suck it up and enjoy yourself in spite of your problem
    2. discuss your issue with person bothering you and then move on
    3. don't bother to attend the rally in the first place.

I agree with bananaman regarding threats/violence and general asshats. I attend these rallys to relax and chill out . I don't need any stress. I try to practice number 1.

Rant off
  19. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    +1 Its really not that bad
  20. bananaman

Oddometer:
    22 pages of good stuff, and there weren't any actual fights, so it wasn't that bad. Even so, there's really no room for asshats.

I certainly have thick skin, but that doesn't mean I'm always going to sit back and laugh. My first words in Spanish were, "cuidado. Te pego duro."