Third time's the charm! I guess I'll social distance too!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flying.moto, Aug 24, 2020.

1. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wait...what? Two X’s in the same pic? Gotta be p’shopped..:scratch
    eaglescan, flying.moto and waylongway like this.
  2. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    haha! i know where there is another one... would be a hoot if we all meet up in Colorado! :rofl
    mtncrawler and waylongway like this.
  3. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Fantastic continuation @waylongway !! :clapawesome shots and even more super thank you for the lead up “the shortcut” and lunch :ricky:ricky

Great times riding with ya! :super

A little earlier on the day 5, duty called them...

[​IMG]

and duty called me too! :lol3

[​IMG]

that pre-filter is working magically @chokozip

Then all packed up, ready to go, my good friend Gary said “aren’t you gonna go see the Detroiter fly?

[​IMG]

i guess it was a decent excuse to be late for the date with @waylongway :rofl

[​IMG]

first flight since restoration, but, didn’t happen. there was still some TLC needed, as the prop governor was not behaving nicely at take off power...

so, on with the show! :ricky

how cool is this?! “the shortcut” started with this! i soooo was tempted to climb all over it...

[​IMG]

but did not want to cause any more delays...

[​IMG]

then suddenly we made a new friend!:eek2

[​IMG]

does anyone know what that Sasquatch fly really is?

Shortly after, bliss riding was had by all! on and off pavement!

[​IMG]

no chicken strips!

[​IMG]

that was a really cool spot off the pavement!

[​IMG]

I know i should have taken a photo of the lunch spot but... my brain farted one more... although the burgers at Dotty’s in Etna were awesomeee!!

shortly after the group time as up and we each went in different directions ~

[​IMG]

i thought that looked rather cool.

on and off the pavement, this track i planned is (still) impressing me a lot more than my recent Cali stuff.

[​IMG]

can i have some Siberia-level bragging rights if i ride across this? :loco

[​IMG]

i think the plate said 1915....

aside from a very few rocky-steep tacky places, everything was quite fast paced!

[​IMG]

the elevation was finally showing up in the vegetation types... awesome! :super

then, while trying to take a selfie, i was photobombed by a cool couple in a pickup truck...

[​IMG]

but all had fun, had a few beers and swapped lies well into the night!

[​IMG]

more stuff tomorrow!

[​IMG]
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Catching up again and made it through page 2 and 3...fantastic :thumb :thumb. Super cool you were able to meet up with a fellow inmate and log some miles, and you've experienced such an incredible array of scenery and geography.

Look forward to what comes next, really wish I could get some time off and head out to join you for a leg of the OR part.

Knobby side down @flying.moto :ricky
    flying.moto and waylongway like this.
  5. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amen to that.!
    So glad I finally got to meet you after all these years.
    Like you said I thought we would always meet up in Death Valley some day not in my back yard....:lol3
    Thanks for letting me tag along on part of your adventure so much more to see up this way....:beer
    20180520_110713_zps4g7hufp8.jpg
    AJxr, Nixels, Amphib and 3 others like this.
  6. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Day 6! actually, day 7 just happened so is this now a real Epic RR? :lol3

Early morning rise and shine! My neighbors slept through it all... rolled over and continued their dreams... meanwhile as quietly as possible i rolled out...

[​IMG]

i don’t know why photo id square... but the trail called! and I answered :ricky

[​IMG]

slowly, more mountains appeared on the horizon! now we are getting somewhere! the night before was the best night in the tent so far. have i forgotten how it’s done already?!

[​IMG]

Then... bridges. gotta have bridges in any good RR, right? :rofl

[​IMG]

the roll off to it was threatening with unscheduled visit to the creek bottom so i passed~

The steppe wasn’t much safer. this rock spider looks quite menacing even with one limb missing...

[​IMG]

i mean, hit him at 55 mph and you’re a goner :photog

The trail just kept getting faster and funner!

[​IMG]

funny thing is, i’ve never really been a super fast traveler. i always liked to stop all over the place. but on this ride i am truly enjoying the pace! at least here in western side of OR.... never thought id say that ever since @havoc1 and I totally rallied WABDR.... :pynd

then, as if i asked for it...

[​IMG]

this trail went from 60 mph to 6 quick! :hmmmmm

[​IMG]

definitely only a bike or two been through here :lol2

But, once it hops over another reek... via abridge, nothing too epic, all is fast again! And then i see! only 11 miles away is an old Volcano that has filled up with water!!

[​IMG]

i just had to stop and see! There is even a smaller volcano in the lake!

[​IMG]

ok ok...Crater Lake it is :D

A really cool place and not too crowded right now.

Another cool thing to note around, i thought, is all the volcanic rock.

[​IMG]

And of course the greenery!

[​IMG]

Short and sweet was the stay... time to click on some miles! :ricky

[​IMG]

High speed bliss engage!

wait... what?

[​IMG]

a lake? at the end of this... road?

never mind the lake, almost out of light!

[​IMG]

looks like a good spot as any! Home sweet home!

but what about the lake?

[​IMG]

definitely man-made :lol3

time to roll it up for today... stay tuned for more!

[​IMG]
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Effin' killer drone shot of that lake @flying.moto! I'm really looking forward to seeing the actual tracks if you're going to share them; this looks like a truly wonderful ride. Haven't been down to Crater Lake since the mid-2ks; glad you were able to swing by on a clear day without a boatload of tourists. The southern Cascade range seriously stunning; actually the whole Cascade range is amazing - all the way up through WA.

Knobby side down man, look forward to what's next!
    Ginger Beard and flying.moto like this.
  8. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Dude! Thank you! some more neat drone shots of more volcanic nature coming up from yesterday. Today, waking up in the tent, but there is a cell tower above on the hill! no update yet as the sun is up and it’s time to ride!

I’ll share this track at the end. gotta get rid of a lot of backtracking loops or... maybe just waypoint at the end of them with a road closed since they possibly can be found elsewhere?
    waylongway, MrKiwi, NSFW and 3 others like this.
  9. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    f.m. great to see you're covering lots of good grounds and seeing awesome places. doing a RR on the fly is tough and i appreciate the hard work. don't be skimpy on the pics since each one has a good story.

stay safe and continue to have fun. see you back here after your trip. this weekend is hot here 105F. wish i am still up there in the northwest, and 8 weeks of moto camping i thought was long. i was wrong. have to go home since since the bike needs major service - valve adjustment and blown fork seals.
    flying.moto likes this.
  10. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Nude With Boots

Oddometer:
    This might be the first ride report I've seen in a couple years. Looks like exactly my next ride. Could you be talked into sharing your route GPX? Especially that one that follows eastern California all the way north, haven't seen that before.
  11. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    blown seal... i got a NSFW joke about that one :lol3 i strangely was reminding it to a good friend today, because our mutual is in the same dilemma! wait! are you out riding too? for 8 weeks?! you know, when i left for Canada, i had a leaky fork that i thought will annoy me the rest of the ride but cleared it with improvised “seal saver”

still, let’s go riding once i'm back! :ricky

Eastern Cali... my desert tracks? or central Sierras my favorite mountain track up? or... this $hiz show of the western sierra im on now? :roflwuzzat it be? regardless, im nowhere near my computer so tracks will be posted later :dj
    Clem Kevin likes this.
  12. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Day 7! It’s official! :photog

Epic!

almost epic morning, or is it?

[​IMG]

Tent, White Crow, cool mountain air, trees, absence of the city... no Grand Tetons in the background this time but still, better than waking up in my apartment by a long shot! Epic! :super

@waylongway suggested i stop by here for supplies

[​IMG]

perfect little store on lake Lemolo, and that hound there is a fierce beast! the terror of chipmunks!

my breakfast date was much more timid.

[​IMG]

I know i’ve said it before, i am enjoying the fast paced run this time as i haven’t done that before... but every time i cross these plentiful bridges, looking at these awesome Oregon rivets and streams... next time i didn’t start the ride with a parked motorbike blues... i need to go back here. i need to go slow. and i need to fish !

[​IMG]

A lit of us know about Pacific Crest Trail, i've hiked it in the south a little, i’ve seen it here and there riding, i’ve seen a stash for hikers in the desert but... this one was huge!!

[​IMG]

Then, looking up... the next area had strange moss on the trees, just the area...

[​IMG]

Some of the trails along my planned track were suddenly slower! nice healthy mix not to blast all day at the Ludicrous Speed! :evil

[​IMG]

But they all lead to a lake or two!

[​IMG]

And then, among the forest... a rock quarry?!

[​IMG]

A volcano?!

[​IMG]

Definitely a volcano!

[​IMG]

Hey Ma, here’s a selfie!

[​IMG]

I relived a little of Erzberg dreams there, almost stuffed it twice, and didn’t have the camera on, because if i did, id definitely crash trying to do something even more stupid! :p3rry

and then the bliss!

[​IMG]

Shortly after, the GPS said there’s a huge lake-reservoir in front... but where is it?

[​IMG]

apparently it’s supposed to be there. i found a small remnants of the puddle with some dam controlling device but... none of the photos look any good so... on with the bliss!

[​IMG]

another super neat thing to see is how the trees and the environment changes, which is a lot more noticeable when covering some miles quick...

[​IMG]

The volcanic nature of Oregon was starting to show up even more now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wait what is that silty crap that the trail is turning into? :confused

hit it at a speed they said, gyro stabilization from the spinning wheels they said... :p3rry

[​IMG]

at least falling in it was soft... never mind the boulders hiding in the deep deep silty crap :augie

luckily that section wasn’t long, but simply a reality check!

next up... a turn i missed, traffic thickened, and where in the hell... a tourist trap?!

[​IMG]

off the beaten path will get you far from the crowds! :rofl

[​IMG]

right under here far!

[​IMG]

and maybe a little farther!

[​IMG]

just a little angle change does all the magic!

[​IMG]

everything depends on what angle you look at it. overcrowded or not, that is the result! people aside, its still a very neat little gem.

[​IMG]

on with the trail. almost a yellow brick toad... red dirt trail is better! Can you spot the town far on the right? Sisters, OR!

[​IMG]

Looking back... uh oh...

[​IMG]

will it cycle here again soon?

[​IMG]

All that city-talk about forest fires aside, but did you know that the Sequoia can’t reproduce without a wildfire? :norton

Sun was setting and i found myself near an overcrowded OHV campground. i debated for a while and settled on a secluded-ish spot...

[​IMG]

Campfire ban? oops! i did drown and bury it before rolling up! all is good! :augie
    AJxr, black 8, Ginger Beard and 9 others like this.
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i rode to ID-MT-WA-OR from June 17th to Aug. 18th, wish i could stay longer or until mid-September. i was able to slow down the fork seal leak and got me home safely. same here, and i used the plastic bottle to make a "seal saver".

take your time, this weekend it will be 109F here in the valley. i'll have my RR up soon. make sure to ride to Mosko Moto in White Salmon and camp there for at least a few days. all good people and very energetic.
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Simply fantastic @flying.moto! Great job with the drone shots, hope you're able to get it up and have it chase you when the trees won't be an issue. Would have been cool to see you ripping along that red dirt track outside of Sisters.

Knobby side down man, look forward to what comes next!
    flying.moto and waylongway like this.
  15. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Ha! i’m headed there today, will take a little break there but not sure i can afford a few days anymore, as much as i want to. work wants me back sooner. and i want to avoid having to grind the silly I5 for days to catch up.

[​IMG]

that’s a last night’s stop. teaser only until i get on better internet :rayof
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    when you get to MM Bates Mototel and Lizard Lounge, please say hello to Pete, Ash, Ruben, Enrique, Jenn, Julia, and Sarah from me.

they are all friendly and helpful. enjoy your stay. if you're going to ride along the Columbia River Gorge, i find the northern shore (WA side) to be more scenic.
  17. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    I would have loved to fo do, snd was very close to doing exactly that routing-wise as the WA side looked mighty tasty... but... the dummy in me took what probably will amount to a 300 mile detour, just to take this photo! :photog

[​IMG]

But, Jen at Mosko Moto did convince me to get some more new gear than i originally planned. I just wish they had stock on hand!
  18. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Day 8!

Evening shot morning shot... hey, the bike is still here! packed. ready to roll. didn’t wander off at night :rofl

[​IMG]

Sun is up too high. i know i know. lazy morning :augie

But wow! first glimpses of really tall mountains! ⛰

[​IMG]

Can’t stop stopping! Im really beginning to think that Oregon might be more beautiful than California by a lot more... i need to inspect the deserts though....

[​IMG]

Then, riding along, after misspelling a recommendation of @liv2day to visit a certain lake and GPS wanting me to ride to Seattle?! I just rode and suddenly saw the sign! :lol3

[​IMG]

He said i’d have a lot more fun going to this one than Trillium... the start of my silly routing is promising indeed!:ricky

[​IMG]

Then, the lake, pretty clear lake!

[​IMG]

Of more lakes?!

[​IMG]

in every direction!?

[​IMG]

After a little riding around, i notice there’s an alternate exit/lead up to the lakes? lets see it! along the way though wow!

[​IMG]

A little down the road, there was another lake, belonging to a Tribe but, they kindly allow camping and kayaking on it. Very pretty lake!

[​IMG]

I think it’s name is Britenbush Lake...

The track there? that backside return... nice and rocky!

[​IMG]

The coolest part about it all is that even paved forest roads are beautiful!

[​IMG]

Then 1500 o’clock struck. I found myself racing to riiiight here, getting on a company conference call :lol3 could be s a worse setting!

[​IMG]

Then, being so close to Trillium, why not? let’s see it.

boy was it a zoo! just like that one episode of south park when pool turns yellow. get it?

i still managed a half-decent angle on a photo!

[​IMG]

Then i finally made it to outskirts of Portland and met up with @liv2day ! :beer

What an awesome time! Thank you, Brad, for everything!!

More in the next installment!

:pynd
    AJxr, River Rat, black 8 and 11 others like this.
  19. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    A little midday update of the next day!

@liv2day was super kind to host me for the night, so some maintenance was almost due... and done. Thank you, Brother!! :bow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that needs changing! :photog

by the way, if the filter element is flat... is it a chocolate brownie, not a chocolate cake?!

thanks to @chokozip this plate is still full strong. working well albeit i’m misusing it abut :D

Fueled and filled at Slick’s BBQ We say farewells, but... little bit later, what’s... whoooosaaaa??!

[​IMG]

hi there ‘lil fella!

damn i wish to take you along! :happay

What now!? did i lose some of you?! is my RR THAT...

[​IMG]

:fpalm

but hey, if you think it is, i present you the final destination of WALL-E! he is now holding a sign to save up for an oil change! i bet that high-end cutie left him afterall

[​IMG]

Wait... i sidetracked. somewhere the truck scale said my whole setup and i on top is 700lbs... with +\- 50lbs accuracy... i seem to remember in mexico weighing 670. damn you tasty beer! :photog:drink

then bridges!

[​IMG]

can never have enough bridges! or tunnels?

[​IMG]

then suddenly, it was rather sudden! i promise!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and so the day ends riiiight here! know when to hold em know when to fold em. i liked this spot. more to come! :super

[​IMG]
    AJxr, Amphib, River Rat and 11 others like this.
  20. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awsome job buddy..!:super

flying moto meets Flying squirrel. :pynd:pynd
    [​IMG]

You seem to find the perfect spots to spend the night...:snore

Thanks for the updates...!