Third time's the charm! I guess I'll social distance too!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flying.moto, Aug 24, 2020.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any time amigo, was great hanging out and happy to provide a place to do some maintenance. Hope the southern bound travels have been good and the knobs have stayed vertical.

Look forward to the next update @flying.moto!
  2. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    :dealHah! today, i’m sleeping on a side of the road, among cattle, @chokozip would be proud that i’m keeping up the bovine relations! :jack

But, i could not stand wet boots any more, everything was probably closed, and this spot here looked mighty good!

[​IMG]

but, im getting ahead of myself... where have i left off?! :hmmmmm

[​IMG]

good morning, moon! I thought i had a decent campsite but... morning exploration yielded this perfection!

[​IMG]

reminded me that time i randomly camped in Idaho with my test door aimed right at the Tetons... this would have been cool! maybe next time. location saved! :deal

Next up was a visit to Mosko Moto! Jen over there took extra time and gave me the over view of the offerings, and i really liked what i came there for... but... no stock. only show pieces... at least i know the mail-order will fit :lol3 Thank you, Jen! Also for recommending White Salmon Bakery!

[​IMG]

Filled up i was ready for adventures! :ricky

OR really looks cool from WA side :photog

[​IMG]

Then, in the local forests, a Tigercat is lurking!

[​IMG]

what got me interested besides that beast is the contraption behind it... the guy there called it “The Tower”... amazing machines!

The deeper i went in the forest the more volcanic things became~

[​IMG]

then suddenly, a hole?

[​IMG]

what can be in there? it seems i’ll just fit...

[​IMG]

no bats so far...

[​IMG]

it just keeps on going... its cold in here! really cold.

[​IMG]

Icy cold! look! who’s got the blender and margarita mix?!:jkam

then, there was a ladder...and an explanation

[​IMG]

ice, yep. found it :photog

Next up... silly mad-dog-run memory lane search... got me to a Horseshoe Lake. it seems on this ride alone i already found few of them... will these horseshoes bring me luck?

[​IMG]

hmm, not quite the view i was looking for...

[​IMG]

not this either... strange horseshoe actually... more like a cinnamon almond bearclaw.

[​IMG]

this is it! but... last time i had no drone... so this must be a wrong lake... and a wrong mountain although i’m sure i camped on this one too.

i still think i needed to stay there for subset colors but... no fully charged drone battery left, and this detour did put me nearly 300 miles off course... so i stopped at a little waterfall :rofl

[​IMG]

then pounded miles to Yakima, to attempt to make up time~

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for next day!
    :evil
    AJxr, Comrade Art, Amphib and 14 others like this.
  3. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Damn @flying.moto; really jealous you were up exploring the Giff. Looks like that might be Takhlakh Lake? Though to be honest it doesn't look close enough to Mt. Adams.

Regardless, great pics man, and a great route you've been riding. Curious as to why you wanted to go to Yakima? Something specific there you wanted to see? Not your typical adv destination...lol.

Knobby side down man, look forward to what comes next.
    flying.moto likes this.
  4. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Thank you! :D

Possibly that’s the lake i was thinking of... possibly. i need to look up my old tracks and see where they squiggle too much noting a stop :lol3

Yakima simply was the next city in the needed direction where i had a hotel that i can stay in for free, thats all! No special ADV interest other than... the hotel had secure parking... first impressions of the city were kinda rough...
  5. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Waking up in Yakima! Nice hotel, bike didn’t get stolen, all is good! :super

[​IMG]

then... as i walked around the bike... front knobbie was really complaining about all the pavement abuse i was dishing out. so... i gave the poor thing some more of that to reack Walla Walla quickly... at the opening bell at Tom’s.

[​IMG]

Aside the name, Michael owns the place now, amazingly better than good collection of tires in stock, and fantastic service!

[​IMG]

The guys took my wheel, swapped the rubber ahead of the line and had me on my way in no time! Worthy stop just to stop or, come out of the way if you need something. Fantastic guys! even gave me some grease and rags to put it all back together correctly :bow

[​IMG]

Then pointed me into direction of a great Mexican restaurant for lunch! Mi Pueblito! Hawaiian taco anyone? :photog

[​IMG]

I don’t know why but the photo to me makes it look less appealing than in real life... i guess “food photographer” is a real thing after all :photog
    That said, the road turned to gravel right at the state line! whadddayaknow?!

then...

watch out...

i had crazies jump out of the bushes at me before (true story...) but never one of these!

[​IMG]

:eek2

Ruuuun for the hills!! :happay

[​IMG]

the scenery more and more reminded me of Arizona...

[​IMG]

Then suddenly, for the pleasure you can’t measure... completely in the middle of a forest... an outhouse :hmmmmm

[​IMG]

no hiking trail or anything around...

No i did not need to use it but... ran down to a small town for supplies and coffee! cool trains!

[​IMG]

The name of the place escapes me right now... i’m sure i’ll edit it in when i run through the tracks...

and for now, back for the hills!

[​IMG]

There was a little bear here... but, camera wasn’t running and he hightailed his bare bear arse fast into the bushes as i was feverishly pressing buttons on the gopro! :lol3

[​IMG]

A little later, there was a pavement section where I did see another bigger bear. that one i bet is on film. we shall see when i get to a computer :super

[​IMG]

Then, as usual, the shadows grew longer... and it was time to find a camp.

[​IMG]

Somewhere around here should do.

[​IMG]

why not.

[​IMG]

Good night! More to come :wave
  6. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    f.m

hope you're out of harms way from the widespread forest fire
    flying.moto likes this.
  7. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    this is the closest i came to it on the ride. right in my way.

[​IMG]

but navigated around it all. now, stuck sucking in all the wonderful California “air”....
    NSFW, Ginger Beard and chudzikb like this.
  8. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    In the next morning! whatever day it is, but its 5th! the sky greeted me with awesome patterns!

[​IMG]

The trail was awesome and easy, all the way to the top, where another silly dream came true! To find a real lookout thats still in use!

[​IMG]

there were no annoying angry warnings and gates so i climbed up the stairs, and it was locked up. nobody’s home.

[​IMG]

So, time to spy with my flying eye! :smile6

[​IMG]

let’s see just what they're up to in there... :norton

[​IMG]

After a short break and some more filming, on with the ride! gotta keep the pace! :ricky

[​IMG]

the rivers! meaning more cool bridges!

[​IMG]

Or water powered powerplants?

[​IMG]
    Apparently this one is quite an awesome museum but... that mo#$&@ng covid shut this place down too... :becca

[​IMG]

It was still pretty cool!

[​IMG]

and the history of it becoming the museum is impressive!

[​IMG]

They used a pipe to feed it from a lake above, constructed of wood alike a barrel!

[​IMG]

Next up were remnants of mining operations and old mining towns... that had no gas! But my bike had still a bunch so that did not stop me much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While walking around town I ran into a local on a KLR who took me toward next town, and pointed at the best burger joint there!

[​IMG]

The burger was excellent! :beer Visit them if you find yourself by Sumpter, OR! worth a stop for a burger and a beer or...a little mining museum!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was pretty cool, free and open! Even had a workshop!

[​IMG]

I totally lived this drill press!

[​IMG]

Refueled, fed and rested, the call of the trail has gotten strong once again! :ricky

[​IMG]

then suddenly...

[​IMG]

Pinche!!

I knew taking them huge potholes at 45-50 mph has done it!

Tube changed and on with the show, til sunset finds me sleepy!

[​IMG]

This will do! Should have amazing starry sky

[​IMG]

Stay tuned. Big Buck ahead!
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you posting man, been wondering where the heck you've been and if everything was ok.

Damn @flying.moto! Didn't realize you were heading that far east. I've wanted to visit that Fremont power station for years, the forest service rents a couple cabins near there and they're supposed to be really neat.

Was Granite out of gas for good, or only when you stopped by? Used to stop there when I was riding street and we'd rip FR52 (53?) from Ukiah to Granite and then Sumpter before stopping for a bite to eat. Mostly fantastic memories from all the street rides I did back then, with one really bad memory when I crashed bad and broke my pelvis in 5 spots in '02.

Hope you don't mind me posting, went back the year after to visit my crash spot and grabbed fuel in Granite.

[​IMG]

That's my old RC51 in the right side of the pic...that was a fun bike.
    [​IMG]

Keep the knobby side down man, hope you're done with flats for the rest of the ride too...effin' hate those.
    NSFW, Ginger Beard, dondesmo and 2 others like this.
  10. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    @liv2day Nah, man, post away! Most if not all inmates who replied so far kept it relevant! :rofl I still am having second thoughts on the whole "like button" thinking when i see a reply it is a definite "real 'like', with a lot more effort" but I do tend to overthink things sometimes... :photog

All has been good. Past three or four days involved one random meeting with a cool duo of riders from CO, and a cool run in with another traveler I followed for a while now near SF. Also a lot of long miles in the saddle on pavement, that really made e love the Motoz Tractinator more and more... first time I tried it, and I am thoroughly impressed! Sand, silt, rocks, pavement and all... I think the good old D606 will have to move aside on the next tire change as well. But tire reviews will be in the last installment of "reflections". :D

Few hours ago, I rolled into my garage. Monday is off to work. -1 day. but, teaser teaser, 18 days 4850 miles... yeah... it was a bit of a marathon! :photog

But... damn, dude! What a wipeout story! :p3rry

I always thought and still am, RC51s are more awesome that Ducati twins :hide

:norton
    liv2day, Amphib and waylongway like this.
  11. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    The 6th awakening was stumped by a strange, mythical, and ominous totem right outside of my tent! :confused

[​IMG]

Maybe last night's visitor left it?

[​IMG]

I highly doubt it, but one thing I don't doubt, there were about 100 hunters on that mountain wishing to meet this guy. He was happy hanging out with me for quite some time instead :beer

Things gathered, it was time to hit the race course... i mean the trail!

....hello ladies?

[​IMG]

The river was on the map across the trail but... where did the bridge go?!

[​IMG]

I thought for a second, it's flowing kinda unevenly... i should scout it for obvious things... so I started to rock-hop... then remembered that my left boot is a sieve, the right boot is a little better... I had two plastic bags in my pocket... one is a sieve, another is half decent... well... guess how I matched two and two? :lol3 then... SEND IT! :pynd

No crashes, no drowns.... forgot to safeguard the phone is the left pocket... forgot to turn on the gopro... it was deep closer to the far side... i got through kinda dry so I counted my blessings and left you guys with no footage and moved on! :ricky

[​IMG]

Bliss riding! My kinda thing indeed! I think I am enjoying western Oregon too much! :ricky

Then suddenly... a river!

[​IMG]

Well well well... one more missing bridge!

[​IMG]

Let's see if that drone actually follows me...

And it did not! Twice! Maybe I should have read a manual or watched a youtube tutorial at the very least.... total operator error! :norton

But, right now im too lazy to edit videos, and enjoying a drink, so, here is a screenshot!

[​IMG]

Yeah, you're seeing take three. all the kicked up stuff... on take two i got sooooooo damn wet, that it couldn't get any worse, so I ran through there a few more times :loco

:ricky

:flush

The results will be revealed soon-ish!

But before then, lets ride for a whole day wearing really wet boots! :lol3

[​IMG]

At least the trail looks.... traveled, right?

[​IMG]

Yep, it cleared up! so... a few more "follow me" experiments! And all I got to show for it all is this...

[​IMG]

Maybe eventually @liv2day will tell us how long it took him to ace this whole drone thing :photog

What next section brought is bliss riding but... smoke...

[​IMG]

Dead end trail first, complete solo-too-long-to-get-through mountain-size mud slide on one end and private pastures with angry signs on the other.... backtracked to this!

[​IMG]

A grain silo of sorts or a nuclear powered space ship? :norton do you guys know? I've only seen one as a strange art prop. This is the first one I see in it's natural environment.

Then...

[​IMG]

Third kinda abandoned trail?

[​IMG]

Hmm... hasn't been used recently indeed! :lol3

But look! the bike fits here! :ricky

[​IMG]

Let's BRAAAAP!

On the side note, after riding ll around Oregon, you Oregonians are doing a helluva better job getting rid of forest fire fuel than your southern neighbor...

[​IMG]

Open 'er up! Miles to go more!

[​IMG]

Then suddenly! My NUMERO UNO enemy appears! I shall terminate these with extreme skidding to a dusted stop prejudice! :2guns

[​IMG]

f'in mylar balloons... even though I doubt there are tortoises here to eat them.... still... I hate to see them in the desert. Pick up all that I find... and yeah... skidding stop on any kind of ruts always turns you sideways, doesn't it? :lol3

Another shortcut later... i'm exploring more underused trail :rofl

[​IMG]

That one actually led to a pretty good canyon... past a lake earlier where some "new russkies" were trying to fish... after obscene amount of beer... but they were having fun, so I left them to their fix :photog

[​IMG]

The going was more and more east and south... the terrain was changing :hmmmmm

[​IMG]

wait what.... this aint a "desert" i know!

[​IMG]

ugh... i dubbed this "training" and pushed on...

[​IMG]

Just about when I had enough of this... a dry lake bed! Woooooot! :ricky

[​IMG]

And even a sign! I SAW A SIGN! :happay

[​IMG]

Then you probably guessed it...

[​IMG]

How the hell am i supposed to pitch a tent in this crap.... I am seriously thinking of trying a hammock next time... although I love going to CA desert... good luck finding two cacti close to each other... and then there's a thought if one or both of them fall over on you.... ow! :ace

Luck has it. Accommodation showed itself!

[​IMG]

Towel was stuffed into wet boots, socks hung out to dry...

[​IMG]

And bliss campsite made among a cow pasture! Good night! :super

[​IMG]
  12. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Growing up in a lumber mill family I have seen my share of burners. One was 1/4 mile down the road from my house ..stacks and stacks of logs from days long gone, and now we wonder why the world is on fire... :(:

Wigwam burner
    A wood waste burner, also known as a teepee burner, beehive burner or wigwam burner, stands in a field in central Oregon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GLAD you made it back to your hanger safe.! You are an animal ......:bow
  13. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Broken conveyances, alien sculptures and a drone that thinks for itself? Mr Lucas, izzat you?! :lol3

Really enjoying your ride report! :freaky
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Great update @flying.moto! I'm quite keen to know where the heck this track took you, especially as you were in Sumpter the day before - right? Seriously neat that you found a dry lake bed out there to goof off on; the terrain you're riding through reminds me of some of the dual-sport riding I've done around Fossil and that part of OR. That canyon you found with the river looks fantastic - were you filtering water as you went?

Killer shot of that buck, can't believe he stood still and hung around for you to get a pic - guys with a rack like that don't get those by hanging about when they pick up the scent of one of us :lol2 :lol2

Regarding active track and the drone, I should put a bloopers reel together showing all the instances where I ride away and the damn drone tracks me with the camera, but doesn't move an inch. Or starts tracking me in profile mode and moves off into the distance losing me eventually. Or is tracking me and stops because it's reached the critical point where it won't have enough battery to 'return to home' as that point was a couple miles ago - those MORONS at DJI disabled the dynamic home point feature in the 2 and haven't answered any of my support inquiries into why and when it'll be added back. Picking up the sense of frustration...lol?

Suffice to say, I'd guess that active track worked about 1/3 of the time when I took off riding. 2/3rds of the time I'd have to stop to manually fly it close to me and start again. Lots of expletives flying out of the helmet. And the funny thing is I bought the Mavic 2 as they marketed the hell out of their 'Active Track v2' feature as much improved over the first version. Yeah, not so much.

Anyway, enough on the drone crap, this is a ride report after all.

Look forward to what and where you update next man! You covered a ton of ground in 18 days, glad you're home safe and didn't get messed up by any of the fires burning.

Safe flights as you head back to work; don't forget to update this report as we need the relief :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  15. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    damn f.m. you are so lucky and brave to ride solo. you and liv2day are animals.

never seen one and unlikely this close. you must be using some deodorant that attracts...i'll help you repack them and sell as deer scent....or was it your wet socks....:lol3
    [​IMG]
    chudzikb and flying.moto like this.
  16. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your story and pics:thumb
    flying.moto likes this.
  17. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    :norton:augie

That explains it! I think I have about 25% success rate with "decent footage" result :photog So, I guess that makes us almost even! Your post-processing is too awesome though. :bow

Either my socks, or the jacket I decided to retire after this ride...so I haven't washed it a while :augie

You know, Im not lying when I say that I dont just look like a mountain goat when I get back off the mountain, I even smell like one... so maybe the animals sometimes get more confused than they should? :hmmmmm[/QUOTE]
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  18. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Wow.... That is sooo...... much closer to thermo(nuclear) space ship than I imagined it to be after all! :lol3

First time I saw one was off a highway 26 not too far from Rhododendron, OR. The nearby pic is yet to come for a different reason, but, thank you for the secret reveal! :super
    waylongway likes this.
  19. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Good Morning, the 6th of 9!

Oh desert sunrise how I missed you!

[​IMG]

Crisp, cool, and 6 miles to next gas station! :ricky

But before anything can happen, the master link has been giving me issues... well... not just it... but I thought it was the issue...so. It gets changed. Honestly, I just wanted to use my new chain breaker/press tool! :jack

[​IMG]

The trick worked, I think... the silly cyclic grind noise is gone now... but trouble (or that Russian Arctic Fox "Pisetz") suddenly as he always does), appeared out of nowhere!

[​IMG]

Uh Oh... no worries, i got that totem-tube ready for a patchy trial after a "snakebite"! :dunno

[​IMG]

And this was exactly 8 miles later.... does that remind you of anything @Burro driver ? :photog

At least now I have same prop-the-bike tool too!

If that doesn't this will :jack

[​IMG]

The gutted fish desert trick once more... im out of tubes now. only have one HD front left. Questionable chain, and curling front sprocket... I know I know... totally not like me and my desert ride preps... this was the most rushed, mentally challenged, retarded, dumb ride departure I've ever had :hair

The Devil said, SEND IT! The Angel said "limp to Bend, and have a beer! (or wine), and it is not really a DNF but a Pit Stop" The said "angel" has been sent a screenshot... so... :augie

Damn you COVID... another dead watering hole along the way...

[​IMG]

Smoky smoky Bend... but the beer was oh so good! No Monks there indeed! :drink

[​IMG]

Next morning was surprisingly in the clear... no, I am not talking about my hangover either :smile6
    AJxr, liv2day, chudzikb and 4 others like this.
  20. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    3 flats in 30 miles like in Chihuahua?
    waylongway and flying.moto like this.