Third time's the charm! I guess I'll social distance too!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flying.moto, Aug 24, 2020.

1. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    7 of 9.

I'm trying to remember a similar named song by... AFI? Nope... missed it by a month! It's called 6 to 8!

But! This is about some more moto p0rn, right?

But before that... smoke or not, Bend was kind to me the night before. Silly strong Belgian beers and all.

[​IMG]

Briefly intersected with a trio from Mexico.... Tres Amigos? who fly and ride The States... with Mexican license plates! Love it!

Then suddenly... can I take off my gas mask now?

[​IMG]

Good weather and all, it was time to find more tubes. So i went to the place that was nearby, big place, they're supposedly "Pro" and of large "Caliber"... but I was met with the somewhat known "big store attitude" where everything is a problem, and I am asking for too much unless I want to sign some 100 pages of credit obligations for a new motorbike.... nothing in stock but world could be ordered right now, just with a signature...and that everything is on a backorder... Since I was there I did buy something small... Maxima Chain Wax. I do Not recommend it... worthless chainlube I've ever tried.... no fault of the store thought, I chose it on my own :loco

Then, the gem of the place opens at 1000 hours!

[​IMG]

I said, SEND IT! New tubes, and even a tire! Brandon over there couldn't open fast enough to help me out! What an awesome little shop. Everything in stock and no mythical "3 week long backorder":happay

[​IMG]

Braap-tastic! Don't hold it against the tech there... that the tire is backwards... even I did not know that my White Crow has the drive on the "wrong" side! :fpalm

Strange, huh? But I am really diggin this Tractinator! May be my new groove... watch out D606! :ricky

200 mile detour put me back to the "Pit Stop Point" of Riley, OR! Yeah, that flat tire gas station 6 miles away from the cow pasture campsite! :lol3

The do have cool stuff in the back yard though.

[​IMG]

I kinda want one of these... make a camper+toyhauler out of it... that would be sooooooo F'in RAD!

Gassed up and fueled, on with the main course! Enough appetizers, right?! :photog

[​IMG]

wait what? I saw this in the distance from the camp 2 nights ago but... never thought I'd ride to it.... thought it would be some private property kinda thing... surprise surprise!

[​IMG]

What is it!?

[​IMG]

Wow...

[​IMG]

Then... wow again once you learn what the dude on the back of the trailer does... how now brown cow....

Suddenly..

A

Local

Appears!

[​IMG]

He preferred a little more older stuff...

New now mixed with old though... quite nicely!

[​IMG]

The old door lock worked as it had for probably past decade!

[​IMG]

I found a modern electric pump there, a meter, some wiring and a huuuuge pack rat nest. I have no photo, but it was massive. Then... the old times were reveieled.

[​IMG]

Times long gone but still here for those who wander~

Wander I shall!

[​IMG]

Many many gates, in the Great Empty! @liv2day

[​IMG]

I'm trying this drone thing now...

[​IMG]

The Empty is really Big!

[​IMG]

and demanding! :ricky

[​IMG]

I'm kidding, that was the easy section, but, double pinch flats are in your mind right now, never forget !

[​IMG]

Yet the one thought is always with you. Someone once ago when I rode my first long haul... to Kenai, from California... he said that I was on the "right track"...

I'm on the trail I enhjoy, and that's all that matters!

[​IMG]

sun was getting lower... time to camp was looming and ....of course i braaaaaped into the sunset with a thought "yeah, whatever, I'll get it right
    "

The star was rising!

[​IMG]

Ninja Star!?

Eeeeh, I'm packing a spare... up the hill I go... more silly chain wax to keep that old DID happy-er...more then...chain wax...more... eeeh....

[​IMG]

This is where I went.

Sun Stones?! I suddenly had flashbacks of one of my most favorite Sci-Fi shows, where.. i gotta rewatch it! I think it was a Moon-stone there... yet, this is pretty cool to recall that memory! :pynd

[​IMG]

After 18 miles of rock-garden, I found a nice area to toss down a tent... 18 miles I could have bypassed. Training, I say! :lol3

[​IMG]

The night before was rather chilly...

[​IMG]

This was in the morning. after sunrise, in the town below... way below... it was rather nippy in the tent! :vardy

See ya'll for the next day soon! :thumb
    AJxr, liv2day, waylongway and 8 others like this.
  2. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Down to the 8-mile run for one of them! I was seriously flashbacking! :lol3
    Burro driver likes this.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Effin' gates and f*ckin flats...all part of it :lol2 :lol2

Did you really rip the entire valve stem out of the tube with one of those flats? Or did that happen when you were pulling the tube out of the tire? Either way...impressive...lol.

Frickin' cold night outside of Xmas Valley man.

Damn...I miss the desert.

Let us know how you like the new knob after beating on it all the way home. Longevity? Traction in the rocky $hit? Traction in the silty $hit?

Great updates @flying.moto, surprised you didn't have to take an extra day in Bend after the Belgians walloped you :lol3 :lol3. And yeah - not a fan of the hosers at small caliber :D
    flying.moto likes this.
  4. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Haha! flats... second long ride in a while and both times I get plethora of flats! Can you believe, I haven't gotten any flats on _all_ my Death Valley rides so far?! well... one, but it happened when i finally got out on 395 and booked a good 20 miles on it back to LA.... that's when the flight suit wearing German dude on a Vespa was really making fun of me taking 45 minutes to change a tube when he could do it in 8 on the Vespa :photog

[​IMG]

Damn that was long ago! :rofl

The stem was cut out as a part of "gutting the fish" method... but I have ripped those off before, on the front only so far... now all my wheels have rimlocks :pynd:ricky

So far I'm very impressed with the Tractinator. No problems in the rocks, and even on hard hits where I was dreading another pinch flat... although I had packed many spare tubes this time... no problem in sand, much better than I expected, as good as D606 i'd say, on this silt though, it howls! tracks but howls! On pavement I thought it was a little more soft and while hooked up really well, it did have a little (later)predictable flex and high lean angles, that at slow-ing speeds tends to really tighten up the cornering to the point of that feeling you get when the ends are about to swap. Yet it doesn't do that and stays hooked up well. Front was all scrubbed but the Tractinator still had tiny chicken strips left. :lol3

Can't say longevity yet, but even mounted backwards it's not showing too much wear after nearly 800 miles of pavement so far.

I'm happy with it even though it may have been the culprit that took out my chain guard! :patch
    Amphib and Ginger Beard like this.
  5. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    The next morning revealed a lot more rock garden action with a promise of a little more Big Empty.

[​IMG]

While it started out nice and easy, I was starting to wonder if I'll have to grind the rocks all the way to the border... as every time they cleared up a little and I was hitting second and third gear, was followed by a sudden stoppage back to first. The first gear though, for this terrain was damn near perfect with a brand new 16T front sprocket I installed the night before! Wrenching on the bike with a small flashlight well into the night made me feel like a privateer Dakar racer! :imaposer

[​IMG]

Then, after crossing Hwy 31, it seems the gravel Gods heard my almost-whining and gifted me not only these beautiful sights...

[​IMG]

But also bliss high speed wide sweeping gravel roads that made me blow past the planned turns over and over :ricky:photog:rofl

One of such turns I decided to backtrack on and explore ended up on this nice rim!

[​IMG]

And a short track that led to the much needed outhouse :flush

[​IMG]

Then, after I have reached "an enlightened" state of... at least physical weight, I followed the dead end track to this awesome little place!

[​IMG]

Superior location, two bbq grills, a fire pit, firewood shed (probably stocked), a fancy outhouse (first one of the ride that actually had TP in it!) and a really bitchin cabin with propane, water and... awesome deck! Not to mention the history!

[​IMG]

I mean, is this a potential heaven after a long ride if you know it's there?!

[​IMG]

Little research made me smile madly... unlike a lot of other forest service "shelters" that are "off limits" to "shelter" in....

[​IMG]

Whatddya know! Now I do! :super

See?

I'm still taking photos of it! :happay

[​IMG]

And still taking photos...

[​IMG]

Getting bored of them yet? :lol3

[​IMG]

Ok ok... lets rip it down the trail... or up it... smoke alarm going off this time....

[​IMG]

Few small logs to hop over but nothing too difficult. So far so good! :ricky

And it only is getting better! Potential vista point in another 8 miles ahead!

[​IMG]

Then suddenly....

[​IMG]

Forget the road, where did the whole intersection that supposed to be here have gone? :confused

I have hiked a little here and there... found both forks hopelessly blocked by lots of burned tree trunks... big ones... I could have gotten across it all more or less efficiently... if I was on my 426... no luggage... and taken 3 days doing it... dang... backtrack it was.

[​IMG]

Then, a sign for "Deadhorse".... have I missed a turn and ended up in Alaska? :fpalm

But no... although it was a lake with a cool local just enjoying a bit less smoke all the way up there... catching some epic dinner!

[​IMG]

After beating it down some 40 miles or so, mostly on tiny paved road, I came to the fork where the burnt track would have dropped me. I chalked it up to the most efficient detour to date! :lol3

[​IMG]

A thought crossed my mind to send my flying spying eye out there but... TFR was already up... no bueno... ground shots only to stay more or less legal

[​IMG]

Around a few corners I looked back :hair

[​IMG]

and then this.... exploded right in front of my eyes... wild...

[​IMG]

At least the wind was in my face and rest of the track would be smokeless and very much bliss. :ricky

[​IMG]

Right here there were plenty of high speed options or really zig-zaggy tackier options. I took the gravel highway to make up a little time to Lakeview.

[​IMG]

The deadline pushing, some little rerouting, I jumped on 395 at Lakeview and 299 to Red Bluff for the night. This was the last stop on 299 before the descent into the nuclear winter....

[​IMG]

Hey! Is that a bridge down there?!?! :hmmmmm

A really cool bridge awaits in the next installment! :norton hang on for tomorrow!
    AJxr, NSFW, chudzikb and 5 others like this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-9-16_7-23-54.png

Okay, that was way too short a post for everything that's going on in this photo! :lol3
    flying.moto and Amphib like this.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Fack @flying.moto, were you heading south from Fremont Point when you ran into the fire remnants? I haven't checked recently with all the other crap going on on my side of the Cascades - looks like that fire had burned recently with the road closed sign?

Had gone back over there the 2nd weekend of August for a little R&R (sans bikes) and made the trek up to Fremont Point; seriously cool overlook of the Summer Lake basin. And that cabin is frickin' sweet! I looked into renting it over a weekend and it's basically booked solid through the end of the year (on the weekends). Bummed as I know my boys would love it, might still try to get back over there before the snow starts flying and makes the cabin inaccessible.

Hope you don't mind me posting a couple shots - really love the drone shots you posted, such a great perspective.

170944703.4N9xvJOG.DSC02043.jpg

fremont-point1.jpg
    NSFW and flying.moto like this.
  8. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    @liv2day that fire was well into its main stage then, it was moving south past Paisley. That exact time is what the red circle on the aviation sectional chart i posted represents. Almost all of the “straight” portion of that mountain is fire free, and it started only on the south end. The fire was actively burning just past that sign by no more than 5 miles... I’m amazed but not surprised that this cabin is so popular over the weekends... drone videos are coming up once i sort them!

oh there is a whole RR about that DV ride :deal
    liv2day and Ginger Beard like this.
  9. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Awesome!! Looks like I have some reading to do! :freaky
    flying.moto likes this.
  10. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    That one was a really fun ride! Then, holed up in a hotel on a work trip, I log into the Asylum, find another @NSFW thread from the past and completely forgot what I wanted to do here before work took over :lol3

The next batch of photos should be uploaded now... standby for more! :deal

@liv2day damn those panos look amazing on the big screen! I only saw them on the phone until right now.... say... do mine look half that good? :rofl
  11. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    9 of 9!

This morning was a bit slow, not late, just slow. Coffee, more coffee... hanging out at the airport a bit... breakfast...

[​IMG]

When we were leaving my Crew Chief's house... the lake there was full of ash... I think a winter is coming to this area special kind of winter... it really interesting how thick smoke in the air lowers temperatures for which this Redding area was becoming famous for lately... :norton

On the way out, Gary suggested I take Hwy 36 to the coast. No photos. I had to book it home to see parents... silly me thought I could make it. Late start and silly desire to ride the coast... and a chain that I over-optimistically still thought would make it... :loco and then I remembered just how much fun pavement riding can be! :ricky Then suddenly... on the left side... wait a minute... can I sneak onto that?!

[​IMG]

Hell yeah! Somebody left the gate open! :ricky

[​IMG]

The pass code is "420" :augie

[​IMG]

There, you can see the new bridge. Surprisingly, riding out in the same direction after crossing the old one around a few stumps, a piece of guard rail, through some bushes ad past the "blockade boulders" it'll pop you out on the 36 again! Score! Why photos? I'll leave this one for your imagination. Forgot to hit "rec" on the gopro yet again. :bluduh

Headed down the PCH, the chain was complaining again... I guess I will get the answer to my question, just how far can I push a worn out chain :rofl adjusting it every day now.

[​IMG]

Made it to Avenue of the Giants! These trees are truly amazing and sooooooo greeeeeeen! There is even a tree you can ride through, or even drive a small car. I've done it a while back so.... skipped it, also to make the last hour of the closest moto store on the way... still good 100 miles down the PCH :jack

[​IMG]

But I could not not stop and admire these trees! I am happy their wood was not that useful as a building material and was spared more than once in the past...

[​IMG]

When the road finally gets on the coastline...

[​IMG]

I'm... quite sure I was here before...

wait a second.... 4 years ago?!

[​IMG]

But that's another good story! :ricky

Slowly and carefully, I stretched (every bit of a pun intended) the chain all the way to Fort Bragg. Made it with an hour to spare and grabbed one of the two last chains in stock! If you are ever in the area, need a little or a lot of moto help, look these guys up! They are small family owned and run shop up to the ears in work, and some times now have to turn it down, but super friendly and amazing. They even let me use the shop and tools to swap out the chain!

[​IMG]

Now, I am unstoppable! All the prep I should have done before the ride has been accomplished.... on day last -1 :photog

Cruising around town after 45 minutes of work, and 1.25 hours of bs session, I had no luck even finding a campground! What gives! The silly-holly-day is long done, wtf, humans, go to work! :rofl

on the fourth lap around the North Coast Brewery, two smiling faces waved me down and offered a corner of their campsite! Score! :drink:beer:freaky:happay

[​IMG]

The two guys were galloping around the west, seemingly at the same rate as I, Starting their adventure in central Colorado, and making their way back! Many beers were drank, many stories swapped and plans made!

On the concern of "mokre palivove drevo, kurva!" i replied "benzin!" :lol3 yeah, were were "neighbors" long ago! :clap

Party continues!

[​IMG]

Super memories and friends made, it was time to braaaap along! :ricky:ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

Good bye campground, you have been awesome!

[​IMG]

The "Trip II" mileage was approaching 245 mile mark... the light has had to come on any time now... luckily map said there is a gas station 2 miles down the road... lets go!

[​IMG]

Wait what?! :eek2 I know im in commiefornia now... i know im on the coast.... i know im probably in the place where most charge premium for everything because of proximity to a tourist trap area... but this particular gas station seems to have giving a black eye to this cute little town of Mendocino for past 7 years at least! Just read the g-reviews... i wonder if Chevron knows, or even cares... I was so disgusted by their obvious lack of morals, $6.73/Gal, where only two days ago I paid less than $3 in Oregon... or around $3.60 in northern CA.... that I checked what exactly I had left in the tanks... Rear - empty. Front - surprisingly full! :scratch I think The White Crow was so disgusted too and magically showed me 70+mpg instead of usual 54ish! or maybe i just forgot to reset the trip meter on the last fillup :jack

Regardless, happily placed the cap back on and BRAAAAP out of there! :ricky

Next stop! Rollerville Cafe! Come around the back, more parking and cool wooden statue!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coffee'd up and ready to braap ahead! Luckily this area was not too smokey and it is mostly fog. YESS. Chilly... but... yess! :ricky

Strangely, still enjoying pavement tremendously. Maybe I'm finally ready to ride the world? :pynd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traffic was surprisingly kind and light, finally caught up with the timeline to get to work on time...

SF did greet me with a bit of a smoky afternoon though...

[​IMG]

A short pit stop on Treasure Island to meet a new old friend, get some wine for parents and play with local dogs... and off to make it just in time for family BBQ!

[​IMG]

The evening and everything in between ended up turning out blissful. About halfway to parent's house, I realized I forgot to give my spare tube collection to the gal I met in TI! Doh! She will need those more riding TAT soon than I will just paving it down 101...

The next morning I rode out back to SF, learned later that she had a medical emergency and will not be around to meet me that day... so I left the goodies at the doorstep where she would be back, ran out of time and had to hit the road.

[​IMG]

Then... how the hell it got to be a lunch time again so fast?! So, I re-visited one of my old time favorites to happily see they're still open.

[​IMG]

Rest was just bombing down 101... quickly... trying not to ride too much at night close to LA...

[​IMG]

Mission Complete!

Reflections next! :happay
    AJxr, MrKiwi, Burro driver and 5 others like this.
  12. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    big congratulation f.m.

glad you did the more adventurous exploration than mine, since i don't have the confidence of doing especially on a big bike. you did all the work for me including bringing home awesome pictures and you're commentaries are right on.

hope to see you here in the local forest sometime soon or a pavement ride since the wolf is now already accustomed to it.
    flying.moto likes this.
  13. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done sir!
    flying.moto likes this.
  14. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the best top 10 RR ever!
    NSFW and flying.moto like this.
  15. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Definitely, Joel! Lets ride! :ricky:ricky First I gotta put my bike back together though :photog

[​IMG]

A few thorough cleanings, few things need to be replaced, few things serviced, greased and one pesky electromechanical issue resolved.... then we are on!

Thank you! :clap

Whoa! Now don't let that one get to my head :lift:super Thank you!
    BrockEvan likes this.
  16. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Reflections?

[​IMG]

It's kind of a reflection!

First time doing a marathon/rally style ride... it was an interesting experience indeed. Never done it yet, but reading @Colebatch 's RRs about crossing whole of Russia in one short riding season was one of the main reasons for me to try the faster pace and full riding days! Lots learned! It was indeed about 4850 miles in 18 days. few days were short, few were fast, but both of those kinds were pavement commutes so that should kind of equalize and not affect the dirty average of 270 miles/day. Covid made city and large town explorations rather... sad. Lots of businesses closed. Not much "life" was felt in the few I ended up at... only kind of Zombie Apocalypse smells... Bend, OR was an exception! The little area I rushed through was very much alive and friendly. That was part of the reason to rally this vacation away, and hope for better luck in the small countryside, which was a big success! :super small northern towns that are somewhat surviving are still mostly "normal" aside some hand sanitizer and masks... California reminded me yet again of Public lands becoming less and less public when they are facing cities and more or less easy access. Reminded me of the state's love for political money and hate for common motorized forest user... Northern California quickly returned my brapping smile and the White Crow where they belong thought! Lots and lots and lots of off-pavement riding opportunities, but those parts of the state are far from the metros... so kinda confirms my theory.

[​IMG]
    Oregonians and especially West/Cascade Oregonians are all a helluva more outdoorsy than Californians! :photog or so it seemed at least in the woods I would always run into someone camping, someone to wave to even in the more remote and gnarly spots! Eastern Oregon and the Big Empty were a bit more.... empty, and it was much easier to get away from everyone and enjoy the wildlife, stars and quiet :ricky

Do you remember that huge ambitious plan I had? According to the BaseCamp, when I total _all_ the tracks, including what I called "Out of time bypasses" and the track does make a complete circle, so basically no commute miles, it said total distance is 8697 miles. Divide that 8700 into 270 and we get 33 days. That's technically 15 more days needed than I had ridden, and the chunk I was hoping to be added to my vacation (which may still partially come in October!) was almost 4 extra weeks, or 25 days give or take! So, was the mad plan overambitious? It's definitely of the possible kind, and with a healthy margin for delays and errors! :pynd

But this is what I ended up with, short of the pavement tracks, as I forgot my "road mode" doesn't automatically track... just loosely connect the end of the track, to the green dot on the coast, then follow the coast down to La-La Land... and you get the picture :rofl

[​IMG]

Lessons from the road? or offroad? New tubes are not very patchable! That's twice I tried to patch a Michelin UHD tube with two different brands of fresh patches, one even being pressed overnight... either i'm screwing it up or the rumor of modern tubes not being made of regular/natural rubber to be the cause are true. The "gutted fish" method taught to be by @Burro driver is "safe" for well over 65 mph as of right now :lol3 and I seriously thought it could take me farther than I took it. I pit stopped mainly because I only had one good front tube left that would likely not work as easy in the back wheel being a HD. Then got really googly-eyed over that brand new Tractinator tire on the shelf... so, i did not get to bald-out the D606 yet again!

I learned to detect driveline wear by sound accurately (mainly caused by leaving with almost no extra prep)! Front sprocket and chain weared a lot faster than rear sprocket. I used Superlite brand sprockets and DID chain. When the front 15 was starting to curl a little, i put in my spare 16 in there. Enjoyed much better rock garden friendly first gear (it is a granny gear on the Xch) and that gave me another 1000 safe miles on a worn out chain before that got a bit too questionable and required daily adjustments not to slap around too much. What was really surprising, if my records are correct... That back sprocket has well over 20k miles on it... comparing it to brand new one is showing so little difference that I am tempted to run it longer and see how it goes... Very tempted. All purely in the name of science. :hmmmmm I have to look up again some notes describing chain drive component wear vs ratio of sprockets and chain length... i remember vaguely reading that and seeing some desirable and undesirable combinations.... Changing from 15/47 to 16/47 did seem to make the engine like 70 mph roads more, but fuel economy dropped by 5mpg vs going a little slower with 15/47. interesting. The MSR chain press/breaker tool is da bomb! Heavy. But, for when I cross Mongolia and maybe even Siberia... i must have chain repair tools... It was fun practicing with it!

Many of us like D606 in the rear. I really enjoy it too. I bet i can get 4.5k miles out of one. i got 3k out of it and still had good 1/2" knobs left in the middle. Front D606 tried for the first time, aired down hooked up amazingly on lose gravel roads, did great in sand and deeper crap, rode almost like TKC80 on the pavement. With a little more pavement miles than I hoped for, i got 2600 miles out of it before it was nearly bald. possibly could have gotten 2700 but that's it. Swapped it for TKC80 in Walla Walla, WA. The Tractinator, mistakenly mounted backwards, (did you guys know that apparently most bikes have drive-chain on the left side? I did not, nor did the shop that Xch has it on the right :lol3) has seen 300 dirt miles and around 1000 pavement miles so far. I am amazed at how little wear it has. Side knobs seem to be softer than D606 and maybe that is what makes the rear come around tight on pavement at slower speeds and high lean angles. It gives you that feeling that it's about to spin the ass around you at that moment but it never let lose on me. Jury is still out of it but seeing how well it did in deep silt and sand, that I avoided pinching a tube in the rocks, and how nicely it wears on the slab, I might just have found a new favorite for the back wheel!

Camping... I really want to try a hammock for the next ride! But... next ride is likely to go to the desert! whaaat! I can imagine myself tying it between two saguaros, and having them both collapse on me at night :loco

I did not cook anything on this ride. it was true sunrise-pack-braap-sunset-camp whole time. I will probably play with that on the much more relaxed pace ride... I carried my stove and utensils though. Busted out the spork at the hotel in Yakima, where nothing was provided to eat my TV dinner... covid i guess..

Fast pace does not allow one to explore and even find history. That part kinda sucks. It made for less stops, less detours... but emphasized that I should use the gopro more. I am at fault for not really using it enough. I had a little fun with the drone though. Both the videos and drone footage will be posted later as I sort it but long story short, there should be a little balance between rally-raiding and poking around... definitely a strategy for when I could leave without a set date to go back to work at :norton

But before work, a little more T6 fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Here is the second half... it seems i goofed something up after all :rofl

Attached Files:

MrKiwi, waylongway and Amphib like this.
  18. Proud Highway

Proud Highway one hand waving free

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report.

Really dig the Xch. I let mine go--if I could've got it set up like yours I would've kept it.
    Very cool.
    flying.moto likes this.
  19. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I seriously appreciate the post ride reflections, what worked, what didn't, what you would have done different. And for that, I thank you!
    svo_jon, flying.moto and liv2day like this.
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Freaking fantastic @flying.moto - way to wrap it up and I really enjoyed the post-ride reflections. Quite the scenery change coming out of the desert and heading to the CA coast; super cool you were able to hit the redwoods and found a couple of like-minded yahoos to share a campsite with.

Great ride and report man, hope you're able to make the longer adventure happen - though October is pushing it for decent riding up here. Especially in the SE section and NV - you do not want to get caught in that hellacious mud. That said, if you make it this way again and need anything, my place is open.

An average of 270 miles/day is a solid chunk and too much for me if it's mostly off-road. I try to plan stuff at 150 or less, but I spend a shit ton of time stopping for pictures and probably way too much screwing around with the stupid drone. It's always a balance - want to see new stuff, but also stop and smell the roses as it were :lol2

Thanks for taking the time to craft it man, look forward to the videos when you've had a chance to get them sorted.

Ride (and fly) safe :-)
    waylongway, flying.moto and chudzikb like this.