1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Third time's the charm! I guess I'll social distance too!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flying.moto, Aug 24, 2020.

1. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tracks partner....! :deal Still need to do that Mt Ashland short cut.....:nod Once again YOU the man....:gdog
    flying.moto likes this.
  2. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    awesome ride! just read the whole thing start to finish. you visited some really cool places that i had to make a note of in case i make my way out west in the near future. thanks for making me want a drone! :lol3
    flying.moto likes this.
  3. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you thank you :bow:super yeah, most of the 250 mile days were all off pavement. Not hard when you ride sunrise to sunset but I hear ya. At that pace, not much gets explored other that’s immediately next to the track... I was thinking of going to Death Valley and NV, maybe UT. or... truck it to CO for fall colors but I’ll be on another crunched schedule it seems. I’ll plan for a lot slower pace then though.

Hah! And that’s sooooo close to you :evil:ricky

It sure was epic in many ways :super
    Ginger Beard and AJxr like this.
  4. svo_jon

svo_jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just caught up on this report now that its done..... i live in bend and work across the street from the motoshop. Glad Brandon was able to get you going so quickly. GREAT shop!!!

Super rad report!!! Thanks for sharing.

Jonathan
    flying.moto likes this.
  5. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sir you put much effort into this RR. Very well done and one of the best,period. I to mostly ride alone. Of course before I retired my work riding was also alone so suppose I just got used to that. Thanks for the effort. Petepilot
    flying.moto likes this.
  6. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind wave! Hell yeah, i sheepishly mentioned to Brandon if he'd open an hour earlier I'd be on his doorstep first :clap but then I knew exactly by the look in his eye, that he does a lot more there than just runs the place. It's tough to run a small business, i would know. Still, I love what he does and especially how he does it. Can you believe it, he even had a 16T (that I wanted to try for a while now) sprocket for my Crow! In stock! Whaddaya know! :bow

It was unusual effort indeed! First try of doing one on the fly. And I stupidly pick the ride I choose to marathon like a rally... It worked, as many many enjoyed it so far :smile6 thank you! I'd love to have someone ride along with on this one, but, my pace on this particular ride... the few stops i had to make, and no rest days eliminate all but one inmate I rode with to date. You know who you are! :beer but for me, solo riding is mostly a result of spontaneous departure, lack of planning and flexibility....
    waylongway likes this.
  7. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    :pyndSo!

Some of you already know.. i’m currently wondering just how cold tonight will be :lol3

as i thought, when i got back from Oregon “rally” my work has captured me for a while. besides that, some fun plays were played.

[​IMG]

and the bike was washed and prepped as well!

[​IMG]

so!? where this leads? remember, the original idea was to start with Colorado? I was supposed to have a few more weeks off?

Braaaaaaap! :ricky

[​IMG]

wait what?! that poor thing doesn’t move much anymore... but! @Burro driver is kindly showing me his back yard! :happay

[​IMG]

the crew is on the prowl. against the sun but still this photo is better!

[​IMG]

This area so reminds me of AZ. Then suddenly, corner of my eye, Bridge!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there’s this strange attraction of mine to old RR bridges... could it be the smell?

then, the trail beckoned~

[​IMG]

and i got a little more excited about finding fall colors after all!

[​IMG]

History’s mysteries included!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then, more color finally showed itself!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i’m a little late but, at least im out there! :ricky

this is just a day one! hold on!

:pynd
  8. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Dude, absolutely awesome ride report! I've missed my window for a trip this year and I'm living vicariously through the ride tales told by other inmates. Yours has not disappointed in its ability to transport me far away from the mondane.

Many thanks for putting it together and sharing it with us.

Regards,

Dave
    flying.moto and Amphib like this.
  9. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    :bowDave! Thank you very much for the kind words! there is a lot more to come! Inmates like you give me so much energy it’s amazing!

day three turned yellows to oranges~

[​IMG]

High speed tracks yearned for sudden stops... who can resist scoping these awesome fences...

[​IMG]

Only those who blast by! :lol3

but i can’t stop stopping....

its a curse and a blessing~

but regardless all that blabbing.. fall is here. late or not~

[​IMG]

i hope you are enjoying it as much as i do. because the city i'm stuck in has no seasons...

[​IMG]
  10. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    the trail called!

[​IMG]

and landed me ag an airport.. i’ve been here.. time or two. can you name it? have you been there?

[​IMG]

Ive descended toward the runway via Last Dollar Pass... hope is a foolish thought yet i still hope... Next photo... is a pun from long ago. Can you tell I ride?

[​IMG]

Strangely enough i picked the next road by the name...

[​IMG]

do you know it?!

[​IMG]

there’s even a tunnel in it!

[​IMG]

kinda tunnel. tunnels will be the bane of today

all that aside... mountains called

[​IMG]

was i here before? o.o

[​IMG]

oh the mountains... as one wise Soviet composer said... the only thing better than mountains are mountains

[​IMG]

maybe lakes~

[​IMG]

yet i had more sunlight ~

[​IMG]

fall colors in a canyon! wow!

Hello Ouray!

[​IMG]

i thought i’d visit you but i left Eastbound

Up the rocky road i go~

[​IMG]

toward the set track nemesis

[​IMG]

Can you name the pass yet?

[​IMG]

maybe a hint!

[​IMG]

but then it wasn’t raining this time.

[​IMG]

then came the rocks! scary best more tomorrow ~

much more to come!
  11. TravisR100

TravisR100 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTEX Airport.
    flying.moto and MrKiwi like this.
  12. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    you know it! but, that aint the name of the pass! :jack

keep an eye for it in the next installment!
    eaglescan likes this.
  13. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    first off, so much for trying to make it a live RR! camping in the freeze, staying in a teepee for the first time ever, and spending a night chatting away about skydiving with wingsuits while the bartender poured free tequila shots one after another.... yeah...

now, 22:53 local. bumming a floor space in a non-reception area... but at least i got wifi! so on with the show! less yapping more photos!

From the previous set... the rocky road suddenly takes a turn! Don’t mind the dropoff :augie

[​IMG]

A world traveler friend of mine said: how do you even ride there?! it doesn’t even look walkable!

:lol3

[​IMG]

those who have done it know :ricky

at least this time it wasn’t raining.

[​IMG]

trying to capture it a bit differently, watch the edge!

[​IMG]

This pass is something else! Even though there are two more places to see the town and KTEX from... this one is the best!

[​IMG]

The next photo is a throwback to previous visit... although then there were two Xchallenges...

[​IMG]

I was really wondering why i took the next photo... it’ll make sense in a few hours..

[​IMG]

Meanwhile more fun riding! :ricky

[​IMG]

Multiple switchbacks later i stumble on a Sheriff’s rescue operations...

they are looking for a lost dog somewhere in the mountain and almost gotten to him.

I wish them luck, try to set off, thinking about the poor pooch, misstep and tip over :muutt sorry, no photos, as one of the rescuers runs ip and helps me pick up the bike :lol3

A few switchbacks later i find three young guys standing around, one of which is relieved to hear that i think i heard a dog barking.

I wish them luck and press on to find another piece of the puzzle close to the bottom.

[​IMG]

only two days before that was a Jeep.

Black Bear Pass is no joke. Be careful on it!

more happier stories up next! Stay tuned :deal
  14. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you serious the Sheriff's Office was up there looking for a lost "dog"??? WOW!
    flying.moto likes this.
  15. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they trailered a Polaris(i think) 4 place side-by-side, rock climbing gear up there, there was another 4 people in addition to the Sheriff, possibly a deputy but still... total respect! you know, a lot of times especially in my locale, the more people i meet thd more i like dogs. :lol3

But, the next day proves again that im too soon to hang it up on the humans. the morning came fast. faster than the night of tacos and beer.

[​IMG]

regardless of previous night’s achievements, one does not visit Colorado without attempting the Ophir pass!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it’s a staple. How good? This good!

[​IMG]

where the alpine beauty is endless!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little detour was completely unplanned but, the trusty gps said it’s a loop. how bad can it be?!

[​IMG]

it wasn’t. bliss riding far from even a suggestion there was a freeway near~

little bridge though...

[​IMG]

and up again...over the rust and far away~

[​IMG]

Im pretty sure this is the “Red Mountain” that i’ve read about below...
    NSFW, staticPort, chudzikb and 3 others like this.
  16. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You where posting late last night or was it early am? Beautiful photos. Well done. Petepilot
  17. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Late night! :eek7

But, now not so late and not so night... just hot day!

Back to the trail! It was called Corkscrew Gulch Trail, now turning East and climbing up towards all the red mountains!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then suddenly! I thought I would see more bikes on the trails but... these two were one of the very very few... :hmmmmm

[​IMG]

Climbing up the mountain I found a strange little-used turn-off with a little pond on top... I took a note of it, and really just wanted to see the pond.... looking at it now, it went to a gated old mining operation. I guess I could have explored it a little further... but then... would have found a gate :dunno

[​IMG]

It's Colorado. There are plenty of mining remnants everywhere you ride~

[​IMG]

A little while later I have caught up with the two riders all the way on the top of Hurricane Pass.

[​IMG]

Seems like I've been here before... but.. it is still very awesome revisiting! Weather was absolutely perfect! :ricky

[​IMG]

I love it when I get up over a high mountain pass, and there is a lake on the other side! :smile6 Makes me wonder if there is any kind of fish in there...

[​IMG]

Still windy... while trying not to fall over, a Jeep explorer volunteered to play photographer :super

[​IMG]

Saying thanks and wishing luck and no flats, we parted in different directions~

[​IMG]

I was headed toward Animas Forks. There was a photo to be recreated there....

[​IMG]

I'm thinking, it is pretty safe to leave your truck here. nobody will carjack it :rofl This one is still here! Around the corner... goal is in sight!

[​IMG]

Tiny bit of mining history follows the course...

[​IMG]

My turn was due North now, to reconnect the Alpine loop with the intended guess-route :photog

[​IMG]

Then, after a brief search... the actual place was found... but the sign was gone.

[​IMG]

What I expected was...

[​IMG]

Oh well... at least I found the place. There was even a tube in the ground where the pole would go in... I wonder if it gets removed at some point for winter or someone jacked it. Like mr. Avalanche :rofl

Then, without any much more delay, I meandered over the hill and far away~

[​IMG]

Where it all started to look very familiar~

[​IMG]

But, I can't be taking photos of too many of same angles, right? Or, "Where does that trail go?!"

[​IMG]

Nowhere in particular...

[​IMG]

But... it sure did good climbing me a little higher than Engineer Pass!

[​IMG]

If you try to recreate this photo, be ready for rocks :lol3

[​IMG]

This is where the turn it... don't miss it! :ricky

[​IMG]

I thought it may have gone through but... I had to backtrack a little...

[​IMG]

But, fear not! More bliss ahead! :smile6
    Ginger Beard, NSFW, MrKiwi and 3 others like this.
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome pictures....i never saw that many vibrant landscapes.

impressive!
    flying.moto likes this.
  19. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Joel! More is yet to come!

I am trying to make a video of the Engineer Pass peak... or so i called it, I shall edit this post later to add some sound... im total newbie at videos but.... I can't wait to share more shots with you all!

And then for those who want to see some carnage.... not my video though.
  20. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    A little past the snow sticks I finally found my dream house!

[​IMG]

I sent that photo to my Mother to which she replied "I think your hut about to fall over" :photog

Then, history's mysteries.... i still am yet to research why lime kilns were so hugely abundant... but here is one!

[​IMG]

But i could not care... really... i was hungry... i was holding out and craving for years... @chokozip knows exactly how this can be.... the best chicken fried steak ever!

[​IMG]

What?! closed.... for... what!? season-waht!? man.... even the door mat is hung out to dry! :baldy

Off I go i guess... to find one of the best hotels in the area...

[​IMG]

Bought a six pack, and a prefab Italian-wannabe sandwich at a gas station.... no chicken fried steak for me :eek7

More bliss tomorrow! :ricky:super