Third wheel now required

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Spanky McKanky, Oct 13, 2020.

1. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Surprisingly enough, that sounds exactly like how I felt the first time I rode a Spyder 10 years ago.
    Hoots likes this.
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get some Physical theraphy. I wrecked my back 50 years ago bit didnt get any PT until this last year.
    proved succesful this last trip, still pulled my back due to wrong movements but was able to get on the bike, KTM 390 adventure the same day.
    Previous long trips-last two to asia . It took 4-5 days at minimum with muscle relaxers before we were back on our FZ150 riding .
  3. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-10-31_10-24-33.jpeg Back to the OP topic. How about you Ural fans start your own!
    Saw something like this outside the coffee shop today. Nice. Said to my wife, that’s what I will buy one day, she said yes sure I’ll ride on it, just make sure there is still room in the garage for my car.
    upload_2020-10-31_10-24-33.jpeg
  4. Dave Ward

Dave Ward I don't even know where the box is.

Oddometer:

Why would she scribble on it?
    tomo8r, a2zworks and Wodger63 like this.
  5. Gazman

Gazman Zen equals camping

Oddometer:
    hey Glen. Did you pick up the new machine yet. We are at PGs for tea. Wanted to show him a pic

cheers gaz
  6. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Well she certainly ain't gonna ride on the back of it either. That's a single seat Ryker! :rofl
  7. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Siri you idiot.
  8. wdrally

wdrally binge rider

Oddometer:
    Nope, Spyder.

I rode a Ryker 600 / 900 Rally & Spyder on the one test ride day. The rykers were bloody twitchy, each wheel fighting for dominance as the admittedly ordinary asphalt road surface changed. I could have probably lived with the Spyder (it was the older triple) but only for an hour or so. On good roads they may all have been fine but not on crappier rural roads.
    Interesting I met a lady at the gym (rehab post-accident that finished my riding ability, sadly) who told me of her first pillion ride on her husband's new Spyder. She was ejected sideways on the first roundabout because she wasn't hanging on!

If it works for you, good on you - I'd rather the approximation to a motorcycle than nothing at all.
  9. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is not a Spyder thread - see quote from OP above - it's about ways to keep riding 2 up after injuries etc ...

Sidecars (Urals included) are a valid option ...

Although not sure I'm personally that keen on them after that little test ride ...
    Ducksbane and Cruz like this.
  10. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    There are some in WA and they do sit on 100 without veering all over the road if properly set up.

I ride this more than any other bike nowdays as the dog always wants to come and I am a sucker for the puppy dog eyes.

Great fun as they are engaging to ride!

8372702C-D3B6-4B40-B08F-79F556F0F228.jpeg
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Had a chat with an older rider on a Spyder who was stopped at the top of Brandenburg Rd Bald Knob this arvo, enjoying the view.
    76 years old and loving it.
    Hoots likes this.
  12. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    Hi Gaz, no I haven't picked it up yet.
    Dealer said its in the Sydney warehouse and coming via Aussie Post so it could be a while away yet :lol3
    No just kidding, I hope to get it in the next week or two and then I'll post some pics.
    Hope you, Kaz, PG and El are all doing well.
    Pob61, LOFTYBOB and Gazman like this.
  13. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    Hi Yokesman, I was provided with four years of ongoing physio through the TAC following the accident.
    Physio did help for a few days after each session but the relief lasted a short time only.
    My claim was terminated by the TAC at the end of last year so I guess it is what it is now.
    I plan to keep riding solos and the Spyder when two up, just hope things work out as I still want to ride regardless.
    Cruz likes this.
  14. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    Well the new Spyder finally arrived at P/S Ringwood last Friday.
    I took delivery and rode it for the very first time in Melbourne traffic. I hadn't ever ridden a Spyder before, not even on a test ride. So it was a huge leap of faith in buying one.
    Anyway once I got out of the traffic, onto Eastlink and headed for East Gippsland I quickly felt at ease.
    They're a different thing to ride, no question at all. I suppose its like riding a sidecar for the first time when you're used to riding solos.
    I like the semi auto transmission, however the brakes (foot brake only) didn't seem to have a lot of feel / stopping power initially but that could have been me.
    I thought I'd venture off the highway to bypass Traralgon and Sale by cutting down through Yallourn North, Tyers, Heyfield, Maffra etc.
    Probably not such a good idea as the roads surfaces are a bit ordinary in places and I was still getting the feel of it.
    It was a little unnerving as the Spyder's front suspension did its thing and I got used to how it steers. The wind was blowing a strong cross wind most of the way home just to add to the experience.
    I took my wife Jo for a short ride on the weekend and she loves the new pillion seat and back rest.
    We are both very happy with the Spyder and really looking forward to taking it to Tassie in January for several days.

Might get to see / meet some of you at the Dargo High Plains Rally in a few weeks, but I won't be there on the Spyder. Check out the ground clearance.......
    I might pull Rhonda the XLV Honda out of retirement for a special guest appearance.
    Hope to see you there, IMG_2098.JPG
    Cheers, Glenn (aka Spanky)
  15. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Yep. I and others have thought about a drive to the chair wheel.

The BMW single side arms can provide a chainless drive. Or you could go with a chain ...

Then motive power from either an electric motor or a hydraulic drive. Usually 3 or 4 people pushing can get a stuck side car going - figure about 1 horse power (750 watts). Yamaha had a hydraulic drive to the front wheel on one of their bikes, the hydraulic drive power was off the normal counter shaft so speed was directly related to the bike speed. With electric drive there is a max speed on the motor so you want to chose things carefully, the lower the speed the more grunt there will be at low speed but it will need to be disconnected at some speed (I'd go with a dog clutch).
  16. Pob61

Pob61 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice Glen
    If you rode it in to Dargo rally you could carry the beer & ice for us , lol
  17. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    Hi Phil,

I reckon I'd be grading the road as well given how low its sits at the front :lol3
    Pob61 likes this.
  18. Pob61

Pob61 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just saying the frunk would make for a good esky Glen
  19. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Spanks, what’s the go with servicing, you taking it back to the dealer or can you get a local shop to do it under warranty? I’m in Wodonga-ish and the local Can-Am dealer won’t touch Spyders, gave me a bollocking for asking and said he was sick of people coming in and wanting info. Nearest dealer is Shep., they’ve said no one else is BRP approved and if I buy one it’ll have to go back there. Not a biggie, but I do like local backup.
  20. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul,
    Yes good point about the servicing.
    We'll be in Tassie in January I was thinking of booking it into a Can Am dealer in either Hobart or Burnie to do the first oil and filter change.
    I'll have around 1000 - 1500 k's up by then and I'll get them to give it the once over.
    P/S said the first service isn't due until 5000 K's but its a bit too long for a new motor before first oil and filter change (in my opinion anyway).
    After that I guess it will be running it down to Melbourne from East Gippsland to get the servicing done.
    A three and a half hour ride down there and same back but no other options unfortunately.
    They're a high tech beast but once out of warranty I'll look after the oil / filter changes myself I think.
    Took it for a run to Omeo today with Jo on the back.
    The more I ride it the more I'm getting used to the way it feels and handles.
    Jo said she was dozing off at one stage which is a sign she's feeling pretty relaxed with the new ride.
    Paul124ac, Boxa and Pob61 like this.