This anybody that USED to be here??

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bill on bike, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Bill on bike

Bill on bike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The reason you never jump over a hill in the desert unless you know what's on the other side.

This report is from todays (11/15/04) LA Times:

Biker Plummets Into Mine Shaft, Dies

Cal City - A 21 year old motorcyclist died Sunday after plummeting
    hundreds of feet into a mine shaft in north-western San Bernardino
    County.
    The off-roader fell into the mine shaft about 1:45pm in the Red
    Mountain area east of I-395.
    A search & rescue team found the man's body about 7:30pm roughly 500
    feet down the shaft. The man's name was not released.
  2. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's happened before out there and it'll happen again. Unless the widow or parents sue and the area gets closed down. EVERYTHING you read about riding out there warns you about this danger.

Still a shame it hapened.

Gerg
  3. Redhurricane

Redhurricane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not me, but I was near there yesterday. Also heard another kid crashed near Lucerne and broke his neck among other bones. Evidently he was looking backwards after doing a wheelie at a high rate of speed and did not see the 6 ft x 12 ft HOLE that consumed him.
  4. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    I know the Lucerne and Red Mtn areas well. Definately need to watch what you are doing. We found this one mine shaft in Lucerne. You could lay on your stomach and drop a rock and start counting. I don't remember how long it took but it was quite a while, something like 10 seconds before it hit. Oh yeah, it was almost invisible as you approached except for some trash laying around.
  5. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of that out there in the BLM land outside of Cal City. We tend to ride up on the pegs unless we're on a graded road just to get a little more visibility.

Yucca and creosote bushes can make those shafts nearly invisible and falling into one would really suck.