This is going to be Sketchy I have a feeling. SC to Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by craigt, Jun 24, 2019.

1. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Pic from along the way of the ocean

DSC_9139.JPG

One thing that has struck me about Canada is that there are no dispensaries. When I was in Colorado they were everywhere and I thought since it was federally legal in Canada they would be everywhere. But during my entire trip I only saw one. I did not smell pot much at all. When I ask some locals about the lack of dispensaries they said that it is so tightly controlled and highly taxed that they are not worth having. I truly thought I was going to see them on every corner and people out smoking everywhere, this was not true at all. There may be more in the big cities but not here. Amazing that it is legal and no one cares about it, I guess pot loses its appeal when it is legal.

Great sunset over the ocean from my campsite.
    20190703_070816.jpg 20190703_210947.jpg
  2. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Day 21

Leaving PEI via ferry to Nova Scotia. I am not going to have to pay the $20 bridge fee to get off the island!! Not paying the $19 bridge fee covers over half of the $33 ferry fee. The ferry ride was 75 min long and they required us all to strap our bikes down. It goes to Caribou N.S.

20190704_102513.jpg 20190704_102524.jpg

I rode up the Cabot trail to Cheticamp NP and the clouds and fog were pretty bad. I looked for a campsite and it was early and none looked too great so I decided to keep going. The sun started to come out and broke through the clouds and left a great cloud covering in the lower areas. The big bonus was that there was almost no one on the Cabot Trail so I could rip through there, and rip through there I did. What a great road not only for riding but also for the postcard views everywhere I looked.
    20190704_145649.jpg 20190704_165557.jpg

When I finally go to the ocean it had a super thick layer of fog on it that was stunning.
    20190704_170132.jpg
    DSC_9142.JPG DSC_9151.JPG DSC_9160.JPG DSC_9161.JPG
    B10Dave likes this.
  3. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    I heard that camping at Meat cove was a great place to camp so I headed out there, after what seemed like an eternity of potholes, slick dirt, and nasty off roading I finally reached. Man was it beautiful but they did not have any spots that were not on a hill or super soft so I headed back down the nastiness. I watched the sunset for a while on a little bend in the road that was incredible.
    Meat cove is the little part that you can see something established in the lower left corner.
    DSC_9167.JPG
    20190704_191453.jpg

The gentleman who runs meat cove is super nice and I would highly recommend staying there. He recommended that I go to Hideaway campground. I arrived there and had a great spot with a view. Very long day with lots of riding and a great view from my campsite. I am happy and the Cabot Trail is not disappointing.

View from my campsite
    20190704_203349.jpg

375 mi and a ferry ride.
    B10Dave likes this.
  4. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Day 22

I finished the Cabot Trail going clockwise and rode it back counterclockwise to Cheticamp NP and found a good campsite.
    The views on the Cabot Trail are stunning and the riding is great in sections, where the riding it not great there are views that are just incredible.

Cool little fishing town if you can call it that, about 10 houses and this marina on the Cabot Trail
    DSC_9186.JPG

You can see how the road follows the mountains to make stunning views
    DSC_9187.JPG

DSC_9189.JPG

DSC_9191.JPG

Beach that is made up of stones instead of sand and people were laying out on it.

20190705_123730.jpg
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  5. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    That night I picked up a live lobster and bought some butter. The adjustafork got some action to break it in. Thanks, @Joe Motocross Next I had to figure out how to attach the lobster to the adjutafork, for some reason he was not as excited about the prospect of this as I was. I ended up using 3 pieces of safety lock wire to hold him on. After I safety lock wired him to the Adjustafork I removed the rubber bands of his claws and proceded to cook him. It took a while to cook but man was it good.

Straped on and ready to cook
    20190705_191229.jpg

20190705_191300.jpg 20190705_192152.jpg

Progressing along nice and slow.

20190705_193502.jpg
    He is getting close to being done, you can use his claws to hold the Adjustafork so they dont just dangle.

20190705_195319.jpg
    Claws are done! Time to start eating! Gotta have the tools for the trade

20190705_200111.jpg

Cooked to perfection

20190705_200621.jpg

This is the life!!! What a great night, no what a great trip. It is easy to take life for granted. The one thing that I have gotten from doing this ride report is seeing how great life truly is.

20190705_200806.jpg
  6. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure more than a few locals gave you a funny look cooking a lobster that way!

A.
    gpfan likes this.
  7. jimbop

jimbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might be a first for the Adjustafork! Hopefully @Joe Motocross see this post. Nice work and nice comments about life.
    chudzikb likes this.
  8. flabbygears

flabbygears Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading up that way next week from md. PEI followed by Cabot trail. Leaving the return trip to maryland an open book for now. Want to get some hiking done in VT or NH.
    I like your story telling skills.
    Safe journey home.
  9. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  10. Northern_Rider777

Northern_Rider777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope when I head there in a week or so, thanks for the scouting report!
  11. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    @AngusMcL I did have one guy come over and say "you know most people just boil bugs around here" I smiled at him and told him it is sort of difficult to carry a pot that big on a scooter.

@jimbop I hope he sees it, this is one of the few things that has truly made life not only easier but fun. I love the adjustafork and it has seen a lot of use since I got it, just got back in from a 8 day canoe trip down the Edisto River (I also used it to dry clothes over coals on the trip).

@flabbygears hope that your trip was epic. If you did a ride report send it to me, I would love to read it.

@Amphib I am doing well, just trying to recover from my prior this summer and plan for the next one (Baja 2020?)

@Northern_Rider777 hope that you have a great trip. If you kneed any information send me a PM and I will tell you what I know about the area you are going to be in.
    Northern_Rider777 and gpfan like this.
  12. sbest

sbest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great post, nice pictures, interesting way to cook a lobster, I gotta try it!
    I'm lucky enough to live here in NS and am kinda amused at the toll highway comments. The PEI ferry and Bridge are totally worth it, for the ride and what you get to in the end. The $4 Cobiquid Pass is worth it too, but is avoidable and I highly suggest you take the old highway at least once, just to enjoy it.

Potholes? Rough pavement, twisty roads? All kinda the stuff I look for. I did the Trans Lab Trail this summer (Spring?) and found it a wonderful riding experience while my traveling partner found it traumatizing. The roads are what they are, ideally we pick a bike and have the skills that can handle it.

[​IMG]
  13. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report.

But surprised no mention of the music scene on Cape Breton Island (not Brenton). For anyone planning on traveling there, if you have any interest in music what-so-ever, I highly recommend taking in some of the local world class Scottish fiddle music and dancing. Stop by any of the local tourist offices, or the local stores for the paper or one of the many pamphlets with venues, dates, times, and of course there's always the interwebs with the same info.
    Northern_Rider777 and Fordfixer like this.
  14. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    @sbest lobster cooked over the fire is great! taste almost the same as boiled but with a little bit of a smokey taste.
  15. craigt

craigt I just wanna ride

Oddometer:
    @woodsrider-boyd they had a lot of music stuff going on while I was there. I ended up being pretty tired, rode long days, and stayed in places that were not near the music scene from what I could tell. Sorry about the misspelling between being homeschooled and autocorrect I get a lot of stuff wrong.
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  16. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool. The Lobster looked amazing.
  17. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Please don't apologize about the spelling, I don't even know why I mentioned it.

For your next Cape Breton trip, keep an eye out for the lunch time cèilidhs if making one of the evening shows or dances is too much after a long day of riding. Besides all of the well known professionals that play the larger venues, there's all kinds of youngsters and lesser known locals who are amazing performers.

And for any of you whiskey fans, stop in at the Glenora Distillery and pick up some of their Glen Breton single malt. Tastes like old socks and peat moss. Yum! Lol.
  18. sprok

sprok Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't ever use Pam cooking spray on a bike. It's canola (rapeseed) oil which becomes incredibly sticky and impossible to remove once it dries out. Canola is terrible, terrible, stuff even on pans.

Did you know canola was a marketing invention designed purely to profit off something that didn't previously exist. Not because it had any merit but because it had dollars that could be collected from name branding. It's a terrible oil.
  19. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Hhmmmm, maybe I could use this as a nipple lube when wheelbuilding. Currently using linseed oil.