This is not Alaska.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Motodoc, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Motodoc

Motodoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Dalton ride I had been planning for nearly a year has been cancelled due to the closed border. So I am now wandering the West with a GSA and a fly rod.

The bike:
    51BD2AD1-9E1C-453A-9C0D-23D42E7821B5.jpeg

The rider:
    1CFDACDB-0EAC-44A5-98FA-735334E4232C.jpeg

The rod and reel:
    CED69965-16E2-4654-B025-7BCDB26906F3.jpeg
  2. Motodoc

Motodoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day One:

I had my way with the great plains in a 1000+ mile slabfest. Ohio to Murdo, South Dakota.
    CECBDB55-161B-4833-95B0-9B745FC75F59.jpeg
  3. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    This could be fun!
  4. Motodoc

Motodoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day Two:

Badlands and Black Hills

6327B805-4805-4C23-996E-DF6941342A12.jpeg

FF31CD8C-10BD-404F-8745-29FEEFBC017E.jpeg

46C29DE8-3508-4B4D-9720-B19FAA4ADE11.jpeg
  5. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
    In. :lurk
  6. sanjuanmiguel

sanjuanmiguel Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice fly rod
    hope your trip around the states is safe
    good riding and fishing around montana idaho and wyoming
    i do believe
    cheers
    Michael
    yokesman and Motodoc like this.
  7. Motodoc

Motodoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day Two (continued).

After thoroughly enjoying Iron Mountain Road and Needles Highway, I headed southwest toward Wyoming. While on US-18 scattered thunderstorms appeared over the Fiddle Creek valley.

8B297099-ECDE-49BC-ADAF-E4C927E2DB83.jpeg

056A71AE-51EE-44F3-B03F-BA64A308E6E9.jpeg

The storms were incredibly beautiful. Unfortunately upon entering Wyoming and turning south, I found myself in the storm. The day turned to night. Lightening lit up the ground around me as thunder directly above shook me. The rain pounded me. The wind gusts coming broadside from the right were more than I could compensate for. I was completely exposed and dozens of miles from shelter.

I had to escape before I was pushed off the road. I turned around and headed north toward New Castle, racing to beat another storm approaching from the west. Once in New Castle I was able to take WY-450 west southwest and punch through the storm head on. I eventually worked over to I-25 into Casper for the night.

DADBA178-2D85-494C-9437-CDCBD55C37C6.jpeg
  8. Motodoc

Motodoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day Three

Today I rode into the Shoshone and Bridger-Teton National Forests to get as close as I could to the origin of the Green River. The ascent up Louis Lake Road was spectacular. Unfortunately the road was closed just after Frye Lake, forcing me to turn back.

Then I headed south, paralleling the Green, into the high desert of Southern Wyoming, crossing into Utah on US-191. I will be here for a few days floating the Green beneath Flaming Gorge Dam. I walked along the A section at sunset. No rising fish, unfortunately, despite thick clouds of midges along the bank. The water is low, clear and cold.

0CDBE646-6FAD-46AC-9FB7-0CF9AC0FF453.jpeg

7F78D390-699A-46E7-A80E-CC4F58FF7924.jpeg
    misterk, jeckyll, Bigbob1 and 6 others like this.
  9. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great alternative trip. Hope you get to really exercise that equipment. Enjoy.
    Motodoc likes this.
  10. ssilliman

ssilliman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    beautiful pictures
    Utah has some incredible fishing and roads
    Motodoc likes this.
  11. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following your ride and wondering about the fly rod you're carrying. I've done a little fly fishing a long time ago and having be itching to do it again. Did you bring waders and a vest full of kit? Don't mean to soil up your ride report but I'd love some advice about how to get properly equipped on a bike trip when you've got a moment to respond.
    Motodoc likes this.
  12. Motodoc

Motodoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day Four

This was one of the best days of my fishing life. My arm is almost sore. The Green River from a drift boat delivers. The cicada hatch on the Green is an experience every fisherman should experience. 18" plus Browns and Bows nonstop. Crushing huge cicada imitations on the surface with violent strikes. I caught a dozen fish on the "sunset" trip in a couple hours. The 5 weight rod was insufficient to pull up some fish. I expected the rod to blow up at several points. Six weight for me in the future. I had to put one Brown on the reel to tire him out. We rowed through some sections and I had a chance to look down at trout scurrying in all directions. 15,000 trout per mile. It's an aquarium.

This is Ryan from Spinner Fall guide service. Book him. Trust me.

456AB172-766B-4B7F-B451-5525BCD8A2FB.jpeg

Back at it tomorrow....

PS: Brought rod tube, waders, boots, net and a chest pack with me in the Patagonia Black Hole. I waded this morning solo and did OK, but it wasn't even in the same league as fishing from the boat. Next time I'm strapping the rod tube to the BDCW Helopad and forgoing the duffle and wading gear.
  13. ssilliman

ssilliman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fished a lot out west when traveling for work and carried all my own gear.
    Might try carrying my gear in September
    always used a guide for 1/2 day and they always marked my map to other spots to fish
    Glad you are having fun
    Motodoc likes this.
  14. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This sounds awesome! We've had a number of customers strap fishing and hiking gear to their bikes and head out on trips like this.

We all could use an epic fishing day. That said if we all did there would be no fish left :lol3

Have a great trip!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    Ginger Beard and Motodoc like this.
  15. Motodoc

Motodoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day Five

Rode 191 south up a couple thousand feet into the evergreen-rich Uinta Mountains. Strikingly different than the brushy high desert north of Dutch John. Spotted a herd of elk about half a mile off of the road. I'll take 191 South out of here tomorrow.

In fishing news, only caught a half dozen browns and rainbows tonight. Beautiful evening, however. Played several fish on the reel. This was a lifelong dream to fish the Green. Fly Fisherman magazine planted seeds in my 12 year old mind which have finally come to fruition.

FE85472C-A456-4FAC-907D-11516D623977.jpeg
  16. Motodoc

Motodoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day Six and onward.

The excitement is over. I'm racing across the Plains to home.

The morning began with a beautiful ride out of Utah on 191. I stopped at Dinosaur National Monument which straddles UT and CO. I knew the incredible indoor fossil wall (1500 fossils) was closed but I wanted to check out the area. The Green River incidentally runs through the Monument.

I then took US-40 east toward Denver. I was going to go through Rocky Mountain NP, however, the ranger noted they were only allowing those with reservations to enter. I headed back down to 40 and enjoyed some amazing high speed switch backs, up to 12,000 feet, on the approach to Denver.

I won't bore anyone with the final slab ride home unless something noteworthy occurs.
  17. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun trip. Alaska will be waiting for you next year, we aren't going anywhere
    Motodoc likes this.
  18. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, this put ideas in my head! Thanks
    Motodoc likes this.