This is "Spock"

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Da Bear, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer:
    DaBearWife has taken to calling it "Spock"...
    It's a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan that my youngest has donated to the project. We'll get to the project in a moment...
    Since my first ride on a bike, I've been a Honda man (Except for the Harley I built in shop classes in high school) After 40 years of riding, a bad fall at work left me with a bad case of vertigo, which doesn't mix well with riding on two wheels. I gave it up and sold everything in 2013...
    Six years went by, and not a day without me missing a helmet on my head, the wind in my face...
    The kid had this bike. It's a Kawasaki, but at this point, I just want to ride...
    So, the idea is, after a whole lot of discussion, to turn this bike into a front wheeled trike.
    Front wheeled trikes are more stable, and the build will cost less than a rear wheeled one.
    Logical...
    So the name "Spock" was given to this bike.
    We live on just $1,500 a month and whatever we can make selling crafts, such as "Magic" wands and the like.
    On another thread a few of the guys here have generously offered to get me back on the road by helping out with the cost of the build.
    DaBearWife and I took our honey moon on a Honda 450 nighthawk back in 1986. 3,400 miles.
    Our 34th anniversary is next may. I doubt this thing will be done by then, but with a little help, It could be by this time next year, and we can retrace our honeymoon on on our 35th, May 31st 2021...
    She knows about the build, just not my plans for a big trip on it.
    She is handling the money, (Woman can squeeze a dime until Eisenhower gasps for a breath) helping source the parts, and keeping track of the build.
    Her estimate for the total cost is around $1,400.00.
    I'm not good at asking for help. But I'm so damned desperate to get back out there, here I am on bended knee.
    I'll post shots as the build progresses.
    First up: Tomorrow we remove the engine from the frame, and start on replacing the stator.
    Oh yeah, we have to do all of the motor work outside, under a carport...
    Winter is coming.
    So, if you're willing to help a guy out, just post that you're in, and I'll post DaBearWife's PayPal info...
    This is gonna be EPIC! Spock.jpg
    Monkeyshines and JagLite like this.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm totally looking forward to this. I saw the idea take form in Shiny Things! :thumb

Pitched in a few $$.
    Da Bear and JagLite like this.
  3. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    In.........:lurk
    JagLite likes this.
  4. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    JagLite and JimVonBaden like this.
  5. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    what are you doing for front suspension?
    JagLite likes this.
  6. MirthfulThylacinator

MirthfulThylacinator Tinker

Oddometer:
    Done ... sharpen your tools, sketch it out and surprise us ...
    good luck and best wishes!
    :clap
  7. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    Looking at the front end off a quad, something along the lines of a YZ450R or the 700R. I'll have the guy 4 places down do the fabrication work, I'm duly impressed with his skills
    and he works cheap.
    JagLite and villageidiot like this.
  8. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    Now, that being said, if the old guy kicks off before then, there are a couple of local members here that have stepped up and offered to help with the actual build. I can glue metal. It 'aint pretty, and I wouldn't trust it on the road....
    JagLite likes this.
  9. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in too. :beer
    I don't recall anyone calling them a front wheel trike before. :scratch

Reverse trike is what I'm used to, and a few call them Tadpole Trikes.

A front wheel trike or a rear wheel trike is rather confusing, the both have a front wheel and a rear wheel, it is where the third wheel is loacted that makes a difference.

I have the book "The A-Z of Three-wheelers, A definitive reference guide" by Elvis Payne.

[​IMG]

HERE on Amazon

It is very interesting but it is primarily focused on three wheel cars with only a few motorcycles included.

I can't find the excellent design article that I read online for reverse trike front ends but will keep looking.
    The simplest is the old air cooled VW beam front end, the newer bugs and buses used disc brakes which are a great improvement.
    To keep the budget as low as possible that is an excellent way to go and can be upgraded if you want later on.
    I'm guessing your neighbor will be welding up a framework to connect the bike frame to the front end and that is not difficult or complicated.

We are all excited to watch your project progress! :clap
    Da Bear likes this.
  10. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    OK, reverse trike.....But it has no reverse...
    brgsprint, JagLite and rantingsmith like this.
  11. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    The neighbour is comfortable with the ATV a arms and accompanying suspension, as that's the way he did his. I don't want to mess with his mojo...I had thought of using a VW front end, but...
    Yeah, just weld a framework to the existing frame and build from there. I'm a big fairing, saddlebags and trunk kind of guy, so this will end up looking somewhat tourish (Invented a new word there, just for this build) It's going to see some amount of grocery getting and camping/fishing trips. The biggest thing though, is that it'll get the wife back behind me on a bike. Ghods I miss that.
    An added bonus is that, I'll get to go on rides with our youngest, who didn't get a bike until I couldn't ride anymore. He grew up on the back seat of my bikes, and he keeps telling me I'm the main reason he does ride...
    Warms my frosty old heart...
    As I said, this is going to be EPIC!
    Tales will be spawned!
    Roads not taken, WILL be taken by storm...Or by sunshine...
    CROSSBOLT and JagLite like this.
  12. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    In; even have cash sitting in the PayPal account. Won't let me donate at that link above however. Care to PM me an e-mail addy

Never mind; think I figured it out
    Da Bear and JagLite like this.
  13. rantingsmith

rantingsmith Quadrilingual blacksmith seat of pants engineer

Oddometer:
    In. I've donated money to far less worthy causes and I know what it's like not to have the $$ for your project. Good luck and keep us updated!
    Night_Wolf, Da Bear and JagLite like this.
  14. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic

Oddometer:
    Why hack it up,looks like a decent rider? Why not sell it and pick up something with a slight whack in the front that needs forks and a wheel for next to nothing and use the profit towards the build?
  15. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i can help out, not on the funds end but if ya need something hauled or the old dude kicks off, i do weld, fab, paint, repairs etc, gimmy a bolt, and an idea and i can build a bike or a car, ive been dumped off some of the rustiest nastiest things that no one would touch only to make them real nice rust free toys in the end

ive also got a fairly descent size blasting cab if ya need something cleaned up...a z50 frame "just" fits but i can do full bike engines, wheels etc in it as well
    Night_Wolf, Da Bear and JagLite like this.
  16. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ATV a-arms, hubs, and brakes are excellent. :thumb
    Much better than the old VW beam and will look much better too. :jkam
    It is good to hear that is what your neighbor is familiar with. :beer

Lots of used parts are available at low cost for them too.

How about posting pictures of your neighbors trike so we can see where your bike is going?

I think it is great that you will be riding your sons old bike. :nod
    GlennR and Night_Wolf like this.
  17. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    It needs a new stator, and wiring harness, which we've (my son) already bought. And heck the wife's already named it...
    JagLite and Night_Wolf like this.
  18. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    Here are a few shots of it on his trailer for it. He hauled it out to Eastern Oregon last week. Wanted to ride around out there, but at 70, he's just not up for a ride that long... Trike 1.jpg Trike 2.jpg
    Yellow Dog, JagLite and Night_Wolf like this.
  19. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    thats pretty slick, something to consider as well would be a wrecked or being parted out side by side, there was one up in demascus for like 500$ on c list not more than a week ago

personaly if i was going to do it id want a "front clip" (basicly cut off just forward of the engine mounts and just past the back of the stem so you can maintain arm angle and such)from a quad, ive actualy got one from a 300ex to do a mod to my 200sx

if you need any wiring done i also scratch build harneses

you might pop into "cheep bike challange" and see if anyone over there has something, they always be flippin and grabbin stuff up, heck id bet you could con someone into trading that bike for a goldwing or something, i too was/am diehard honda..up untill i traded a cheep china quad for a zr7s(modernized gpz crossed with a bit of ninja), love my goz but id trade it for he right honda in heartbeat
    JagLite and Da Bear like this.
  20. rantingsmith

rantingsmith Quadrilingual blacksmith seat of pants engineer

Oddometer:
    So here’s the thing when I told Mrs Rant, she wanted to donate too. So I sent a few more $$ your way. Old guy’s reverse trike (without reverse) looks good!