This is "Spock"

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Da Bear, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer:
    A Arms are here. They're close to perfect. As expected, the spindles are going to be an issue if I intend to use stock Kawasaki wheels. So, how do I work this? Do I have new spindles that match the front axle machined? I'm thinking that's going to be spendy. As it stands, I think this and the radiator will prove to be the biggest issues....
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put a xs850 front wheel on a ural sidecar axle for a guy.

I’d get to measuring and seeing what sort of bearing ID and OD you need. Then hop on to vxb and see what’s available

Easiest way is to figure out what bearings it has in the wheel and hub. Get the ID of the hub bearings and the OD of the wheels bearings. Plonk em into vxb.com and see if there’s tapered roller bearings in that ID/OD. Then it’s a matter of spacer/axle nut and cap.
  3. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    The current spindle only goes about 1/2 way through the hub.....
  4. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    rads easy, longer hoses move it in front of the a arm, either full soft hose or make some hard lines

as for the spindles...how did your guy do it?
    JagLite likes this.
  5. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Money wise, I still like the car rim on quad hub. I am thinking of this type of build myself.

Are you thinking the quad plastic may block too much airflow to the radiator in the stock location? Or are you welding the frame in the same spot?
    JagLite likes this.
  6. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    He made sleeves machined that fit over the existing I think. Then he welded those on, and went from there. He did a mod on the stock Harley wheels and the bearings fit in the wheel, not on the spindle....
    So a non tapered spindle with bearings in the wheel...Seems doable.
    Rethinking the using of the stock front wheel though, they are really wide in the hub. Like 4 3/4"wide.
    JagLite likes this.
  7. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i would follow his lead then and have him do it the same way, as far as wheels go, IMO either go with what he knows (HD) or find something inexpensive and plentiful that will work the same way, nothing wrong with going skinnier since your running 2 of them

if you stick with 16-18 you have a HUGE selection of rubber for on/off road, dropping to a 15 will limit you ALOT, 17 is good for street but slim pickins for dirt 18 and 19 are wide open offroad but 19 is slimmer picking for street rubber

that said and the issues i think again id be looking at front wheels that are plentifull and cheep due to there being just way too many of them out there, dont worry about matching up to the rear wheel, once you luggage it you wont be able to see it anyway
    JagLite and Da Bear like this.
  8. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    If the wheel is too wide, you can source another 7 spoke wheel that will look close,

It’s likely the spindles are just very short and compact due to the short compactness of the quads hubs

Going to have to make a longer spindle and have it properly welded on, and machines down.
    JagLite likes this.
  9. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    Ya know, someone has got to make longer spindles for a TRX 450 R... Not that I can find but someone...
    That or a four lug, 18 inch, narrow rim. all I can find is 18" rims that are 12 inches wide.
  10. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    youll find ALL quad spindles are short, there is just no need for a long spindle as the hub does all the work

as far as a 18inch "skinny" car wheel that would be a custom order, you can easily find 6-8 inch ones but anything narrrower will have to be a custom job, be it 3 piece wheels with short lips, or a wheel shop narrowing a wheel,

HOWEVER, you "might" be able to find a "space saver spare" that would be 3-4inches, finding one in 4 lug would likely be VW/audi tho, hell 16/17 is easily found in ford, even really nice solid aluminum wheels(mustangs lincolns) shure they are 5lug but but an adapter is easily sourced

i would still stick to exactly how your guy there did his, if he needs a shop to turn down a spindle sleeve try steeves machining out side of hilsboro, those guys are not the fastest but you pretty well cant beat them for price
    JagLite likes this.
  11. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they're any relations to the owners of the park we live in, Steeves Mobile City. I'll ask in the morning...
  12. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    If I was running a 4 lug wheel I’d just go with a 4 lug 15” and some tires from a smart car or the like. Tires would never wear, and they’re way cheaper than moto tires. Plus, due to it not being a leaning bike, the square profile would be more contact etc.
  13. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    What is the lug pattern of the hubs?
  14. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    SO. I got the run down on how the guy down the street did his spindles. He had the original spindles pressed out (Didn't know they were a press fit. kinda scares me) Then, he took a steel bar and had it bored the diameter of a Harley front axle. Then he had it milled on a lathe to the diameter of the spindle hole and had the new axle/spindle pressed into where the original spindle was. Then he mounted the wheel to the Harley axle, put on a spacer, and slid that into the hole that was drilled to fit it. Cut the axle to length, and weld.
    Holy shit is this getting complicated...
    I know someone that has a press that can do the pressing out. I need steel bar stock and a fabricating lathe/milling machine.
    This is going to cost me...
    Frame will be here tomorrow.
    Is there anyone local that's familiar with the "Tuxedo Mod" for a vulcan stator? If so want to give me a hand with it? Makes me twitchy...
    If you don't know what it is, Look up Vulcan 750 Tuxedo mod, on youtube...
    Oh yeah, did I mention they called in the guy with short term memory issues and anger control problems for Jury Duty tomorrow? This should prove highly amusing...
    Have bail money on stand-by.
  15. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    So seriously, someone tell me that pressing that spindle in is standard....
  16. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, standard, along with the steering stem on most modern bikes, holding up your front end.
    villageidiot likes this.
  17. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    ive never seen a steering stem that wasnt presed in...they get pressed then welded, i cant imagine a spindle not being pressed, tho i never thought about it, how else would you make a spindle, you sure couldnt "cast" it and have it true, i guess you could chuck a spindle on a lathe from cast but how true would it be
    villageidiot likes this.
  18. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the front wheels. Have you considered using the stock quad hubs and bolt on motorcycle rear wheels from a motorcycle with a single sided swingarm? Like the Honda 800 Intercepter, or don'tsome Goldwings have lug mounted rear wheels. You probably would have to relocate the studs in the hub, but that's a lot less work and retains more parts that would be readily available for on the road repairs, than a totally custom made hub setup.
    JagLite likes this.
  19. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    fwiw... steering stems are pressed in but if its not welded, there is a snapring of some kind on the bottom end so that the stem can not be pulled through.
  20. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aren't some stems clamped similar to the fork tubes?
    I've seen welded, pressed but not welded, and I think clamped.
    There isn't much load on the stem that requires welding, it just needs to be tight in the bottom triple camp.
    A hub spindle on the other hand, needs to have zero movement or it could work loose.
    I think the few spindles (uprights, etc.) I've worked with have been cast or forged as one piece, then turned on a lathe.
    But I haven't worked much on cars...

I would research ways to use the atv hubs to mount the wheels to as a cost effective method.
    I like @sieg suggestion to use wheels from a single side swingarm bike.
    I would see if adapters would be less spendy than relocating studs though.

There are many ways to do things, finding the most simple and least expensive one that works for you is what takes time and research. :thumb
    Da Bear, sieg and villageidiot like this.