This is "Spock"

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Da Bear, Aug 31, 2019.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depending on the bolt pattern it might not be that big a deal, set of 14” wheels from diamond racing or the like aren’t very spendy.

Or wheel adapters into a 4x100 Honda car wheel or the like.
    JagLite likes this.
  2. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Da Bear, I've got a VFR800 and could bring my rear wheel for you to check out, or even just send you some measurements if that would help.
  3. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer:
    I'd need to get the hubs for these spindles, since they didn't come with the A arms. If I go that route I may take you up on the offer.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  4. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Wonder if it’s possible to take the spindles,

chuck em in a lathe
    Turn them flat
    turn a hole in the center to fit the bikes axle/bearing like a wheel spacer

Turn up a new axle and insert from back side and then weld to back of spindle
  5. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Looking at a spindle from an 05 on eBay, the spindles are definitely pressed in.

time to find a machine shop to make a couple spindles.

swap your wheel bearings to ones that are tapered roller and install with one wheel center nut. Should be pretty simple really.

way simpler than my above scatterbrained idea
    Da Bear likes this.
  6. villageidiot

Oddometer:
  7. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I will toss in my advice. Running two MC wheels and tires on the font of this thing. That just seems like a lot of work to fight the function. It's not going to lean it's going to turn mostly flat. So flat auto profile tires will function better.
    They will be cheaper to get hooked up, the tires are cheaper and longer lasting.
    And you will have a larger contact patch and better braking.
    sieg and villageidiot like this.
  8. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    my local trailer supply store has weld in axle stubs on the shelf. hubs too
  9. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    ive got a spare hub you can barrow if youd like its from a 300ex but its the same part for a 400 and 450

theres pros n cons going both ways

i allready found a place online that makes 144 down to whatever pattern you want for under 100$

im certain if you want the spindles turned down or new ones made steevs would be the cheepest unless theres an inmate who wanted to do it

as far as contact patch and tire price your totaly correct, for that matter they make street tires FOR QUAD WHEELS
    https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/street-atv-tires/t111uq7x
    https://www.motoxmall.com/c-hard-surface-tires.html

obviously if you go quad full stock quad youll need calipers, rotors, hubs, but parts will be infinitely availible, if you go custom spindle will parts be as availible?, sure some of it is for "the look" but how much of the look is worth the extra hassle?, id bet if i dug around long enough i could find 15-18inch skinny wheels for quad hubs as id be looking directly at douglass and and ITP, specificaly id be looking at drag front wheels as you can get those is everything down to 10 inch upto 19 in 2-4inch wide at 50-100$, and if you call and talk to the right guys you can get "blanks" its a wheel with no pattern cut, i did this to get a 14? for for a z50, and had steeves mill me holes, heck you could get sand rail front wheels too

seeing the abuse quad setups can handle i see no reason not to run the stock parts aside from the look of the WHEEL only, in which case id just get as tall of a wheel as you can to re-get the look at which point you should be able to run a bike tire, with quads and utv's the markets changed and alot of wheel options are availible, hell even look to golf karts which run quad sizes as well, in fact i think you can get a cragger ss in a 15 for the quad hubs

as a side note, if you did run the quad bits, you could easily get a set of dirt tires n wheels for offroad time, for dirt cheep, heck even if you went rail wheels up front you could then run a dirt bike tire as fronts!
    Da Bear and villageidiot like this.
  10. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    btw the lightest "stock" wheels for a car you can find will be alfa from 80-85, HOWEVER if you want skinny AND light, 80s mustangs and t birds had a "spare" that is aluminum and LIGHT, 4 lug so room to re-lug a new 4 lug pattern into it, FFW to the late 90s and all the way to now, ford has 5 lug 15-18 skinny light aluminum spares (mostly 16/17) found in cv's, lincolns, mustangs, and some suv's, ive even found them in escapes and explorers, can be had at the local pick n pull for 25$ each im actualy sitting on full set of 4 since i have alot of things with 5x114

oh right heres this too
    https://usadapters.com/collections/...apters-1-25-thick-12x1-5-studs-106mm-bore-x-2
  11. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    some of the OEM civic 13's/14's are 9lbs per wheel.

i agree, id be going quad hubs with adapters. or a set of douglas or ITP wheels with street rubber on it. quad brakes, quad frame section. it all sounds too easy.
    Da Bear likes this.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod Like this:
    [​IMG]
  13. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer:
    OK, so If I go this route, and use automotive front wheels, which does sound simpler, is that smaller diameter rotor going to have the stopping power that the larger ones on the original 750 wheel has?
    Also, one of the advantages of a cycle front wheel is ease of steering at slow speeds. Sure, a larger contact patch is great (especially here in the great north wet) but at slow speeds, won't turning it be a bit like a car with no power steering?
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will because there are two of them. The Can Am weights almost 800 pounds and stops very hard. Hell, 13" wheels on a 2000 pound car with tiny rotors will lock them up.
    villageidiot likes this.
  15. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    thats going to entirely come down to the size of the wheel you run, if it were me i would run something as skinny as possible so that isnt an issue, or run quad DOT rubber on quad wheels, hell if you want me to dig around ill see if i can find you a skinny enough wheel to run bike rubber on a quad hub, as far as the "limits" quads brakes, i do not know how far the limitations go on that other than ive had a 200sx fourtrax which is DRUMS that ive beating the snot out of and never found a limit, and have had a 400ex that i beat on now n then but my wife rides like a demon out at diamond mill and we do some long steep stuff and have never managed to get the brakes to fade even in spots where i managed to get my xl600r to fade

in the end your always up against contact patch as well as brake grab, overall tire DIA will be the biggest factor, that said quad front tires are pretty huge at 22-25inches tall depending on what your running, so in theory a low profile 14/15 would be smaller overall than the stock rubber heck i think a 195/50/15 is 25 on the button

as far as effort goes, if you keep it under 195 in width steering shouldnt be bad

i just did a lil digging and the 450r brakes n rotors are a HUGE improvement over the 400ex brakes being dual piston vs single and a bigger rotor, sooooo id have plenty of faith in the brakes, in fact they say the 450r brakes will pull stopies on a 400ex...so yeah no fear
  16. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    the only issue i can dream up would be crazy crazy long down hill with a trailer loaded to the gills IE grapevine hauling 1000lbs of extras, in that kind of scenario you would likely find brake fade due to heat so add some duct work to keep em cool and that should solve that

some limited digging basicly stating the 450 has the best quad brakes out there, if you need to you just get a more agressive pad set for them

EDIT
    looks like theres a few options for a better rotor as well as pads, but beyond that the brakes are OEM overkill

side note on brakes tho...go FULL braided stainless, and dont talk to me about price lol...go hit up "oil filter service" and you can probably do all 3 brakes ie 4 soft lines for less than 100$, prices fluctuate but i get all my braided lines from them as well as fittings, bring the parts that the line needs to connect to and a length and they will give you everything you need, and if you need me to make you some hardlines for it i can do that..i buy 25ft rolls from them now n then
  17. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thing won't weigh near as much as a car. It will have less contact patch than the original quad did and weigh about the same. Quads don't steer hard!
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  18. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have to admit ive done alot of diging over the years into quad suspension vs car stuff, as i dabble in micro cars, sometimes finding something "small" just limits your options and forces your hand, after stuffing a 87 milano's "guts" under a 58 lloyd which required an 8 inch wide body and taking 28 inches from the mid section of the milano(as well as the ends) to do, ive got another lloyd this time a coupe that id like to upgrade WITHOUT the wide body , and have been calculating quad bits vs sideby side bits for quite a few years, sideby side stuff would in all really be the best of the best but finding the parts on a budget is impossible, besides im working with a 1200lb car, and as i shed weight from the stock suspension and switch to quad arms the weight will drop significatly in the end ill likely be looking at 800lbs my issue isnt far from yours tho, i too was worried about stopping force and fade, but the reality on mine is i will be running SKINNY 155 tires IE vintage bug size rubber, so ill run out of contact patch long before i run out of brakes, of course in my case ill have 1 more brake than you will but still, it will be more than enough, honestly ive looked at running bike tires on it cause i could then get a set of whitewalls from a harley, in my case tho i will likely re-use the steering rack

dont over think it, build it overkill by all means but youve allready sourced the best platfrom out there short of a sidebyside, so going with the stock brake setup shouldnt be an issue unless you run some seriously heavy tires/wheels, and now that they make DOT rubber for quad wheels id probably just go that route and say screw going to a 15-17 since there isnt a reason to other than chasing a "look"
  19. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    they can....i had car tires on my 200sx for a while when i was basicly using it as a tractor for moving trailers and cars, i had 195/14s on it, it was harder than it was with quad tires but it was not so hard as to be a manual steering car by no means, anything bigger and wider WILL be hard to steer
  20. Bt10

Bt10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With brake backing plates as well....

But the quad wheels sounds the best