This is why you ought to visit East Coast sometimes

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cyclopathic, Oct 9, 2021.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    One screenshot I better than thousand words. Elevation modulation, tight, steep, banked in places, blind corners.. all with perfect pavement. Ok last wasn't paved last 6mi but it was still a good road. Screenshot_2021-10-08-15-52-38.jpg Screenshot_2021-10-08-15-52-59.jpg Screenshot_2021-10-08-15-55-31.jpg Screenshot_2021-10-08-17-00-41.jpg Screenshot_2021-10-08-17-16-15.jpg
    (dedicated to my friend and you know who you are)
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Yeah but Virginia, home of the most asshole cops in the nation.

.....particularly when it comes to traffic enforcement.
    kraven, colintrax, concours and 12 others like this.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    also home of some of the best 55mph speed zones around.
    kraven, Patch, Ginger Beard and 3 others like this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    majority of these roads have 55mph which you would have difficulty to exceed due to terrain and other vehicles and IIRC some of those snapshots were taken out of VA in WV and KY. And many roads hardly get any traffic so possiblity of speed trap is very low.

And as ahole cops go IMO NY will have an upper hand, just saying
    ozmoses and Ginger Beard like this.
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stay home. It's scary here.
    DSC_0774_085tag4.JPG
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

So many places in the Smokys that you'd fly off of a mountainside if you tried to maintain the speed limit. :lol3
    cyclopathic and AwDang like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I’ve had both state and local cops let me go for numerous tickets, to include reckless, that I desperately deserved. On 2 and 4 wheels. It’s all how you deal with them, plus a little luck.
    the_sandman_454, bomose and klaviator like this.
  8. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Funny how often that applies, and not just with cops.
    tire joe and cyclopathic like this.
  9. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    My experience was that is didn't matter once they saw the DoD stickers, and I was in your neck of the woods, stationed at Dahlgren at the time....

It was worse in Norfolk, we used to call I-64 between Va Beach and the Base "The Gauntlet":lol3

I got a reckless driving ticket and nothing else because my tire chirped over a paint line making a right turn....had to be about the dumbest ticket that I ever got.
    davidji likes this.
  10. dmitriy_adv

dmitriy_adv Dmitriy M

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it qualifies as the "east coast" but Missouri and Arkansas has some of the best dual sporting in the country. Endless paved and unpaved roller coaster roads with almost zero traffic.
    iflysideways, Ginger Beard and RJAMT like this.
  11. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Methinks that is sort of on the wrong side of the Mississippi. :lol3
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should go to Colorado, Utah and Nevada it will blow your mind.. especially northern Nevada.

Yes Ozarks have some nice roads but it pales comparing to what you find in appalachians and New England; I had gone through on the way home after finishing TAT.
    DCrider likes this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes 64 is famous for that; as for Dahlgren you just have to stay off main roads.. never seen a speed trap on VA-218. And in VA anything above 80, lane splitting and even riding 2 abreast is reckless.. just saying
  14. monkeydad

monkeydad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can be; Mostly stay off of commuter routes- I66, 50, 495, 95, Rt 1, Rt 50 etc.
  15. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    It was raised to PSL +20 or 85 a year or so ago.
  16. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    As a young sailor stationed there, 218 was frequently off-limits because kids kept killing themselves trying to get back to base on that road. One of my former roomates died on it about 3 months after I left.

In VA just everything is reckless, they managed to tack it onto everything.

oooooorrrr

Just stay out of VA unless you absolutely must cross it.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moreover, reckless is a felony in VA, so you will have a criminal record if you get caught and convicted. As for 218 they lowered speed limit from 55 to 45 since and it is getting crowded, so it is hard to put a hammer down for more than 30-40sec without running into someone.. can't imagine flying off it unless you get way over your head or run into deer or slick..

There are some great roads in appalachians much much better and harder than 218, and they're not heavily policed once you get out of densly populated areas, YMMV I wish I wasn't riding there blinded by heavy rain after 8hr saddle time; started in Union City on Mississippi that morning in quest to get home in one shot.
  18. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guy shares some sweet mountain swervery and the poor, persecuted warrior can’t stop whining about getting popped in the flatlands.
  19. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Reckless is a misdemeanor.
    Barry likes this.
  20. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    These undulating sorts of roads are all over the Appalachian range along with some other separate parts. The roads are plentiful and winding around likely due to the fact they are an aged worn range with less peaks and roughness, allowing travel over and through the mountains by settlers, farmers, and live stock. They follow winding paths that eventually became roads, leading up and down from farm to farm, village to village. The mountains being worn made it easy to wind around the terrain for the easiest path for the wagons and animals - and deluxe winding roads when they eventually were paved and even now on the ones that never got paved. Just so many places to ride road bikes and dual sports, it is awesome riding.
    Scoozi, davidji and HarveyMushman like this.