This is why you ought to visit East Coast sometimes

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cyclopathic, Oct 9, 2021.

1. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rt 17?
    The back way up to DC and 6-flags.
    You can’t have forgotten that road, and the cops that patrolled it.

For petty ass-hattery though, I think the base police always came out on top.
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Thats the road you would take between Norfolk and DC/Dahlgren yeah, cop every 2 miles or so usually in a cut-out that you can't see until you are on top of it.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    In one of those speed trap towns I have gone 10mph under 30mph speed limit to keep a car behind on my ass and don't let cop wedge between and issue a ticket.. 17 all the way from Yorktown to Port Royal is heavily policed but side roads aren't, so you just need to stay off.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s not a particularly viable option if you actually want to get from one end to the other.
  5. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Everyone should stay out of VA and WV, roads suck and are already too crowded, head west young man! :D
    brgsprint, ozmoses, c1skout and 4 others like this.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here in south southeastern Ohio. Stay away, too many riders too many cops. Go somewhere else. :lol3
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget eastern tennessee and kentucky.. LoL it's enough that NC overcrowded but at least it's tolerable if you get off the tail and explore lesser known venues.
  8. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    there are no lesser known venues. The Dragon is the only twisty road in NC.
    Mr Pou, Sonny S., ozmoses and 2 others like this.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah... that's the ticket. No venues, no need to come east... Yeah... :johntm
  11. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget the state revenue agent behind every tree!
    markk53 likes this.
  12. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    That’s long been a legend since they outlawed radar detectors back in the dark days of 55. I don’t think it holds true today. I live there and have driven in every state but five. Not saying you can get away with absolute hoonery here - you can’t. But they aren’t any worse than any other state. Also, my observation is that the Virginia State Police always drive the speed limit unless they’re pursuing someone - as they should. By contrast, in West Virginia the state police drive whatever speed they desire just going for a meetup at the local burger joint — I know. I’ve followed them.

Now, NoVA cops right around DC might live up to your expectations. But I try to avoid that area if I can.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 Effin' FF county really and some rural small town speed traps but otherwise no different than the rest. He's got the point US 301 and 17 are heavily policed and it would seem like they budget by ticketing GIs.
  14. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Virginia is a police State. Thats the impression I get when I drive to the beach there and see multiple cruisers with radar every 1/2 mile If thats the impression they want to give, they are doing it well.
    iflysideways and anotherguy like this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's "driving to the beach" part; US-50 in MD Eastern Shore is even worse on summer weekends. Revenue generator for local law enforcement force.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  16. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    If we’re going to fuss about the eastern shore, Delaware should not be ignored. They certainly hold their own with regards to enthusiastic traffic policing. Especially along the beach communities.
    iflysideways likes this.
  17. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    That is largely because DELMARVA is a special place, with a special amount of meth involved.

That delta is a seriously scetchy mofo.
  18. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    I thought Ohio had the worst traffic enforcement industry officers in the country and in a way its nice to hear we might not. Of course no one person’s experience proves anything but I thought I would chip in. I was once caught and released for 48 in a 40 ( Rt 16, Hungry Mother State park area). That experience was very contrary to what I was led to believe about VA State police for sure. That was 2017 I think. But since then I have been stopped in three road block /show me your papers operations in Va. (once on 16 just south of Tazewell, twice on side roads 1/2 mile off rt q16 near Troutsville). I dont get the East German style road block operations. Seems like they could generate a lot more revenue with those officers in motion.
  19. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not the cops so much for me that causes me to avoid Virginia. It's the obscene fines they levy for relatively minor offenses. Seems to be typical of commonwealth states. Then again Maryland isn't much better in that respect. It's not about safe roads it's revenue generation AKA theft.
  20. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Years ago Maryland had those signs at the state line, 55 MAXIMUM SPEED no warnings, I wonder if their still a no warnings giving state.
    Forty some years ago I had a brand new GS Suzuki, riding across US.40/48, well after midnight around Friendsville Md. two cars and myself got stopped, trooper said I was doing 97, my speedo said 105 wasn’t going to argue with him.

We sat in the cruiser for probably a half hour bullshiting talking about bikes, he rode some kind of euro bike, he said you know I’ve got to write a ticket for this, hey I understand, wrote it for exceeding 55, pay when you get home to Ky. Have a good evening.

Back then I had numerous speed tickets in Ohio, but back then before we went all 1984 Ky didn’t reciprocate speed tickets with other states, so never went on my drivers record, although Ohio isn’t the east coast its where I found the most police.