This Little Red Piggy is going out West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gtowndualsport, Jun 1, 2020.

1. gtowndualsport

gtowndualsport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,

This year's big adventure will be a trip to Utah and Colorado starting on Friday June 19th and hopefully returning safely to Memphis by Sunday July 5th. We'll be doing the first few days of the UTBDR, the White Rim Trail, Sections 2, 3, and 4 of the COBDR, and another four days of personal dual sport routes in Utah and Colorado. This year, I'm trying something truly adventurous (or maybe slightly crazy): riding a 2020 Honda CRF250L Rally in big boy country. Is the LRP up to the challenge? We're going to find out soon enough.

Here's the details on the build so far.

[​IMG]

2020 Honda CRF250L Rally
    RaceTech Front and Rear Springs
    Flatland Racing Skid Plate
    Mosko Moto Reckless 40 Bags
    B&B Offroad Engineering Rear Rack
    13/42 Gearing
    Renthal Bars
    1 Inch Bar Risers
    Pro Moto Billet Adventure Pegs
    Pro Taper Pillow Top Grips
    Cycra CRM ProBend Handguards
    MSR Liquid Fuel Bottles (Extra Range)
    12oClockLabs SpeedoDRD
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    RAM Mount System for GPS
    Honda AUX Connector Kit
    Battery Tender USB Port

Before I leave, I plan on swapping the stock tires for a Pirelli MT 21 front and Kenda K760 Trakmaster II rear.

Can the LRP do it? Let's see!
  2. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure it can! A dude rode the entire TAT on one. Have a blast!
    gtowndualsport and third eye like this.
  3. Maverich

Maverich I'm not lost

Oddometer:
    I think a 250 will be great for where you're going. Looking forward to your RR.
  4. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you riding or hauling to Colorado? I've done both over the past ten years from middle Tennessee. Looking forward to the ride report as well.
  5. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    motocopter,

I am going with a group. We are trailering the bikes from memphis to Grand Junction this time. I have ridden out there a few times, but used my R1200GSA. It was a great ride. We just don't have enough time to get there and back on the little bikes with our schedule. Once I get the LRP dialed in, I plan on riding out again. I might take the TAT. Of course, that would take so many days that it might have to be an after retirement trip many moons from now. It's hard enough to get two weeks off right now.

Where are you located in middle TN?
    fjmartin and motocopter like this.
  6. Long Trail

Long Trail ADV Willing

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun trip, will be watching.
  7. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a nice adventure.

I've ridden to Colorado once a Goldwing and several times on a Concours 14. Anything with knobbies is trailered. My house is about 35 minutes north of Nashville.

thechief86 likes this.
  8. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    Small world. My sister lives in Springfield and my brother-in-law lives in Cross Plains.

mrbreeze and motocopter like this.
  9. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What? You are not living your life in fear and sitting home? I hope you have a great and rewarding time. From those that may or may not be being told by their wife's that they are not going too far from home anytime soon!
  10. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb.....................:lurk
  11. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're heading south out of Grand Junction, route 141 to Naturita is a lot of fun. Starts out slow but gets better later
    thechief86 likes this.
  12. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And here I was thinking at first that you were doing it round trip on the 250. It would do it, but that's OK, I trailer to the start quite often. Have a great time!
  13. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk IN
  14. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Look forward to following this one, especially being a fellow 2-fiddy rider (albeit the blue version).

A comment/question about the rear tire you're choosing, any reason why you're not going with the MT21 on the rear as well? Asking as I used to run the Kendas on my 250, but swapped to the MTs after a bad experience a couple years ago. Put over 2600 miles on the MT21 rear in Baja, wore really well.

Great setup on the Rally, bet you're going to have a blast ripping on her. Revs are you friend for any climbing...lol.
  15. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    liv2day,

I did some research on the Trakmaster 2. It had great reviews. I did the Lake Hill Motors Dual Sport Ride in Corinth, MS last weekend as a shakedown ride, but didn't want to put 400 miles on the tires before I left. I mounted the TM2 this week and went for a spin on the sandy trails near my house. Deep sand. The rear Trakmaster did very well. Very predictable and hooked up. The front MT21 was a little sketchy until I got the hang of it. At least, it didn't want to continually wash out like the OEM tires.
    liv2day likes this.
  16. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    I am leaving work in a few minutes to go get the trailer. Then, home to do my last minute packing and load bikes. We are going to leave from my house tomorrow around lunchtime. I'll take a few pictures of the bike before I load it.

A few thoughts from my prep so far:

1. The Mosko Moto Reckless 40 is a great set-up. It forces you to pack lightly for a dual sport ride. Pricey, but very high quality.
    2. 13/42 gearing for a CRF250L is pretty low. I can cruise a little above 60 with very little vibration. Above that, it starts to get buzzy. Still, it is a whole lot less vibey than my KTM 350 EXC-F.
    3. I'm already thinking about getting an Ohlins rear shock when I get back. On the LHMDS ride, the rear shock felt overwhelmed on long stretches of really rough stuff. By the time the I finish this trip, I'll know definitively whether the rear shock can hold up to a good torture test with a RaceTech spring.
    4. The LRP feels a lot lighter than it is once moving. When it is on its side, I can feel every pound of pork. I went down in a slick as snot creek crossing on the ride last weekend. Let's just say that the LRP wasn't the lightest dance partner to pick back up.
    5. The engine on these bikes is really smooth. You have to look at the gauge to know where you are in the RPM range until around 7,000 rpms.
    6. This bike is really easy to work on. A couple of basic tools and you can do anything easily. I like how Honda kept the bolts/nuts/fasteners simple and consistent. Easy off and on front and rear wheels. Easy access battery, air filter, and oil plug and filter. Oil changes are quick. I'm not going to go as long as the maintenance schedule allows. I think that it is oil change every 4,000 miles and filter change every 8,000 miles.
    7. My fuel mileage is really good with this bike. I'm averaging above 60 mpg.

Well, I'm off to get started on packing. Starting to get really excited!
  17. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm about an hour south of Nashville.
  18. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    Sitting on ready, waiting to go!

15925376333770.jpg
  19. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    mrbreeze,

Looks like we have a whole Tennessee contingent on here! We should get a middle Tennessee ride together.
    jwc likes this.
  20. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    Date - Agenda
    Sunday, June 21, 2020 - Motorcycles to Monticello through Arches NP.
    Monday, June 22, 2020 - UTBDR Section 1
    Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - UTBDR Section 2 - Partial
    Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - White Rim Trail
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 - Moab, UT to Telluride, CO (Custom Tracks)
    Friday, June 26, 2020 - Telluride, CO to Lake City, CO (Custom Tracks)
    Saturday, June 27, 2020 - Lake City, CO to Crested Butte, CO (Custom Tracks)
    Sunday, June 28, 2020 - Crested Butte, CO to Glenwood Springs, CO (Custom Tracks)
    Monday, June 29, 2020 - Glenwood Springs, CO Rest Day
    Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - COBDR Section 4
    Wednesday, July 1, 2020 - COBDR Section 3
    Thursday, July 2, 2020 - COBDR Section 2
    motocopter, Long Trail and chudzikb like this.