This Little Red Piggy is going out West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gtowndualsport, Jun 1, 2020.

1. gtowndualsport

gtowndualsport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update on the performance of the bike so far.

The bike has been getting it done, but struggling at times. It sure would be nice to have a few more horsepower on the steep climbs. The lack of horsepower makes picking a line a lot more important. The engine is very smooth and linear which helps to maintain control in the rough stuff. I'm getting over 60mpg even on the slab sections. The bike has used no oil. The oil still looks good even after all of the heat in Utah.

The suspension gets overwhelmed fairly easily. The rear packs on washboard or continually rough stuff. It doesn't want to hook up the rear tire after a few seconds. I called Racetech yesterday to order a new rear shock with remote reservoir. They are building it today. Hopefully, they can send it to the Racetech dealer in Rifle, CO to have it installed during our rest day in Glenwood Springs on Monday. I'm also going to have the gold valve installed in the forks.

It will be cool to see the difference while riding the BDR. Expensive, so hopefully worth the cost and trouble.

The tires are doing well. The front Rallycross was a handful until I lowered the pressure. It was great in the sand, but horrible every where else. Now, it is predictable everywhere. It is showing no signs of wear. The Trackmaster hooks up really well until the shock starts packing. It is starting to show some wear, probably 30%.

I'll edit this to put in the mileage so far later. 771 miles so far.
    liv2day, thechief86 and motocopter like this.
  2. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    Friday June 26

Telluride to Lake City

Our planned route was to take the road through Camp Bird to Ouray then Engineer Pass to go up with the COBDR to Lake City. Things just didn't go our way.

Everything started out okay as we left Telluride on Tomboy Road headed to Camp Bird. Right outside of town, the road had been recently graded and was very loose.

15934415195891.jpg

As we got farther up the mountain, the road got a lot steeper and had a lot more loose rock. Tim's rented KLR just wouldn't cooperate. First, it started to overheat. Then, the clutch started slipping. My Rally was really struggling between the low power and the very weak shock. I had to gently last three bike down on one of the really steep sections because I lost forward momentum. There bike actually started going backwards down the hill with both brakes on. Shortly after that, Tim went down. That caused Ken to go down on his KTM. Ken sprained his ankle on the fall. Tim's bike just gave up.

We had one of those come to Jesus meetings within sight of the summit. The Rally now had a completely blown rear shock. The KLR had no clutch. Ken had a badly sprained ankle. The mountain had won. We knew that we needed to head back down. Colorado's mountains can be as dangerous as they are beautiful.

15934415766940.jpg

Attached Files:

thechief86 likes this.
  3. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    Tim started his six mile trip down the mountain coasting with no engine. That dude can ride a bike. We had to stop occasionally because his rear brake would overheat and fail. It took a while to get down and avoid all of the rental jeeps, sight seeing tours, hikers, and obstacles.

15934415091040.jpg

That was one tough ride for Tim. He made it down like a champ. We had to stop a lot. It was really beautiful. As I waited for Tim to descend, I tried to enjoy the views.

15934414924750.jpg

In the end, we made it back to Telluride safely. Tim literally coasted in with no engine, no rear brake, and a failing front brake. The legend of the Jarbidge continues to grow.
    liv2day and thechief86 like this.
  4. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    Tim and Ken stayed in Telluride to lick their wounds. Chris and I rode our bikes back to Grand Junction to get the truck.

About thirty miles out from Grand Junction, we ran into a nasty storm on the plains. The wind was relentless. I was in third gear trying to get to 40 mph. Just couldn't do it. If the wind hit you from the side, it would push you into another lane! It took us about an hour to get through it. Not to mention that my bike had a totally blown rear shock. Good times! The adventure had truly begun.

15934442094770.jpg

That was a long day.
  5. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    Saturday June 27
    Sunday June 28

Unfortunately, we had to cage it for most of Saturday and Sunday to get repositioned to continue the ride. 400 miles of riding in the truck through the most beautiful parts of Colorado. Darn it!

With a little help from the bike rental company, Tim did a great job of repairing the KLR.

IMG_20200629_092024.jpg

Yes, that's a well used KTM 990r. Tim's new ride.

And, with a great deal of sadness, I had to put the Rally back on the trailer.

15928682792690.jpg

The LRP did it's best. In the end, the rear shock just couldn't handle the toughest trails. I have to admit that I would also like to have at least five more horsepower. When I get back home, I'm going to start project Rally 2.0. I already have a new shock and gold valve coming from Racetech. That should cure the suspension issues.

Given the talent in engine building around Memphis, I'm going to figure out how to turn the LRP into a torquey trail bike like the XR200R.

For now, I'm going to "make do" with my 2018 KTM 350 EXC-F. Glad that I put it on the trailer as a safety bike.

15934467757880.jpg
  6. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    Monday June 29

We're taking a rest day in Glenwood Springs. Tomorrow, well be back on schedule to start the COBDR sections 4, 3, & 2 north to south back to Telluride.
    thechief86 likes this.
  7. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    We're really roughing it today. Here's the view from our room.

15934503225890.jpg
  8. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    Just spent a few hours in my "office." Hard times here in Glenwood Springs.

15934589630200.jpg

We're staying at the Best Western Antlers. Great place and very reasonable. They have a great hot tub and fire pits. I'll be back here for sure.

Ken and Tim took off to ride part of the COBDR from State Bridge back to Glenwood Springs. When they get back, we are heading over to the downtown area to find a steakhouse.
  9. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    I had quick scan around and thought the Tequila Mexican place looked a good menu. But steak sounds good.
  10. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat
    thechief86 likes this.
  11. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys made it through. I have to admit though, it sounds exactly like the terrain I can't wait to hit...when it's cooler. Having ridden in 100+ temps and consumed 5 liters of water without taking a piss, I know it's no joke. The terrain and scenery out there is breathtaking, I can't wait to make it to UT and ride.

Thanks for keeping the report going @gtowndualsport :D
    thechief86 likes this.
  12. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    Tuesday June 30

Glenwood Springs to Lake City

Update coming soon.
  13. gtowndualsport

Oddometer:
    Wednesday July 1