1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Thomaston Dam Riding Thread

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Rodknee, May 3, 2017.

1. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    what is that little track like area at the bottom of the hill? Looks like a safe place to bring my 9 year old to practice riding a bit. Looks like there's good visibility to keep an eye on him there.

Just want to keep him away from the MX riders blasting down the trails, he's still learning
    ToolmanJohn likes this.
  2. ToolmanJohn

ToolmanJohn Gravity Challenged but Challenging Gravity and Age

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's just the right spot, very flat. Unfortunately if fills with water when it rains. But it is a simple oval where riders can practice their turns. There is also a nice flat wooded are off the right side of the access road a little way into the are, big pines, but flat and open for the most part, a good place to learn.

I have no idea what the rules concerning small bikes like that are for kids. I know they require registration for "all" bikes, but not sure of a small kids bike. Plates are not required, just the reg.
  3. RRM707

RRM707 Yeah, whatever...

Oddometer:
    You still have to watch the kids on that track down there. I have seen people going opposite directions down there, & sometimes the overgrowth gets thick enough to have to duck from the weeds. So you can lose track of the kids. This all goes back to really needing some kind of directional markers in all riding areas.

Even small kids bikes need to be registered. 50 or 500cc, doesn't matter.
    V8 likes this.
  4. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    You Will get a ticket without a registration.
  5. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    There is another oval in the grass area just below the dam . In front of the big rock knoll that yo see from the top of the Dam. it's pretty easy to get to if you keep staying to the far right on the way down. It's off the main trail and gets few big bikes. It, the flat area in the pines mentioned above and the paved roadbed are my son's (12) three favorite sections.
    I was told that 50cc and up need reg. My kid's Honda 50 (49cc) was OK. has that changed? Not that it matters for us as he is on a bigger bike now.
  6. RRM707

RRM707 Yeah, whatever...

Oddometer:
    gmk999 likes this.
  7. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    Yeah, tickets are up to the rangers discretion. Get the bikes registered, costs less than the ticket.
  8. ktval

ktval Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed
  9. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The little oval right at the base of the dam is a good place to start him. It might be tick tricky for him getting down there as the trails are a bit rocky but not steep. It all makes for good practice.

Unfortunately you will need the OHV reg from the CT DMV. It's not expensive.

If you are coming up from NJ I would definitely call ahead to make sure the area is open. It is an active flood plain and closes often when the water level is too high. The USACE have also closed it on occasion to perform maintenance. All the contact info is listed above. The USACE Facebook page is a good place to get up to date closing info.
    https://m.facebook.com/ThomastonDam/
  10. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep, read all about the OHV registration in CT: not an issue. His bike has a title too (made sure of that one!)

thanks for all the advice!
  11. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Any word on the Dam opening next month with all the shutdowns? I'm afraid to ask on the acoe fb page.
  12. Mikey97d

Mikey97d Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think it will be opening on time but I could be wrong. As far as I know, they have not had the PF in for a scouting party or clean up scheduled yet.
    gmk999 likes this.
  13. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    Was greenway work suspended?
    I don't think it will be open on time but hopefully open for some riding.
  14. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    I was there last week there were tire tracks all over below the dam and the gates (new) were open to below but not to enter the dam itself. What is the current greenway status? opening yes? route?
    I am a local and have heard nothing.
    Mikey97d likes this.
  15. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greenway work has not started yet. The project has not been given any final approvals at this point.

I would not expect any opening before the May 20th date the governor laid out a couple weeks ago. The Feds seem to be going along with local mandates at this time.
    As Mike said, the Pathfinders have not even been allowed in yet to check the trails for winter damage, so we haven't been able to organize a work party.
    keepshoveling, gmk999 and Mikey97d like this.
  16. VirtualVarmint

VirtualVarmint Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The NVCOG has not step foot at the TD. No green-way work is being done. Quite the opposite actually. The project manager and his team are moving forward with their projects: parking lot improvements, access road repairs, grill installations, trail repairs. Remember, the US Army Corp of Engineers (USACE) manages the land. They are the sole entity that would be allowed to build a green-way. The USACE has stated in numerous documents and public hearings that they would like to maintain status quo; keep the trails and park as is. Point your browser to https://www.weridethedam.org/ and keep your eyes and ears open to what the NVCOG are up to.

With that said, the trails will not be opening on May 1, 2020. They are following all local, state, and federal recommendations in place due to COVID-19.
  17. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    I walked the north end (campville) of the property with my son last weekend. It was quiet, no people but a lot of Truck, bike, Moto,and ate tracks around the field area. We were looking to see if there was a trail in that area from the RR tracks. Last summer staying left from the parking area I ended up on trackside on what seemed to be a worn trail in the gravel, I followed for a bit looking to get back to the woods but ended up turning around . (I didn't go far) Can you ride the side of the tracks and get to the far end of the property?
    Also still no Official posting on the ACOE FB page (or the PF page tho I am not a member) about a start up date.. Is there a website with info?

It's like waiting for X-mas.
  18. lonsomecrow

lonsomecrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully it'll be open sooooooon!!!
  19. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    I found this in the comments on the ACOE FB page. Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 3.40.47 PM.png from Tuesday. It was a response to a question asking if they would open trails next week.
  20. Mikey97d

Mikey97d Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping they would take the Connecticut state lead of May 20th although CT never closed hiking and out door trails. Looks like the ACoE will be following the National lead on this though.