1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Thomaston Dam Riding Thread

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Rodknee, May 3, 2017.

1. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now it’s time for all who ride the Dam to be ambassadors of our sport - please be respectful of all dam guidelines, the ACoE rangers and fellow riders in utilizing this precious resource - it’s up to all of us to show we deserve to keep it for generations to come.
  2. RRM707

RRM707 Yeah, whatever...

Oddometer:
    Also, if you have a problem with any of the rules, please don't take it out on the Rangers. As always, they are doing their jobs, enforcing the rules, they don't make them.
  3. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed!
    I personally think what they're asking is well within reason considering the current state of things.
    keepshoveling and Dualsport Chic like this.
  4. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Note that you can’t bring any unplated bikes at all.
  5. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    And the plate needs to be on the bike. Not attached to a back pack or anything like that. They will be checking registrations.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  6. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that tall dude with the Husky 300 going to ride with you again this year?
  7. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    The Pathfinders wrapped up another work party at the Dam today. The trails are in great shape and ready to ride! This week we've cleared over a dozen downed trees and today went on a weed whacking frenzy. We also walked many of the trails clearing a bunch of low hanging branches. The trails were overgrown to mid summer conditions.
    A Huge Thanks to the USACE Rangers and all that helped out!!
    gmk999, Mikey97d, Purch23 and 9 others like this.
  8. Purch23

Purch23 Dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    sweet
  9. P 0 P E Y E

P 0 P E Y E Bald rider Supporter

Oddometer:

I hope so...he put in some time working on the tails and is the only one in Jim’s picture wearing a mask. See you the 6th

It was a productive day of trimming, cutting, raking and moving logs off the trails.

the PATHFINDERS put time in to get the trails in good order.

the US Army Corps Of Engineers met us there and we brought our trucks and equipment right and got busy. Thank you!

it Felt good to finally give a little back to the Dam place where I’ve taken so much enjoyment

looking forward to seeing you guys there and getting to ride the beautiful rocks again.

I hope we all appreciate this exceptional riding area and follow the rules as set by our host USAE
  10. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Really ACOE? I pulled in at 5:15 to a ranger locking the front gate. "Sorry we close at 5:30". I couldn't even ride across the dam to get a picture. I was home by 5:30. Got the car and went shopping instead drove by the dam at 7:00 the rangers were still there. WTF?
  11. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    So you go to the dam that is scheduled to close at 5:30 and expect to get let in at 5:15.:norton
    brgsprint likes this.
  12. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    I live in town I always go to the dam after work. They always closed at sunset.. or 7. It has been that way for as long as I can remember. And 5:15 is not 5:30. In case you are unaware, There are other uses for the dam besides trail riding. So yes. I expect to be let in before closing time.
  13. P 0 P E Y E

Oddometer:
    The Rangers opened the gate at 7:40 am.
    As promised, they checked registrations and bikes. They were very welcoming and totally cool with the 8 to 10 bike loaded trucks waiting at 0730. Hours of being open are clearly posted. Closes at 530

They set up and had a check in station at the gate. I saw and met some fellow PFs that I recognized from the week before at the volunteer session.

The Rangers welcomed us and thanked us for coming. We thanked them also. They said they were waiting for the order to open and are very happy to be open!

The Rangers took pride in telling us about the new picnic area, Trail maintenance, that the Rangers did most of the heavy machine work themselves. They went on to let the riders know that the Pathfinders Motorcycle club played a significant role with a large group...they thanked the PFMC.

lots of Pathfinders were there, wearing the club colors, smiling, interacting with other riders and the Rangers. There were dads and kids, young NETRA riders and old farts like myself and the inglorious old single track enthusiasts....not a single squid, wrong way Charlie or parking lot rooster to be found!

No tail gating, socially distant -

The parking lot was clean at the beginning and end of the day. We checked as we left and everyone had self policed after themselves.

I was in a group of 7 riders 3/7 were PFs

The trails were in amazing condition- low dust, no face slappers and well groomed.

As usual, even though there were approximately 20 trucks in the lot, the trails were not crowded. The lot not dusty and a bunch of very happy, appreciative riders.

It’s a wonderful thing.
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bars close at 2 am. Last call is around 1:30. Walk in at 1:45 and expect to be served.
  15. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    The 5:30pm closure is part of the COVID 19 restrictions set in place. It was on the press release the USACE posted. It's for all Rec areas, not just the riding area. It is what it is. Just because the place closes to visitors doesn't mean the Rangers can go home. They have many other duties.
    The 5:30 closure is so that people won't bring food at dinner time and hang out. It's part of trying to adhere to social distancing.

It should be known that the riding area was scheduled to be part of the Phase 3 opening. The local USACE manager pushed for it to be opened sooner which is why it is open now. And seeing that Comrade Lamont has currently put the phase 3 openings on hold consider ourselves very lucky!
    The trails were also scheduled to close at 4:30 originally. But, again, our local manager went to bat for us and got his superiors to agree to the 5:30 closure.

Again, please understand that the USACE is on our side and happy to have us there. The new rules are temporary and are fluid as with all the other COVID 19 guidelines at this point.
    gmk999, nobody, rkdwp and 4 others like this.
  16. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How people can compare TD to bars is beyond me - the keyboard warriors who never get out and actually use the Dam - just like to stir the pot here. Folks need to be out by 5:30 - rangers have every right to close it whenever they darn well see fit as it would be next to impossible to go chasing people down at closing time.

Folks have to stop whining and be a little grateful we even still have the Dam - and that is thanks to the ACoE and Pathfinders. Show a bit of respect folks - they're in our corner until they are convinced otherwise by those unappreciative of their Herculean efforts to keep the Dam open to OVH Motorcyclists.
  17. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I assume you are referring to me. Did you even read what I wrote? I was supporting the Rangers right to refuse admission 15-30 min before it closes. Nobody wants to have to chase people out after they just got there.

Sorry if my sarcasm didn't come thru.
    Ga. Grizz, gmk999 and V8 like this.
  18. nobody

nobody motomaniac Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going there today,hopefully there aren’t many riders around
  19. P 0 P E Y E

Oddometer:

In case you missed this....
    Mikey97d, V8 and keepshoveling like this.
  20. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    If you plan on riding in the morning (Saturday, 7/11) be sure to call the Dam HQ or check their Facebook page to make sure they are open. We are supposed to get a lot of rain tonight. Flash flood warnings are up everywhere.