Those TKC 80's RULE in the dirt

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Dec 2, 2002.

1. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    relax, dave; i didn't use the term "wussed" out. you were very loud and clear (from the bottom of the hill) about how it wasn't you that didn't want to ride on.

i didn't "forget" anything; consider these facts before you start getting preachy:

1- i didn't ask to lead; i was asked to lead.
    2- i had not been informed that anyone had fallen and was possibly injured until long after that point.
    3- everybody in that group had opted in for what was supposed to be the more challenging ride. it's not my fault if their self-evaluations were off the mark and they put themselves in over their heads; i had never had an opportunity to evaluate their riding skills. (frankly, i didn't think that particular hill was *that* big of a deal, and not having been informed anyone was injured, i was surprised anyone opted out...)
    4- i wanted to opt out of what turned out to be the 'wrong' route that we took as soon as we took the turn that got us started on it, but was outvoted by the people in the group. ignoring the fact that we were given inaccurate directions, the fact is that that trail meets up with the same trail we were wound up on.
    5- it's kinda' hard to take credit for leading a group that wants to make its own choices anyway...

with any and all due regards,
    e

2. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    That this treat was about TYRES.:splat
  3. John Macdonald

John Macdonald Long timer

Oddometer:
    You still have the knobbies on the bike?
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    OH YeaH..... I'm going BACK there A.S.A.P.
  5. John Macdonald

Oddometer:
    so how are they on the street?

do you still have the worn out set too?
    I have another rear wheel coming around this week.
  6. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    On the STREET they SucK,actually they are much better than you will ever spect,they still scarry.
    but on the dirt,,OH man they rule, Is so planted, the rear end still slides under power,but is controlable.

I think is time to go "super camp" and learn how to slide the Little XR100 before you pretend to ride the BiG PiG like is a little bike.
    the many years of mountain bike racing safe My Butt more that ones, you need to be prepare, ready and actually get use to CrAsH,no big deal,if you wear the proper safety gear.

NOTE: the worn out ones are the ones I'm riding,after this weekend they are WAY more worn out that they use Too.
  7. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny thing I noticed is after you wear steep angles on the knobs they stop much better. Seems like more rubber makes contact as they get ground in. Same thing with the sides.

When they're new, watch out! No brakes and the front wants to tuck under on anything fast. Better on the street when totally worn out!

:dj
    R-dubb
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    that more people don't CRaSh with those tyres.
    no wonder the 100MpH sticker is there.
    I was riding them to the limit,sometimes I reach 105/110MpH on a single lane "paved,but bumpy(very bumpy road)" the bike was wandering all over ,the rear end totally losse, you just need to stick with it,and don't get scare.
    like R-dubb say,take it easy if the tyres are new,the older they get, the more stable and planted they become.
    don't CrAsH on the street that will:splat
  9. Streamin' E

Streamin' E Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ricardo,

I've purchased a spare set of wheels to mounting some TKC80's as well. Do you swap the discs when you change wheels, or did you buy an extra ($$$) set of discs? I like the thought of being able to quickly swap wheels without the hassle of removing and reinstalling the discs, but damn, those things are $200/ea x 3.

Thanks,

Erik
  10. John Macdonald

Oddometer:
    I think Braking and Galfer offer discs for the GS.
    Might cost less...
  11. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Galfer's might be nicer, but they don't cost less.
    Best way is to buy used crash parts and put them on the dirt wheels.

:dj
    R-dubb
  12. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Speak'n of TKC 80's my 21" one just arrived at the office.

Fuck is that thing skinny 90/90.

Anybody have any idea what I can expect from it on the big 1150.

I will tell you guys how it performs when I get my Ricky wheel.

As a side note when Rick's wheel arrives I will be a three front wheel man:huh. I may be sell'n a 19" front soon.
  13. John Macdonald

Oddometer:
    Please oh please...
  14. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Wasted rotors that I use on my bikes,is not the best way, but is the only way I have.
    so I have the wheels ready with rotors,I do change the ABS ring ,that is easy,and is not need locktide torque wrench or anything like that, i use to change the rotors but takes about TWO times to change them, than to change the wheels.

GALFER SELLs the stainless rotors for $185 a piece i think,the ferodo, pmf,braking are made of cast iron and they suck in the rain, and then they were super fast(about 25,000 half a YEAR of hard riding) at least the ferodo's that I got SUCK big time in those two aspects.
  15. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    90/90-21 's are shonuff skinny. The TKC is not so skinny as other models in that size, though. Somewhat pointier in profile than say, a Tourance.

It'll be interesting to hear how it works on the oilhead. I noticed a pronounced tippiness on the KLR, going from IRC GP110's, which are more typical DS tires. That feeling diminished as the tires wore in, which happens alarmingly quickly.

If I had money and time for another project (or two) I'd be lookin' for a used 19" Beemer wheel. But since I have neither...I guess I'm just wasting everybody's time now.
  16. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was never satisfied with the disc brakes on my beemers (airhead RS and GS) and, as I had some Italian bikes with cast iron discs that worked great, always blamed the stainless steel. I've used a variety of pads, including stock, Dunlopad, EBC, and I think some others. Lately, I got some Galfer Greens from M.A.P. for the front of the KLR, and...Dang! I am shocked, shocked I say, at their vast superiority to anything else I've used.

Conclusion: stainless rotors can work well with the right pads. Galfer Greens may not be the only ones that are suited to the application, but they definitely do the job.

Tip: Use Scotchbrite on the discs when changing pads to bed them quickly. Credit Vintage Brake for this idea. Might be a good idea when switching wheels, too. Takes only a few seconds for each disc.
  17. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    John, I'll keep ya in mind for the wheel. I will wait until after I try the 21" to make sure I really like it more than the 19"
  18. John Macdonald

Oddometer:
    Have fun with the big 21" wheel in the meantime.

I'll keep an ear to the ground.