Thoughts on electric motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by itnithand, Jan 4, 2019.

1. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ctromley, you forgot one. And that is the perception that people are buying electric motorcycles because they are trying to save the planet in some way. I have discussed this several times with my Zero/Energica dealer. People buy electric motorcycles because of the way that electric motor delivers power and for many the range of current electric motorcycles fits their life. No one has ever designed an ICE that delivers power the way an electric motor does and in some ways that's a shame. But it also isn't likely to ever be done. I love my KTM 1290 SA. But like every other ICE bike it has a certain area in the RPM range where it puts out more power than it does in others. With my Energica Eva 107 the RPM range doesn't matter at all. Regardless of how many RPMs you are running at the torque is there. And that is the appeal for many of an electric motorcycle. And when I roll off the throttle of the Eva the bike slows down very quickly unlike the limited engine braking on my KTM. With the Eva you rarely use the brakes, the KTM, always. On the Eva probably 85% or more of your braking is done by rolling off the throttle, on the KTM probably less than 20%. I love the sound of the KTM's big V-twin but don't miss it at all on the Eva. Not everyone will like the torque of an electric motor, just like not everyone likes in-line four cylinder engines or any other engine configuration. At least right now we have choices and that is the best part.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  2. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And yet there are numerous cities; (Amsterdam, Auckland, Barcelona, British Columbia, Capetown, Copenhagen, Hainan, Heidelberg, London, Los Angeles, Milan, Oxford, Quito, Seattle, Vancouver) that plan to ban all use of internal combustion engines by 2030, and countries; (Costa Rica, Norway, Denmark, India, Ireland, Israel, Netherlands, Sweden) that plan to ban import and registration of internal combustion engine powered vehicles by 2030. In the name of saving the planet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_fossil_fuel_vehicles
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  3. satuple22

satuple22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You don’t mean to say that there actually are climate change fanatics out there, are you? I thought that there were only two types out there: intelligent people and climate change “deniers”. To those out there who believe otherwise, please don’t bully... it doesn’t make you smarter.
    NurseBill and Taurkon like this.
  4. Sneeze Juice

Sneeze Juice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m a die hard motorsports guy. Love cars,motorbikes, and engines.

I could nerd out over certain engines for days, and when EV first started to gain traction I instantly had nothing but negative reactions. Over the years that has completely changed, and I cannot wait for the range situation to be solved.

Just came back from a 7,000 mile trip, and this was cemented even further in my brain. So many brodozers with straight piped exhausts, leaving a trail of smoke 1+ down the freeway with nothing in the bed, and not towing a single thing. I would run into this constantly, and you can smell those disgusting pen15 extensions for miles.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  5. satuple22

satuple22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And you are absolutely entitled to feel that way. My point, which as far as I know is something that has not been addressed by those that would call me a nut job, is the issue of the carbon print and pollutants involved in the EV technology. Aside from manure, from the time of horse drawn buggies, any other man made technology creates hazardous waste. No doubt fossil fuels create many types of contaminants, but if you think EV technology is a zero contamination option, there is either an intentional effort to hide what the contaminants are and what their impact may be in the long run, or a naive sense that because there are no exhaust fumes, then there is zero impact on the environment. That’s the point that needs to be debated, without bullying/insults.
  6. Sneeze Juice

Oddometer:

Obviously electricity isn’t a net zero option, but it’s better than fossil fuels.
  7. satuple22

satuple22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your opinion. I can respect that, but hard data to compare both is nonexistent.
  8. Sneeze Juice

Oddometer:

Meh. Solar, wind, etc tech will evolve rapidly over the next 20 years.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  9. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my electric car, built my electric mountain bike and am buying a Zero because I love the power delivery of electric. Not because of but in spite of the eco-terrorist "believers" incessant bleating of impending doom.. which I must be honest was a turn off.

Just shut up about "saving the planet" and focus on the performance characteristics of electric. That will encourage a lot more of us "luddite Neanderthals" to embrace the technology than the condescending preaching of Gaia worship ever will.

Its not like lithium mining and rare earth mineral refining are squeaky clean processes and until they are it is a stretch to claim superiority in earth footprint. Maybe it is in the long run? Who knows..

For me electric is king for power delivery and low maintenance and I can't wait till it catches up on range. At that point it will be all electric for me regardless of what Gaia says.

Before you eco-warriors scold me from your high tower on not "caring" about the planet, I do my best to keep the planet free of pollution and trash, recycle, stay on designated trails and support anything that keeps it a nice place. But for now shifting the drilling of oil to the mining of lithium and the refining of iron ore to refining of rare earths doesn't really seem much of a step forward.

Maybe a bit? I don't know.. when I drive my electric car and feel that instant and effortless torque I don't really care.
    Taurkon likes this.
  10. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was happy with my ICE bikes, then I goofed up and went and test rode a couple of Zero motorcycles after seeing them at the local IMS show. Don't do it, its a trap!

Flash forward a few months, I just sold my Africa Twin to help fund my SECOND Zero motorcycle purchase this year.

I'd like to say its all about altruistic ideals that made me swap gas for electricity, but its not. The electric bikes are just more fun to ride to me.

I plan on keeping one ICE bike for the rare long trip, but otherwise I'll be riding electric when all possible.

If/when the day comes that an electric bike can cover my long trip needs as well, my ICE motorcycle days are over.
    dogsslober likes this.
  11. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    What are the engine heat differences between those bikes while riding on a hot day?
  12. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I had the same experience. I walked out of the dealership checking my savings account to see how soon I could get an FX.

Picked it up in February and my DSR+Power Tank should be here by the end of the month :fpalm
    NoMoreIdeas likes this.
  13. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one truly environmental "impact" concern I really embrace with electric, although not because of any environmental "impact", is the lack of noise

I don't give much thought to the rest of it and agree, those discussions are more a bunch of "noise" to me... <eyes glazed over>
    dogsslober likes this.
  14. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honestly, the majority of those claiming gloom and doom appear to be from the Right Wing echo chamber. We never hear about "the end of the world" on MSM. I suspect that RW media amps up the charges to get their viewers more riled up. In turn, their viewers then go on to make such claims. A vicious (and devious) circle.

M
    ctromley likes this.
  15. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are correct sir. I am constantly amazed at what the right-wingers claim we sustainability fans are saying. Case in point:
    Let's be very clear here. No one who cares about sustainability and possesses even half a functioning brain has ever even implied what satuple22 thinks has been claimed. It's far too idiotic for a even a fifth grader to suggest. Taking things to ridiculous extremes and assuming they are unassailable facts is a far too common MO from the far right.

Bullying and insults? Seriously? It's called presenting facts and calling people on their BS. Anyone who wants to disagree with any concept presented here is welcome, as long as they can back up their claims. FUD has no place here. Facts do. FACTS, not talking points that have been run through the right wing distortion machine.

If anyone wants to side with satuple22, saying that such ridiculous claims have been made as he/she says they have, please provide original quotes. If anyone wants to disagree with any statement made by anyone here supporting the sustainability of electric motorcycles, provide links to reliable sources. Do that and you should earn everyone's respect, regardless of the content of your comments. Ideas stand on their own merits. Facts are different from opinions. Know the difference.

This is a tough room. We've seen all the tricks before. Play fair and you'll do just fine.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  16. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was at a mega dealer the other day that carried Vespa's. I had one and miss it. Anyway they now have a very Vespa looking electric. I thought it was cool and cost around $7500.00 I was interested until I saw the 80 mile range. That won't work for me even in the city.

I do believe that electric bikes and cars will be very mainstream in the near future. Battery tech is getting better. If that Vespa had a 150-200 mile range I would be all about it! But I would still keep a proper internal combustion bike in the garage.

Rick G
  17. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jarretts, On a hot day you won't notice the engine heat at all from the Zero, V-Strom or the Energica. But if you are in stop and go traffic you will definitely notice it on the KTM. The KTM has a reflective panel underneath the seat and I am sure it helps but it isn't enough if traffic is slow. Once you get moving again the heat goes away. But if you are riding the Energica on a hot day and using CCS charging the battery will get hot and charging will slow down.
    Jarrett2 likes this.
  18. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason they vociferously mention bullying all the time is precisely because they are experts on the matter of bullying.

M
  19. satuple22

satuple22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. satuple22

satuple22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And that gentlemen is the consensus. Pfff!