Thoughts on electric motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by itnithand, Jan 4, 2019.

1. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I said was:
    I didn't say they used MOSFET's in the late 1800's just that they did HVDC transmission back then

Today they don't use MOSFET's for HVDC in the power transmission grid either... never have
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  3. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's another: discovered via my instagram yesterday, allegedly coming soon to indie-gogo. Interesting little city-scoot if they can meet their projected specs and the build quality is up to whatever price point they land upon.

I wonder if they'll address the distinct lack of mounting points for anything resembling cargo.

http://www.rottwellmeyer.com/index.html

[​IMG]
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  4. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back to the OP:
    I'm on my second Zero. The current Zero is just !Wow!
    Yes the range sucks and recharging requires time and attention. Not a good option for long adv rides at present, but a great option for shorter rides, commuting, and most especially having a ton of fun on two wheels. I challenge anyone on this forum to hold back on any negative posts about emotos until they have tried one. E motos are so much fun that the large majority will get it right away.
    Vegas800XC and Monkeyshines like this.
  5. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, it's rather a range majority especially in NA where distances are long.
  6. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am waiting a bit, but I believe my next bike will be an e-bike. I work 4 miles from home. So commuting on a bike is a hassle, but an electric bike could be just the ticket. Get on and go, and no worries about not heating up all the way. I would like to see a longer range. Something along the lines of 180 miles would be great for me if it is reliable. My sister live about 75 highway miles away. If I could go visit her without a recharge, that would be perfect.

Question. Do these bikes have any sort of passive slowing? In other words when I come off the throttle is there any resistance in the system that will slow the bike, or is it all braking? I ask because I have always used engine braking quite a bit in my riding and if I am reliant on 100% braking it will be a big learning curve for me.
  7. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most electric bikes I've tested have adjustable "engine" braking when you let go of the throttle, somewhere between nearly Zero braking to what feels like nearly locking up the rear wheel. Brands, types, and even software versions will have different characteristics.
    r60man likes this.
  8. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    And mercury arc rectifiers are terrifying things just sitting there, live and working it's like watching someone opening a portal to hell in front of you.

And yeah, those have been around a very long time and are still in use.
    SteveAZ likes this.
  9. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://newatlas.com/honda-kawasaki...vrK48-7Lg9K1sgnMp9DDqCJFwiJuWe0Quo70s7TZODTJQ

"Japan’s big four announce consortium for electric motorcycle battery tech"
    "A laconic statement co-signed by Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha could well be one of the most important news items of the year for the motorcycling world. The four biggest Japanese manufacturers have agreed to work together towards standardizing replaceable battery tech for electric motorcycles."
  10. racermx66

racermx66 Suzuki

Oddometer:
    At first I thought I would never buy an electric motorcycle, but now I would definitely get one. The two things the manufacturers have to improve on is range and charge times. I don't always ride far, but I do on occasions ride 150 miles. I would feel safe buying an electric bike from one of the Big Four. From the article it appears they are still years away from something being brought to the market. As far as charging stations being everywhere, we are waaaaay behind in that department.
  11. maddjack

maddjack UFO Pilot Supporter

Oddometer:
    i think at some point they will be a major par of whatever motorcycle market is left. I do think they need to up range and decrease charge time if you want to attract the current gas propelled crowd. I know on a cross country trip,200 miles then a 2 to 4 hour charge isn't going to get me running to the electric showroom any time soon. I think unless battery tech comes up with a HUGE leap in charge density, and recovery time , these are doomed to be short hop, short ride mavens. My 2 coppers
  12. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doomed? Well, 80% of the market is a big piece of the pie. "The Market" is going to satisfy that need first. Long haul folks will simply have to wait. YMMV.

M
    voltsxamps likes this.
  13. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    An electric moto will not be a capable touring machine, let alone a capable adventure touring machine, while I'm still young enough to moto tour

That doesn't mean I won't own an electric moto, I just understand that reality
    Rollin' likes this.
  14. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I really would like to see is charging stations at sit down restaurants with charging times to full charge in 30 mins. Go ride some place for lunch, eat and fully charge bike, ride back home. With real 150 mile range (interstate or curvy back roads) bike, you can ride 250 to 300 miles in one day which is my norm when staying around home.
  15. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This exactly. Who wants to sit around a gas station for 30 mins?? There is a charge station a little ways from me at a whole foods, that sits right next to a Twin Peaks. I'd rather it be in Twin Peaks parking lot but once I have a J-plug on my Zero I'll be stopping by there often.
    voltsxamps and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  16. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure - I just did a botched portion of the COBDR on my DRZ400 a couple weeks ago (about 1000 miles over 7 days), and the number of RV parks with power out numbered gas stations probably 10-1. I'm betting I could get an easy 70-80 miles on back roads on the FX, and thought planning a route and plotting places to charge would be totally doable on that bike. Doing an hour hike at a campground while it charges just adds to the adventure.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  17. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Touring, at least in my mind, requires multiple fast fills, often in somewhat remote areas - whether four wheels or two

It's pretty easy for me to say "not while still young enough to moto tour" since I'm already approaching that point :evil

OTOH I remember "adventure touring" in the 70's and 80's and the range with standard tanks on motos back then I had to carry a spare gallon or so to make it from one gas station to another... but then again, it still only took <5min to fill up everything... I'm not willing to sit around for even half an hour if I'm on tour

But like @jfauerba was suggesting, for an easy day ride, if a charging station is at an attractive place to hang for 30-60min then I can see that use case for day rides on electric in my world... I just don't see that as practical touring - at least my notion of touring...
  18. maddjack

maddjack UFO Pilot Supporter

Oddometer:
    No disrespect but for me , yes doomed, I really don't care about the 80% ( wherever that figure appeared from) I care about the type of riding I do now. Without the ability to tour, its a no go as I don't wish to own or maintain multiple bikes at my age.
  19. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    my biggest issue with electric bikes/cars is what happens in extreme cold/ heat and the associated longevity/reliability issues.

electric cars thus far have shown time and time again to be utterly useless in the cold/heat with dramatically reduced battery performance in the cold especially.

for me directly, i ride year round here in calgary, and regularly ride in -20c or less. if my battery pack drops from a ~150km range down to a ~50km range and i have a 50km commute, i will be cutting it very very close. not worth the stress or hassle.

sorry, but for now, and probably for the next few decades, hard pass.

[​IMG]

now a hybrid motorbike i would gladly ride. as hybrid have been proven technology.
  20. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    C908E21E-99C8-47D4-8CC1-1C6B17A7544C.jpeg

Counterpoint: EV’s account for more than half of vehicles currently owned in cold places like Norway, followed by Iceland, Sweden, and the Netherlands. Gas pumps are even disappearing in parts of Northern Europe as electric vehicles outsell gas vehicles.

[​IMG]

I had no problems driving my Tesla in Canada and saw plenty of other Tesla’s up there in the snow.

4FF08463-D8F4-4800-BC49-B9E16F12E158.jpeg

In fairness, most EV’s referred to are Tesla’s that have proper battery management, whereas I completely agree with you that some EV’s have terrible range and experience accelerated degradation in extreme heat and cold, like Nissan’s Leaf for example, which relies on a less reliable battery chemistry and a passive cooling system.

ex.Tesla uses NCA chemistry (Nickel Cobalt Aluminum LiNiCoAlO2) known for its lighter weight, faster charge/recharge, and longevity as opposed to Nissan’s NCM chemistry (Nickel Cobalt Manganese Ni-Co-Mn) which was utilized for lower cost)

All EV’s aren’t built or managed the same way as neither are gas vehicles. It’s easy to think of gas vehicles that are known for their reliability as there are those who aren’t. When it comes to electric motorcycles, the right chemistries with active liquid cooling/heating can balance the effects of extreme heat and cold.
    ctromley and michaelkozera like this.