Thoughts on electric motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by itnithand, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I also drive my EV year round here in NH. So I have no idea what he's talking about. Your reply covers it nicely.
    ctromley likes this.
  2. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-...ound-the-corner.1357741/page-10#post-38537887

^ Referring to US population (80.7% as of 2012):

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2012/03/us-urban-population-what-does-urban-really-mean/1589/

55% if referring to the world as a whole:

https://www.un.org/development/desa...revision-of-world-urbanization-prospects.html

That said, depending on distance traveled away from home, electric propulsion may not be the best solution for those further off the grid. At this present time at least. Won’t stop me from doing a several thousand mile road trip on one though as I’m comfortable with the current charging infrastructure plus RV parks/campsites with L2.
    maddjack likes this.
  3. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you planning on doing a several thousand mile road trip on an electric motorcycle? When are you doing this?
  4. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    From LA to Seattle & back, along the 1/101/5, as soon as next year on a Zero SR w/Charge Tank for quick L2 top offs along the way.

DEDAEA17-5797-4B1D-B0EC-799AA12F94C2.jpeg

D0F4C379-5055-493D-9A52-C03269ED1978.jpeg 891C2D14-FE9C-4E11-872F-ADE7FAF8AD31.jpeg

Made the RT two summers ago on an FZ-07 and just this summer in the Model S.

3960C154-C839-4396-88B3-F602B65C89C1.jpeg
    42B916D6-4345-4CEE-9ECB-F0FAA41E480E.jpeg

This next run, I’ll be combining my favorite means of transportation with my favorite means of propulsion. :gyro
  5. maddjack

maddjack UFO Pilot Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the charging infrastructure was a bit more solid ( it will be someday IMHO ) ,then I would venture forth. Question ,the rv ,campgrounds thing is only available if you use the campground or is it somehow useable otherwise? The motel chains need to get on the band wagon ,and add charging stations.
  6. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    42C426E1-D844-4E71-AD28-4C457677E67E.png

Pretty robust in the states I travel through. What part of the world do you typically travel?
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  7. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    New England looks good. Note: the app doesn't show everything when zoomed out but it changes as you zoom in and out. If you want. Get the Plugshare app and take a look.

Attached Files:

voltsxamps likes this.
  8. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    How many miles a day do you ride on a road trip? You ride for an hour and then wait how long to charge? Even side roads have 55 mph speed limits, what's your range at 55/60 mph.

Some of my rides on ICE bikes. I couldn't do these trips if I had to wait hours to "refuel".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    NoMoreIdeas and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  9. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    As an urban commuter I'm DEEPLY tempted by one of these cuties:

[​IMG]

Niu M+. 30mph, 40-60 mile range. As a motorcycle it's hardly world-beating, but as lazy man's E-bike I could dig it.
    NurseBill and T.S.Zarathustra like this.
  10. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could see me owning one, but not at this point.
  11. maddjack

maddjack UFO Pilot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not the west coast , Cross country in most cases, to Oregon or Washington. Do a lot in Utah and Colorado, also quite a bit in north and south Dakota and the ensuing travel to get there.I usually shoot for 600 a day to get to where I am doing my riding.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  12. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better question would be how far do you ride between stops. Most electric bikes today would give you about 150 mile range on a charge at 55/60 mph (Zero DSR as an example). Nearly as far as a tank of fuel takes me on any of my ICE bikes. If you're sightseeing, enjoying the backroads, and taking pictures, that is 3-4 hours ride. Equip the DS with a charge tank and you can charge 90% over nice long lunch. Think steak with small glass of red wine :dukegirl (alcohol free wine, of course). Then ride 2-3 hours before coffee break with another charge. Ride 2-3 more hours and have another steak (Ron Swanson style) Then take a walk in the evening and charge the bike overnight. Relaxed and enjoyable ride, enjoy the silence, and attract curious animals, on the photogenic stops. Easily 400 miles per day.

Edit. I was looking at the wrong line for range. 150+ mile range is for city speeds. Range at 55 is just under 100. So it's about 250 miles per day with the charge tank and 2 stops for charging. More if you are on the back roads at lower speeds.

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 19.36.36.jpg
  13. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    I thought about range. My aging Triumph Trophy I can go 200 miles between fill ups, sometimes more. When I'm doing a trip, it's generally a day and I've ran 200 miles at a clip. It takes me 10 minutes to fill up, 20 if I eat. As soon as they have an electric bike with a 200+ mile range over varied terrain (hills, mountains, 2 lane twisties) and a 10 minute recharge.... I'm totally in. I'm just waiting for that to happen.
    Traxx likes this.
  14. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    The Zero DS has a best case range rating of 78 miles at 70 mph, the Livewire has a 70 mile range at 70 mph. Both would be useless on a long road trip.
  15. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Is that range highway, flat ground?
  16. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Harley Livewire -

"Riding range estimates provided following the SAE J2982 and are based on expected performance of a fully-charged battery when operated under specified conditions. Actual range will vary depending on riding habits, ambient weather and equipment conditions."
  17. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    So.... It probably couldn't do my 54 mile round trip to work daily with a mountain and maybe 5 miles of flat ground in between without being recharged.
  18. Mookyzook

Mookyzook n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh you're never going to get me into one of those new fangled ICE machines. Give me my old reliable steam engined vehicle. Shovelling in the coal, making sure the water is topped up and the pressure is right, driving around at hectic 20 MPH plus speeds, the sound, the smell, the heat you just can't replace the experience....
    Allucaneat, imnothng, Mykola and 4 others like this.
  19. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Traxx and Marto71 like this.
  20. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Guess we could stick a baseball card in the spokes.... :D