Thoughts on Electric Motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Designer Jake, Feb 2, 2013.

1. j2wMotorClothing

j2wMotorClothing Journey on 2 wheels

Oddometer:
    thank you for all your opinion and feedback. there might some keypoints you may disagree or agree.. hopefully we can improve these technology for more advance and better bikes for the future, outweighing those disadvantages..
  2. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  3. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm actually glad Americans can't split lanes. Very few have the skills and aplomb like this guy does.

M
  4. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    His video blogs are great.
  5. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Lane splitting is not about riding skills.. American car culture is: roads belong to cars, other vehicle just don't belong; especially when traffic flow comes to a crawl.
    Bicycles and motorcycles are toys, don't belong on the roads even when traffic flow slows to a standstill; it would be justified if someone gets hurt trying to get by when I'm stuck in bumper-to-bumper in my car .

After living in many countries around the world, most of them don't have roads as nice as here in the US, most of them have 2-wheel vehicle outnumber cars;
    filtering & lane-splitting for 2-wheel vehicle among cars are common as pedestrians jaywalking. AFAIK, vehicle fatality in those countries are no higher proportionally than US statistics. In addition, most of those countries have no laws or regulations that pertain to filtering or lane-splitting.

If one chooses to operate a vehicle that cannot maneuver among tight traffic pattern, why hinder other vehicles that can get by safely without problem?

Sure there are cyclists and motorcyclists that set bad examples and ride poorly among traffic, endanger others on the road; but are all cyclist or motorcyclist to be stereotyped as such?

Legal or not, the facts are: filtering through traffic standstill when you have a narrow vehicle is just helping to reduce traffic volume, reduce pollution levels and overall reduce wait time for all stuck in traffic.
    Most American drivers fail to realize that and think allowing narrower vehicles to filter through is somehow unfair for those stuck in traffic with larger vehicles. Sad that people can't think for the common good beyond their own immediate surrounding; that's big problem in current American society.
    Bucho, dowdell and sinned like this.
  6. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You lost me there...
    Teckel likes this.
  7. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lane splitting is ALL about riding skills.
    ADK and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  8. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Filtering is mostly about judgement, being aware of what's going on around you, making predictions about what vehicles are going to do and always expecting the unexpected. It becomes second nature. In contrast to the American cager's attitude to lane splitting as described by @Cat0020 above, if you didn't filter in Paris the car drivers would get pissed off at you for taking up precious, congested road space in the city centre, I'm sure it's the same in other places too.
    sinned and voltsxamps like this.
  9. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    ^ bingo

I've been lane splitting since I learned how to ride in Japan 27 years ago. Coincidentally, the first time I rode in traffic, drivers were honking at me, gesturing me to filter to the front, and away from their cars. I quickly realized that they expect motorcycles to go to the front at each light and filter and they want to minimize the risk of them hitting you as much as you want don't want to be hit by them.

Living in California, I can't imagine living in any other US state where lane splitting is not legal. I absolutely feel safer being between cars than I do in front or behind them.

I've lane split on my electric motorcycle here for a year and a half with no issues or worry. Yes you have to ride that much more defensively and SIPDE sans sound, but cars are very used to motorcycles lane splitting, so much so, they often will create more space for you as they see you approach to allow you to split lanes.

Biggest problem are pedestrians walking in front of you (ie. 3:00 & 5:40). They often will step right in front of you as they aren't aware you're there. I've added a Bluetooth speaker (UE Boom) to the handlebar that I occasionally play to make others more aware of my presence.