1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Thoughts on Electric Motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Designer Jake, Feb 2, 2013.

1. CanadianRocky

CanadianRocky No Bucket List... a Bucket full of Lists

Oddometer:
    Sure, Cold Fusion is not currently Theoreticaly possible, nor are any of the current experiments supportable in peer review, so it might just be a pipe dream.

But it might take a pipe dream to wake us up out of our current Nighmare that is leading to a global catastrophe. And we have to ask ourselves if the effort should not be made because some of us, the ones who could do it, are comfortable at the moment.
  2. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    In the video above, they are running the race bike completely off of portable solar panels that are attached to the roof of the van. It charges in under an hour.

They probably use all of that juice in one 12 minute run to the top, and that bike is not a practical commuter. But still you can see what potential is there... without ever plugging it into the grid at all.

I don't think we have to pipe dream (:evil) to imagine the next generation of batteries and solar panels. We're close. And today's bikes should be able to upgrade to whatever batteries are available five years from now. Like anything else, the costs will come way down when production goes up.

I frigging want one. :tb
  3. Buliwyf

Buliwyf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They could get rid of the rear brake in that pic. Just use the motor for the rear brake.
  4. Renegade_Azzy

Renegade_Azzy Kamen Rider

Oddometer:
    Till you break a chain :eek1
  5. henshao

henshao Bained

Oddometer:
    I have to say, I have broken lots and lots of chains and during those extremely common events I have always needed the extra 10% of braking power the rear caliper provides.
  6. SeeNoEvil

SeeNoEvil Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I know this doesn't exactly fall in to the electric motorcycle category but I just placed an order on one of these babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L63Zn7tSAXw

I've had plenty of high powered motorcycles in my time but this one moves me (excuse the pun), in a different way. It's just opened up a whole lot of riding areas that I could never access before, it's silent and super light.

I'll send an update on mine when I get it if anyone's interested.
  7. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Awesome!! You should definitely post up a review. Congrats on the new toy. I'm not familiar with that brand, I've got some research to do..
  8. SeeNoEvil

SeeNoEvil Banned

Oddometer:
    Here's their website if that helps. http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/

It's worth test riding one if you're looking for something like that. They do all sorts of custom colours and upgrades. This is the same as the one that I ordered. (poached from their Facebook page)

Only 40 more sleeps until I can pick up mine :-)

Attached Files:

9. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course it's a motorcycle. Stealth is just getting back to morotcycle's fat tire roots with an updated design and a different powerplant.

1902 Indian:
    [​IMG]

1902 Norton:
    [​IMG]
  10. SeeNoEvil

SeeNoEvil Banned

Oddometer:
    Obviously someone here's stuck in the 1900's. Let it go old fella... you can't go back. :rofl

Here's another video that I found today. This one cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sW4sjiW2Vo
  11. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any idea on how the Stealth fits into the rules of the road? It is fast enough to disqualify it as an electric bicycle or moped but doesn't have the equipment to be a street legal motorcycle. I am guessing in many states it will be off road only. It wouldn't be road legal in Washington anyway. Looks like a real hoot!
  12. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    I wondered about that, but assumed it would be legally considered a bicycle without any license requirement. I thought it said top speed was 25 mph, but maybe that was a different model.

I see the current crop of electric bicycles basically being ridden just like bicycles; sometimes on the sidewalk, lane splitting, etc. I will look into this. :deal
  13. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Stealths are different animals. They have three bikes, two with 7 hp (5,200 W), speeds up to 50 mph, and either 50 or 30 mile range, and another with 5 hp (3,700 W), 37 mph, & 40 mile range. They are all motorcycles under Wasthington State law but not elligible for licensing as sold. It would be interesting to know if you could get a plate with a light, horn, and mirror kit just like a KTM XC. Hhhmmm...

Edit - Washington State law.

RCW 46.04.169 Electric-assisted bicycle.

"Electric-assisted bicycle" means a bicycle with two or three wheels, a saddle, fully operative pedals for human propulsion, and an electric motor. The electric-assisted bicycle's electric motor must have a power output of no more than one thousand watts, be incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than twenty miles per hour on level ground, and be incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the device beyond twenty miles per hour.

RCW 46.04.304 Moped.

"Moped" means a motorized device designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and having an electric or a liquid fuel motor with a cylinder displacement not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters which produces no more than two gross brake horsepower (developed by a prime mover, as measured by a brake applied to the driving shaft) that is capable of propelling the device at not more than thirty miles per hour on level ground.

RCW 46.04.330 Motorcycle.

"Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle designed to travel on not more than three wheels, not including any stabilizing conversion kits, on which the driver:

(1) Rides on a seat or saddle and the motor vehicle is designed to be steered with a handlebar; or

(2) Rides on a seat in a partially or completely enclosed seating area that is equipped with safety belts and the motor vehicle is designed to be steered with a steering wheel.

"Motorcycle" excludes a farm tractor, a power wheelchair, an electric personal assistive mobility device, a motorized foot scooter, an electric-assisted bicycle, and a moped.

More edits -

Here are the motorcycle requirements. It might be elligible for a plate with a kit but don't forget the DOT approved tires.
  14. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Good info. So, definitely not a bicycle!

Now that washington allows any dirt bike to get a plate with a street legal kit and inspection, seems like there should be a way to get these on the road if desired. Very cool.
  15. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    And the fender requirement. Although the shop I used was willing to "work around" those requirements with my dirt bike. I would love to see one on the road.
  16. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is your local dealer:

Seattle E-bike

570 1st Ave S,
    Seattle, WA 98108
    Ph: +1 206-344-8000
  17. SeeNoEvil

SeeNoEvil Banned

Oddometer:
    Here in Australia they're clearly classed as a motorcycle but in all honesty, when you see someone riding one, visually it passes as some kind of weird looking bicycle... so they don't really stand out... not to me anyway. I know that loads of people own them in the USA and that there is a street legal mode which limits the power and the speed. There's a whole stack of talk about them here. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...d=ee14f0e36d0f577012425d7587f000b6&start=9000

I tried switching to the street mode when I test rode it and while it took away the power surge, it was still a lot of fun. Because it literally makes no noise, nobody would know you're there anyway.

I don't really care about any of that. I'm not planning on a whole lot of street riding, and I'm willing to take any risks that it brings because it's so much fun to ride.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
  18. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to your full report! :thumb

The no-noise thing is very weird at first. The guy that was loaning out his Zero to people at the track had apparently seen the thing flipped by unsuspecting first time riders, because he must have said this a thousand times: "OK, right now? It's ON. Do you understand? Because if you yank on that control, you are going to loop it. I've seen it happen. Got it? IT IS ON RIGHT NOW."
  19. SeeNoEvil

SeeNoEvil Banned

Oddometer:

Funny you should mention that. I was kind of curiously looking at the throttle and then gave it a twist (after I was told that the bike was on) and nearly wrecked the dealer's bike.

After that little episode it wouldn't happen again but I find the best way for me to learn is by my mistakes.

There's another thread running on this which I joined a few days ago. You can find it here. There's a guy that's had one for years and seems to speak relatively highly of it. He even compares it to his old model Zero. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25239480#post25239480

39 sleeps.
  20. slugsmasher

slugsmasher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting and disappointing to see how the "electric motor powered mountain bicycle" will change the future of mountain biking on actual bicycles. The only thing I can foresee is lost access to all mountain biking trails due to electrics destroying the trail and scaring the crap out of other users because the owners use them as "bicycles" on non motorized trails.

If E-mountain bicycle users limit themselves to established motorcycle trails and OHV areas then this won't be a problem (I'm sure all ADVers think this way right?) But that is going to be a pipe dream once big bicycle manufacturers like Trek start marketing this crap to mountain cyclists as an alternative to actually pedaling your bike uphill. Once people figure out that you can just throttle up that technical climb without having any real riding skills of physical ability then it is all over. Physically challenged folks and gravity riders who don't want to shuttle will increase this market and we will lose everything that is good for pure cycling in the mountains in the form of no more access to trails for any and ALL mountain bikes.

Putting this technology on a motorcycle based frame (i.e. no pedals) and enjoying the efficiency and silence on motorized trails is a good thing. Putting it on a mountain bicycle not at all intended for road transportation is the worst idea of all time for cyclist access to non motorized singletrack trails all over the world. If these things get popular the impact will eventually change access to trails for cyclists and will become a land management agency nightmare. It has taken many decades for the mountain bike community to negotiate, build and maintain the access to non-motorized multi-use trails all over the world. I only see E-mountain bikes as a threat to all that hard earned effort.

Sorry this type of controversial marketing pisses me off and I don't like it. If you get one, ride responsibly on authorized trails, thanks.